Anonymous whistle blower claims Gearbox stole from SEGA

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Feb 25, 2013.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Source: http://www.destructoid.com/gearbox-embezzled-aliens-colonial-marines-money-246558.phtml
    Sega awakens blog: http://x.co/vcSy

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Why am I not surprised by this. :rolleyes:

3. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I'd rather have BL2 than A: CM (demo version), it'll be interesting how the BL2 DLC pans out from here on.

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Oh look... it's this rumor again.

This has come, gone, been passed around... posted, reposted... and reworded countless times since A:CM was released.

I've seen people throwing this rumor around constantly. And now, some sites are rewording things saying the money was used for Borderlands 2 development and to buy the Duke Nukem IP.
    Give it a few days, soon the rumor will include how the money also paid for Furious 4 and Ubisoft's new Brothers in Arms game.

Word is SEGA supplied 60 million. And, despite that being an huge sum of money, in terms of video game development... it's not that much.
    Specially when you consider the cost of outsourcing to TimeGate, Nerve and Demiurge.
    And the cost of the internal development Gearbox did on the game.

And, the rumor doesn't even make any sense. With 2K throwing ungodly huge amounts of money at the development of Borderlands 2... why would Gearbox need to take money from SEGA for BL2?

Short answer is people are disappointed in the game and lashing out at Gearbox.
    It's the same as the rumors that jumped up when Gearbox bought DN from 3DR. All the rumors that 3DR had embezzeled money from 2K...
    When, in truth, 2K never paid any money into DNF's development. They paid 3DRealms for publishing rights to PREY.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Why does all this matter? The game was a disappointment. End of story. Let it go already

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    This entirely.

7. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Yeah, I think the best way is that we all are must just forget about ACM for good...like we did with DNF. But we won't forget this:

[​IMG]

8. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Thousands of people wasted their money. That's why.

The quality of the game and the E3 demo make it a kind of fraud. People shouldn't let it go, they should be even more annoyed.

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You're telling me you have never made a bad purchase based off of a demo before? I know I've made several. Demo's don't represent the final product.

Early adopters for any product whether it be hardware or software are bound to get burned by a bad purchase at some point. That's the risk you take when you just HAVE to buy it on the release date.

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Then who do you blame for that? The article seems that Sega should be blamed, if they stumped up the cash then they should have had someone overseeing EVERYTHING the developer was doing, if the developer was not delivering then Sega should have held them to account. It seems that Sega even decided to pull the plug and then decided to revive the project.

The two outcomes are

Sega stumped up the cash and then did no over watch on the project to ensure that the cash was going towards producing a quality game

Sega stumped up the cash and at some point in development saw that it was not going the way they wanted but pushed on and released the project purely to recoup the invested money

It's all very well blaming GB for the final game but the article seems to indicate that Sega was either utterly unaware of what was going on with their invested cash, or was aware and went for a quick cash grab.

Not really, it's a demo subject to change the very nature of game development, ok in this instance this was an extreme example of it but I was going to buy A CM but instead decided to wait. I only had to wait one hour after the midnight Steam unlock before the first user reviews had rolled in and I knew not pre ordering it was the right decision.

11. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    I didnt have to buy value lasagne and eat horse meat doesnt mean it's right! :)

Difference here is demo was a lot different.

You know what I seem to remember some fake screenshots re shogun2. Guess what company involved...

SEGA

12. charliehamster

charliehamster Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    It's little wonder that games developers churn out so much crap with that sort of attitude.

13. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Because people keep buying it then realize their mistake about it afterward... only to buy the next iteration and repeat the process.

Let's stop preordering, day one buying, getting hyped by PR talks, etc. Those are far better things to do (or rather, not do) than talk about baseless rumors.

14. iako

iako Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 LIGHTNING
    Why not just wait for the reviews before you buy? Then if you find out it's a pile of doggie doo-doo, don't buy it. Only way the end user can make a meaningful statement...buy denying the a$$holes a sale.

I was really looking forward to this game, but I didn't pre-order specifically for that reason.. and if you look at how many games have left people pi$$ed off in recent history it should be a no-brainer.

This pre-order $h!t has become a massive money maker over the last few years..some people letting these companies hold their money for months, collecting their interest... and then serving them a cold turd.

What's that saying?... "fool me once.... "

15. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @iako,
    it is not about "pre-order"...at least for some. Personally, I didn't pre-order it (thanks, god). It's about "waiting and believing" - Myself, as many others, was waiting to play in ALIENS: Marines about 4-6 years...waiting to plunge deep down into Aliens universe as Marine commando...waiting to be amazed and such. Now what we've get with this piece of sh@t?..just a shame.

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    But you still bought it. If you had waited till the reviews came out you could have saved yourself some money. Just like I said in my previous comment, if you buy it on day 1 you take the risk of buying a turd.
    Like iako said, pre-ordering has gotten way out of hand. The sad part is, most people pre-order games on Steam to get stupid TF2 hats.

edit: i re-read your comment and noticed that you said you didn't pre-order it. I also don't see the point to pre-order any digital distribution game these days. It's not like Steam or Origin are going to run out of keys for a new release.

17. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Really?! xd
    ...but it's so stupid :)

18. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    "Demo's don't represent the final product."

Unless of course the demo specificly says "this is 100% actual ingame footage" with Randy himself saying that this is the actual gameplay. Which it did, and he did. Aye there`s the rub. ;p

19. kapo

kapo Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    Ingame footage and Final product are two different things you know.

20. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    he did say what you see here is what the player WILL see ingame if i remember correctly , yet the final product looked nothing like it tbh