Malwarebytes update deletes legitimate system files

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Whoops ? The popular Malwarebytes rolled out a faulty update earlier this week that flagged legitimate system files as malware. The security firm confessed to the mistake in a blog post on Tuesday, an...

Malwarebytes update deletes legitimate system files

2. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I stopped using this piece of trash 4 years ago. Products like Kaspersky automatically uninstall it due to incompatibility.

3. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    My PC must've slept through this particular update. Fortunately, I've never had anything like this happen to me over the years, but then again, I never allow any security suite to do anything automatically without my consent - and if it did, it'd be off my drive in an instant.

4. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    At least include the forum message that describes the steps to fix the issues rather than just reporting the screwup...

Affected users go here:
    http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=125136

I wouldn't use Malwarebytes as a full time, always on scanner, but they're still one of the better scanners out for the quick scan.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Kapersky is hardly the last word in security.Version 9 made my system Bluescreen. While this isn't a reason to ditch it completely neither is this mistake by Malwarebytes. Mistakes happen and the update was only live for about 8 minutes and they removed it.It is still a good tool to have along with others as no one thing fixes everything.

6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

It's not a trash, i'ts quite good anti-malware program actualy, it's Chameleon is very nice anti-malware program for removing all sorts of malware on highly infected systems.
    I'm also using Kaspersky Internet Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version, without real-time protection) for years now at my home computers (never had less than 4 computers at home, currently I have 5 PC's, all of them are using KAV/KIS + MBAM) and never had any problems with MBAM. But if you use it with it's real-time protection + virus real-time protection (Kaspersky or any other) then you can expect problems, both of them are trying to do a same real-time protection jobs in the same time witch is obviously disaster waiting to happen...

You probably had forgotten about problems with Kaspersky update some 2 months ago when few milion users worldwide were left without internet on their Windows XP PC's: http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/144699/ One of my computers at work had that problem, detailed uninstalling and reinstalling of KIS 2013 solved a problem. But that small problem with KIS back then didn't shake my faith in Kaspersky, that could happen even to the best so don't judge about MBAM badly just because you don't use it more than 4 years. At least their reaction was fast and they offered a quick solution for problem for their customers.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    1. Malwarebytes is great
    2. Kaspersky does not automatically uninstall it

8. Andrés

Andrés Guest

How can they roll out a definition file without testing it first?. Someone obviously missed that step.

9. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    That problematic update didn't affected all users of MBAM. Different OS's with different combination of programs, there is no way anyone can predict such thing like this problem. None of my computers with installed MBAM were not affected with this, also I don't know anyone here (believe me, I know a LOT of people here who are using MBAM) who had a problem with MBAM and that problematic update and here in Serbia MBAM is very popular piece of software.

10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    How come i dont use antivirus for over 5 yeras now and i don't have any viruses ? ( tested last week with 2 online scanners )

I find them totally unnecessary for me.

11. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Careful and lucky would be my guess lol.

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Same here. No virus protection or anything here since vista beta 2. Just windows firewall. And I use my cell phone for internet right now as well.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Malwarebytes is awesome.

However I haven't used an active AntiVirus in years, only MWB to scan dodgy files.

Why bother with a firewall? Are you expecting someone to hack your PC....?

14. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

^^^this

But even if they don't want to pay for some commercial AV and anty-spyware/malware software there is no reason not to use some descent and free AV and anti-spyware/malware software like Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebyte Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware...etc. Something is always better than nothing, not using an AV is like thinking: "...I always check with who I'm going to bed..." or: "I don't need a safe-belt in my car, I drive slow..." ...until one moment and then it will be to late for regret.

I also don't remember when I stumbled on some virus or any kind of malware in past 5 years when I was surfing on internet. But today when almost any device has an storage space inside like mobile phones, tablets, MP3/MP4 players... not to mention USB flash-driver, USB hard-drives...etc ...you can stumble anytime on some fool who has one full of "autorun-type" od viruses waiting for some other fool to hook it on their PC, laptop and to spread themselfs to that device and do some damage.

So people, don't be "smart", use some descent AV even if it's a free one. Think safe, be safe...

15. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Descent firewall is almost a must nowadays, besides preventing unwanted inbound communications coming from internet to your PC descent firewall is also capable to prevent outbound sorts of "dirty communications" from your PC to some remote location on internet. Many types of malware located on some infected rig can use such outbound communications to make a "welcome" for other types of malware and to open them a backdoor for entering into infected rig and then in most cases carnage of OS will happen in a matter of minutes, hours, days.... Believe me man, I've seen that many, many, many times...
    Using a descent firewall program is not a stupid thing, for example install and use for a while some program like PeerBlock, don't open any other program for browsing internet for example and you'll see how much unwanted internet traffic is happening in the background and you are not even aware of that.

16. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Likewise, and on the rare occasion I suspect something bad has found its way in I always go straight to Malwarebytes and usually sorts it out :)

I remember I once went in a PC repair shop asking for a job and his first question 'If you had to remove a virus from a PC what software would you use first?'
    'Er.. Malwarebytes'
    'Perfect' the guy said, lol

17. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Difference between "preventing" and "suspecting" in case of though malware can be like difference between:

"...OK, my anti-virus has just blocked that malware from entering my rig.." and

"...god damit, my OS as acting weird, some kind of malware is preventing me to run or install any kind of anti-malware software, this OS is unusable now, now I have to find some time that maybe I don't have to reinstall OS, drivers, programs..."

Because of such stupid thinking coming from I-don't-need-protection people I'm making a money for living, I've build my company on it, driving a expensive car... ...how can people be so naive thinking that they are safe in "minefield" if they are walking slowly lol

18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    those saying antivirus not needed when they will scan their system with a proper quality full time antivirus it is gonna find more than 100 viruses, good luck profs.

19. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Nobody is ever making any money out of me because of trojans or silly malware.. I never click an add, I never click a 'trap' download banner/button or anything similar, I read comments on all torrents to make sure they're fine, I reinstall windows whenever I get bored, so it really really isn't a problem :)

I have just never ever had anything so serious as you are making it sound.. Not since Limewire/Kazaa days, lol.

20. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I didn't say Kaspersky way any good either...search "Kaspersky" on the BBC News website and you'll see the mess up they made recently for Windows XP users.

Nope I haven't forgotten about Kaspersky issues, have a look at the Kaspersky thread right here on Page 2 of Frontpage News on this very forum. You will see that I had a right dig at Kaspersky. I'll quote it to save you time...

I didn't say Kaspersky was any better or worse though, see my comments above and the Kaspersky thread on page 2 of Frontpage News.

KAV 2013 does automatically uninstall incompatible products. Malwarebytes is one of them. So my theory is that it's automatically uninstalled. If it doesn't than another issue for Kaspersky to fix haha.