Mouse drivers won't install

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Palerider, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I don't know whether this goes in hardware, software, or here.Problem seems to be a combination.I added 2 gigs of memory so I could allocate more to a virtual machine.When I rebooted,I got an error saying my mouse & keyboard (logitech)couldn't be installed.I uninstalled setpoint, and tried to reinstall it but it keeps crashing during instillation.I've tried 406 4.7 4.72 all with the same results.
    In hardware manager, i keep getting a fatal error when trying to update the driver.I've since removed the new memory, and tried a system restore, but I still have no luck.Am I missing something? Any ideas would be appreciated.

BTW, a Lot of people have fixed this by renaming a file in system32/drivers folder.I tried but that didn't help either.

2. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    Are you able to use the mouse and keyboard after uninstalling and deleting the setpoint software and then letting Windows install the default drivers?

3. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Yes they work but none of the extra functions are available.Windows don't really install default drivers.A message box comes up telling me they couldn't be installed.In device mgr. they are listed as HID compliant mouse & Keyboard.If I try telling it to update the driver, I see "Logitech HID compliant " but it can't finish the installation.After that,my cursor moves but I can't double click on anything.I need to hold in my power button to shut down.

4. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Did you try to delete the drivers in Device Manager? Sometimes deleting the drivers in device manager and then restarting the computer will get working default drivers to install.

My Logitech G5 has drivers from vista load automatically and the different buttons and wheel works but the setpoint lets me add the stuff like faster "polling".

Here is what I would do which is not very elegant. I would grab an old keyboard and mouse and then see if those work. If they work without problems then I would search the entire computer including hidden files and folders for "logitech" and "setpoint" and delete them in safe mode and see what happens when the logitech equipment is reinstalled.

If a mouse and keyboard from another manufacturer does not work then it is beyond me. If the problem is specific to logitech then it would seem that there may be some file in documents or apps that is messing things up.

5. GSXR1300K

GSXR1300K Banned

GPU:
    8800gts g92x2 sli
    u most likely didnt hook the mouse up to the same usb port as before you put the ram in.
    this is common and there is only one way to fix it. this happens to every person that i know when updating setpoint drivers.
    delete or rename : C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdf01000

6. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Thats the one I referred to in my OP.That fix seems to have worked for everyone but me.I've deleted it, and renamed it, no luck.
    I deleted the driver, and started up with a generic mouse & KB, they work fine.I re started, and hooked up my Logitech stuff, and they were detected, but windows couldn't install them.Set Point still won't install either.Heres the message I get at start up:

[​IMG]

Maybe I'm not doing something in the right order?

@GSXR1300K-Thanks for joining to answer my question.I see it's your first post.I appreciate it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  7. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Did you delete the following four folders in safe mode: Program Files\Logitech, Program Files\Setpoint, ProgramData\Logitech, Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Logitech?

I have Logitech, Razer, Creative, etc and I think that all of these hardware peripheral manufacturers do a terrible job of making things work with the computer.

8. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    A tiny bit of progress...I uninstalled whatever setpoint was left through add/remove, went into safe mode and deleted every logitech file found in search.I didn't even have a few of those folders you listed,are you in Vista? I have XP.
    Anyway, in device mgr. my KB & mouse now show logitech compliant hardware- but set point still won't install.It crashes about 3/4 through, when I restart, I have about 400 processes running, all LuLnchr.exe I guess it has something to do with their updater.
    If I'm looking at a clean install, I'm taking this Logitech crap and chucking it in the road.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  9. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    You probably already did so but did you search both "system files" and "hidden files" and also look for any file titled "setpoint" in addition to "logitech"? I have vista but did have a "setpoint" folder right under program files that was not in a logitech folder.

10. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Yes, I searched everything.I'm not sure the instillation was far enough along to have created the folder.The installers kept crashing.

Anyway, I appreciate your trying to help, but last night I just did a wipe & clean install, and now setpoint 4.72 is running without issue.

11. GSXR1300K

GSXR1300K Banned

GPU:
    8800gts g92x2 sli
    thats cheating just reinstalling the os.
    when that happens again then there are many files laying around the core system files that will not be found in the standard search unless you know the exact file name. there are some system file replacements also that need to be deleted so that after a failed install of the drivers they dont try to reinstall at boot...i wont go into anymore because you cheated, lol.

12. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    LOl ok, so I'm a cheater.But, please do list those files.I found gobs and gobs of people with the same problem, and it'll help them too.Also, I hate clean installs.I'd just as soon have not done it.
    Aside from the wdf01000 file fix, what other things need to be deleted?