0.99 GB of RAM?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by codeoverride, May 14, 2006.

1. codeoverride

codeoverride Member

GPU:
    Intel 900 Integrated Graphics
    I bought a computer that came with 512MB of RAM (two sticks of 256MB).

Today I finally purchased another 512MB of RAM but when I check the "my computer" properties, it tells me that I have 0.99GB of RAM.

Is that normal?

*The computer is a Sony Vaio RB30.

P.S.; I bought the RAM at Circuit City for like $25 bucks after rebates. It's the Kingston ValueRam. Do you guys know if that's decent? I noticed that there are more expensive RAM around. I use mostly Photoshop and Illustrator and was running out of memory..

Thanks! :)

2. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I've read articles about RAM, saying that Kingston ValueRam was cheap yet of good quality, so you shouldn't worry about this.

About the 0.99 thingy, I'm pretty sure there's a graphic chip that uses local RAM, that's why you see 0.99 instead of 1.00.

My two cents. ;)

3. Rootwiler

Rootwiler Active Member

GPU:
    8800GT 512
    could it be that the Vaio is useing some memory for onboard videocard or something of that nature?

4. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    yeah, if you're using onboard gfx they steal just enough memory for it to be displayed as 0.99GB of ram. no worries, the ram is fine.

5. codeoverride

codeoverride Member

GPU:
    Thanks for the replies.

I just got a message when booting my computer:

"Maximum memory performance is achieved with matched DIMM'S.
    The installed memory in Channel A is not equal to the ammount of memory in Channel B. Maximum memory performance is achieved with equal amounts of memory installed in each channel."

I seem to have 4 slots to stick memory into. My computer had 2 sticks of 256MB RAM in it already but they were not side-by-side (there was a space between them - I think that's where I placed the 512MB). Does that mean that I should put the two sticks of 256MB RAM next to each other and the 512MB RAM away from them?

Thanks!

6. Scythe

Scythe Guest

GPU:
    Asus Rx 480 Strix 08G
    Yea put the 2 256mb sticks in two banks next to each other then the 512mb stick in the bank next to them, You may be able to get dual channel mode also with the three dimms.

7. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    it may have onbaord graphics
    either get a new gfx card
    or live with it (its normal)

8. codeoverride

codeoverride Member

GPU:
    Thanks, I just switched the RAM around.

I am thinking of getting a PCI-E graphics card but I don't want to spend too much money. I use my computer mostly for Photoshop, Illustrator, and a little bit of Premiere, as well as some light gaming.

I'd like to get a graphics card with VGA out to connect to the TV (cuz I think that's just really cool) and DVI output to connect to my monitor (Dell 2005fpw) because I hear the image quality is improved by doing so.

Can you guys recommend a graphics card? (I'd also like to be able to use the monitor's vertical rotation feature which I can't right now with the built-in graphics).

9. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    are you sure you have a pci-e slot and not agp?

10. codeoverride

codeoverride Member

GPU:
    I think I actually have two PCI-E and no AGP

That's what it says in the description of the Vaio VGC-RB30 that I looked up:
    Expansion Slots PCI Express x16 x 1 • PCI Express x1 x 1

How do I know which is which? I would guess the x16 is faster?

Last edited: May 14, 2006

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    to start.... Scythe.... no, he can't get dual channel. Dual Channel can only be with sticks of equal amounts of memory, and only in sets of two, four, or six (if you actually have 6 slots for memory).

as for your questions, codeoverride...... video cards only come in the x16 version of PCI-Express. PCI-Express x1 is, at this time, only really used for stuff like USB2 add-on cards.... some sound cards..... stuff like that. The one thing i'm always worried about though with upgrades related to retail PC's, is power output. before we recommend a video card to get..... could you do us a favor and look on the power supply in the computer and tell us how many watts output it has? (would also be another useful thing you could add to your profile then too)

12. Xaser04

Xaser04 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE UV

Er no you can't.

Dual channel mode can only work in pairs (2x sticks or 4x sticks). Also the dimm slots are normally arranged in pairs (colour coded). This would be why the stick were seperated as they were setup to run in dual channel mode.

13. codeoverride

codeoverride Member

GPU:
    When I opened up my case to put the memory, I looked at the power supply. I think it is 300W

When I moved the RAM sticks, I took the two sticks of 256MB and put them together (they're no longer both in "blue" colored slots but they are now together). I had to do that so the new 512MB stick wouldn't be between them. I haven't got the message that I posted before when booting my computer since :)

Thanks

P.S.; Just looked up my computer (Vaio VGC-RB30) on a website and it said this about the power supply:
    Voltage Required AC 110/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
    Power Consumption Operational 305 Watt

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  14. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    300 watts doesn't really leave much room for a good video card. i'm not even sure what would be usable without risking hardware failure......

15. codeoverride

codeoverride Member

GPU:
    man.. that sucks. I thought they'd put a decent power supply on this computer. It's only a year old!
    The power supply does get really hot also - blah!

Is there any graphics card that might be worth looking at? If nothing else for the VGA out and DVI as well as a little bit improvement in gaming?

16. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Maybe a geforce 6200. A geforce 6600 / 6600GT demands too much power for a 300W. I mean, with a very good brand PSU it would be OK, but else... Well, you get what I mean.

17. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 6800 Ultra 425/1120
    Hm... 9600XT? Should outperform a 6200, not too greedy on the juice.

6600GT - marginal at best. Might work, probably not.

18. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    remember that some times the psu's built into name-branded pcs are often advertised as the average wattage and not peak. it could peak at 400-450 like what you would see as a 400-450watt psu (a lot of dells psus are known for this), but say 300watt operational. a more important thing to look at is the amperage on the 12v line which is found on a sticker on the side of the psu. there should be a table with voltages and amperages, what does that say?
    also, you could see if the psu is of a standard form and size (atx, m-atx, etc) and purchase an upgraded psu as well, if you really want a beefier card than what it can handle.

19. codeoverride

codeoverride Member

GPU:
    I just checked out the Power Supply. Here's the info.:

Bestec Model ATX-300 -12EB3 Rev:S2(s)

Output +12va /18a +12vb /18a
    300W Max +5v / 25a / -12v /08a
    +33v / 25a / +5vsb / 2a

+5v & 3.3V 180W Max
    +5v & 12va & 12vb & 3.3v 288W Max
    +12va & 12vb 22a Max

S/N 05020075588

Hope I got everything written down right. I wasn't sure what to copy down so I just wrote everything

20. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    18 amp should be fine for a 6600 / 6600GT in my humble opinion.