Should i add a 2nd 7970??

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Predator, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Predator

Predator Guest

yeah man check it out and give it a go, i saw people reporting good news about fixing micro-stuttering for CF rigs

http://www.overclock.net/t/1234579/7970-crossfire-bf3-microstutter-issue-resolved

that's one user with eyefinity and 3-monitor setup but it serves to single monitors as well of course :)

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    @Mr. Terry Turnip & Predator: Thank you for the kind words!

Predator, I didn't know that. I'll be sure to try as soon as possible.

I currently don't have access to my CrossFire setup (long painful story), but I might have access to a friend's.

I'd have thought changing the flip queue with VSync on (at least, no TB) would only change input lag (as you would be reducing the "old" frames being needlessly displayed)?

Reducing flip queue to the minimum possible was always a good idea anyways, with powerful setups at least.

Cheers guys.

3. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Damn I love using RadeonPro and its Texture LOD tuning. (You guys should give it a try, try -2 for example).

I'm playing TERA and from what looked like a garbage can looks now like a masterpiece of HD Fantasy Graphics whatever megajawdropping texture detail.

I was seriously just rotating the camera around the character to see the crazy detail. o_O Will post a vid soon lol. Wanna show you guys. xD Sorry for the offtopic though.

4. Predator

Predator Guest

So anyone tried Radeon Pro software and fixed CF micro-stuttering with the flip queue setting already? :)

I might be borrowing a 7970 from a friend soon so i will report back asap as well

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I wish I had the time to do so, but I might manage sometime the end of this week. Do tell us how it goes with you.

Anandtech have published an article where they talked with AMD about the stuttering issues seen on single and multi- cards. AMD have mentioned that their driver that's dropping in July will add a control for choosing between emphasis on latency (input lag), or emphasis on smoothness (reduce microstutter by delaying frames).

Most probably Nvidia does the latter to reduce microstutter on their cards. This is excellent news for AMD multi-GPU owners. Now we can have a choice between:

1) VSync on, no tearing, no microstutter, 1 frame of input lag added, the control SHOULDN'T work here because VSync adds 1 frame of input lag and eliminates VSync no matter what.

2) VSync off, reduce microstutter, added input lag (undetermined, probably no more than 1 frame, if not less, same goes for SLI)

3) Dynamic VSync on, use 1 for 60FPS, and 2 for <60FPS by choosing option to emphasize smoothness (I hope it's smart).

Along with the superior scaling offered by CrossFire, if this method reduces scaling, or not, more options are always welcome, and control is welcome (as far as I know, no such control exists for SLI).

This should be very interesting!

I'm guessing Flip Queue reduces microstutter because it causes a "delayed frame" effect by storing frames?

6. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, pretty much.