Unknown USB Device Error code 43

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Vegetables102, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Vegetables102

Vegetables102 Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 780Ti SC
    Hello! I'm having quite some difficulty figuring out what's causing this, I hope someone can help me sort this out. So out of nowhere, one day I started my PC in the morning and got a pop up window saying that a USB device was unable to install. I head to Control Panel and find it listed under "Unspecified" and it's named "Unknown device". I click it and go to the "Hardware" tab and see it says "Universal Serial Bus Controller". It says this beside Location: "Port_#0001.Hub_#0003" and this for Device Status: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" and lastly, the producer is Microsoft apparently and this is the Driver Date: 21/06/2006.

One very strange thing, however, is that my PC waits at the manufacturer boot screen way longer than usual. I look through my PC and while I'm in the manufacturer logo screen my Motherboard has a digital number showing "98". After I pass the manufacturer logo screen however, I boot normally fast. (I'm guessing it's not the SSD since the code 98 means it's searching for something? Normally it would be A1 or A2 or something I don't remember). I had recently (Not even a week ago) installed an SSD and my boot speeds were amazing and they still are, it's just this manufacturer logo screen that takes a long time.

Motherboard:

AsRock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3

Things I've tried:

Checked driver updates for it in control panel
    Installed drivers from my motherboard CD
    Checked windows update (nothing)
    Plugged and unplugged all USB devices (Issue still persisted)

USB Devices plugged in currently:

Logitech Mouse
    Razer Keyboard
    Logitech Webcam
    HP D110 Printer

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Do you have anything plug into the USB3 on board header? I was having this same issue on the board in my sig at left. Like you, slow loading screen times.

After trial and error I found that the issue was the header/driver. I disconnected the usb3 device (which was a card reader, usb3 slot combo from Rosewill), and issue went away.

If not, disconnect one USB device at a time, until issue is found. GL

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    For which device, I get this now with my Sony mp3 player guess its internal rom got fuxed up or something and now its dead so to speak..
    I can still recharge it though, at least something.

This code usually means "dead" HW.

4. Vegetables102

Vegetables102 Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 780Ti SC
    Yeah but I did unplug each but the problem did not go away. I unplugged EVERYTHING, restarted and still had slow load time. The device was still in the control panel aswell. This is just a really frustrating issue :(

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  6. Vegetables102

Vegetables102 Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 780Ti SC
    Wow. That software really revealed alot about this damned device. So apparantly it's my WLAN Adapter and I went to its website, tried installing the driver but it keeps telling me it could not be installed (Positive it's the right driver and version). My PC tries to do that everytime I start it and fails aswell (Updating the device). I'm really starting to think it's actually faulty and that it needs replacing. What do you think? I would upload pics but this place says I need 10 posts for it apparantly. Sigh. Do you think I should replace it?

This is what USBDeview shows:

Device Name: Port_#0001.Hub_#0003

Description: Realtek RTL8188CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter

Instance ID: USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8176\00e04c000001

7. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Thanks for this, didn't know about this software.

It sounds like the culprit and wouldn't hurt to try. I would think by just removing from PC it would not try to search for drivers.

8. Vegetables102

Vegetables102 Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 780Ti SC
    I can absolutely do that, but on USBDeview under the "Safe to unplug" column it says "No". Is there a safer procedure to unplug it? I mean I'm not even using wireless. I'm using Wired internet connection. Do I even need this adapter in the first place? (Sorry if dumb question but I'm a nooblet with pcs).

9. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    If you don't use it, get rid of it... same goes for anything else in the bios that can be disabled if not used.

10. Vegetables102

Vegetables102 Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 780Ti SC
    Yeah, I'll try but can you please tell me if there is a safe procedure to removing it or do I just shut down pc, open case, and take it out?

11. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

That's all there is to it.

12. Vegetables102

Vegetables102 Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 780Ti SC
    I just removed the culprit. PC now boots up fine and all problems have magically disappeared. Thanks alot! Btw, I can purchase another one of those adapters off of NewEgg for relatively cheap, should I do that? I mean, I don't even understand this thing fully. Do I only need it for when I want to use my PC wireless or does it serve some other purpose?

13. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

It's only needed if you wanted to connect to network via wireless, it servers no other purpose than that.

If you do for some reason in the future require a wireless connection, I'd suggest a proper wireless pci-e card.

14. Vegetables102

Vegetables102 Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 780Ti SC
    Hmm. The little USB device I just pulled out was hooked onto something like that (Searched for pics of wireless pci-e card) but not sure. I'm bad at this stuff, not even sure how I could install that wireless pci-e card.

15. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Curious, how did you obtain PC? Was it purchased retail, used, or custom built? It sounds like that USB adaptor was connected to some sort of an expansion card that uses a PCI/PCI-e slot.

16. Vegetables102

Vegetables102 Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 780Ti SC
    I got my PC from a website like CyberPower. It was custom built and delivered to my mouse. On the card that I just plugged my WLAN adapter out from also had another usb adapter plugged in beside it. Think it's bluetooth maybe. I want to post pic but site doesn't let me still :(

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Just an idea, but did you also install USB 3.0 driver from your mobo CD?
    It's separate from chipset drivers usually.

The reference was to "Universal Serial Bus Controller" so it may be the USB itself rather than a USB device.

Chances are the device (wireless adapter) just makes the error manifest itself.

Your other USB peripherals are probably connected to USB 2.0 ports.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Cool, nah if you dont use it at all dont bother with new one :)