EA Kills Online Pass Program

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 17, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In a surprising move EA has decided to end its Online Pass program, citing player displeasure as the reason.EA is doing away with its Online Pass program from this point forward, a decision the video ...

EA Kills Online Pass Program

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    EA could cure every disease and lead the world into a Utopian age and I'd still boycott everything remotely related to them. They'll never get a cent out of me.

They're probably just saying this because upcoming console games will require locking each disc/game to an account anyway.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Is there anything EA doesn't kill nowdays?

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    itself??

5. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    You know, I complain a lot, but is there a single post where you aren't complaining or being completely negative? If EA were to pull such an impossible feat would you really boycott them in such a childish manner?

With that said, EA can suck a dick.

6. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    *yawn*

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Ever heard of hyperbole? Though in reality they're really never going to get any money out of me. Amazing that if I make 3 posts in a row that don't praise something, someone gets upset about it.

What's there to be positive about, you know I'm most likely right. The companies who like this sort of pass are free to force games to be locked to accounts on the upcoming consoles. So far it seems MS are considering making ALL of the next Xbox games like that.

The only hope is that they change their minds now in the bit of time left leading up to the (likely) Christmas release. There is a difference between negativity and reality. But you know, maybe I just shouldn't say anything if people are that sensitive.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Maybe they have finally appointed someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to video games, you know some like an actual gamer rather than a pen pusher who is only in it to make money. They need to learn to take care of their customers and alienate them by trying to squeeze every last penny out of them.

The next step is getting a god damn patch out for Sim City so we can play it offline on our own, they said it couldn't be done and hackers proved them wrong by hacking the game code and showing us that it could be.

Then do away with Origin and embrace other companies like GOG, and Steam, and others. Work with them to get their games to as many people as possible.

Finally come up with some actually good games, sure keep Battlefield series going, give Bioware a shed ton of money tell them to spend it on a Star Wars game, shut the door and let them get on with it instead of interfering.

Jobs a good un.

9. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    My point was that if EA were to get its **** together and actually be a legit good publisher/developer, would you still boycott it?

Nah I agree with what you're saying, it's just that I usually either see you complain or post negatively in frontpage news threads.

10. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I don't think it was a bad idea to curb the 2nd hand market, every single console game I have is 2nd hand or those completed singleplayer ones just rented.

This atleast made me consider to buy new for multiplayer... but then I have the PC for my multi shooters.

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

If I was dying of gynaherpasphiliaids and EA offered me the cure, I'd tell Larry Probst to shove up his ass :arnie:

And then proceed to buy Medal of Honor Warfighter 2 :eyebrows:

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Double post.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Hyperbole. The problem is that a company only ever really changes when it's financially forced to or if the people behind it change to a very different kind (as in new people, the bad guys never change personality/opinion). In EA's case neither of those situations are likely to happen. They make heavy profit on almost everything they output and any replacement/new employees they get in the positions that make decisions seem to have the same trash attitudes and disdain for their consumers with common sense that the old ones did.

Just between their worship of DRM and nickel-and-diming I can't tolerate them. I wouldn't have even minded it very much if I was forced to be online for a legitimate reason and their servers went to crap for days. It's not for legitimate reasons. It seems that everything they do just affirms that they believe their customers are mentally handicapped.

This (finally) ONE "good" thing they've done may turn out to be literally nothing if Microsoft's plan goes through. Naturally they know what MS's plan it.

14. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    EA doesn't do things for the good of Gamers. The only 2 reasons EA stopped the online passes is because:-

1) It was giving their tech support team a headache everytime a player installed DLC on Mass Effect 3 and their online pass auto de-authorised itself.

2) Gamers just weren't shelling out for stand-alone online passes. The money wasn't coming in.

So for EA, online passes weren't profitable and they were a pain in the ass for them to be put right when they went wrong. Don't be naive

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

qft^