I think i should lay off the english.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by StewieTech, Oct 1, 2013.

1. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Ok, so i´m Portuguese and the only language we speak here is portuguese. I´ve been writing a lot of english for the past 2 years and now it seems i have developed a problem. I´m speaking portuguese and all of a sudden i want to say something in portuguese but only remember the english word for the whatever i´m thinking. That happens A LOT. Just this morning i wanted to say mão(hand) and couldn´t remember the word; like wtf, how can i forget that.

Anyway it´s a fact i have some burned fuses, but there´s a lot of non-english speaking folks here in the forum; i´m wondering if this happens to anyone else.

And what are your thoughts on this silliness?

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Happens to me all the time, only in 3 languages. English pops up

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i am speaking (getting my IT certifications in) spanish at (work/school),i am thinking in my native language and speaking in it with my wife,i post on the forums in english and i am trying to get some german classes.
    happens a LOT to misplace or misuse words,and my friend is always thinking that i have some nuts rattling loose.

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I have this problem when in other countries, mainly France, not so much in Germany as my German is better than my French and many Germans will actually speak English to you, but never in England, thankfully (native language).

5. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I imagine heavy weeaboos or anime/manga translators have that issue, only for them it's intentional. (actually anime even mixes English/Japanese all the time. Whether it be text, or dialog.)

If you watch a lot of foreign films, or even just youtube vids (being subscribed to a foreign Let's Player) you can start picking up mannerisms or speech patterns.

Kent Paul
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPIqZ8B4_hc

I think that's when I started saying "Oh, piss off" from playing Vice City.

Also, StewieTech, I would of never guessed English wasn't your first language. Even this being forums you come off really fluent.

6. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I speak French english and that's enough for me lol.

7. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Nope, I don't have that missing words problem. My native language is Indonesian, and I don't use English extensively. I only speak English to my students (it's a must, school's rule). To my colleague, it's a mix between Indonesian and English.

At home, nobody speak English. My wife can speak English a bit, but her pronunciation is weird and often makes grammar mistakes, so I don't like speaking English with her.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    happens a lot when im thinking about tech, you know.. the thing that made me learn this lenguage in the first place, i think it is pretty normal

9. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I'm 100% Norwegian, but at least at least half of my thought activity is in English. It's ****ed up.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Ofc it happens, i always use english when i can't remember the words. :D

11. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    Happens to a lot of people i know from work. For me it's not forgetting words but dropping foreign words randomly in sentences without realizing it.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I think in English even though it's not my native language. When speaking another language I often end up having to translate from English because the thought that pops up is in English, I don't immediately remember the words in another language, that really annoys me. So I have your problem +1.

13. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Now that is interesting!

While on the subject, I can't imagine thoughts without language, it's very hard for me to picture that. Although, sometimes I wonder if spoken/written language is too imperfect to get our ideas, memories and feelings across.

14. Vardant

Vardant Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Happens to me all the time. I even dream in English from time to time.

15. Miller

Miller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660ti Signature FTW
    As a native English speaker I don't have this problem; however, I have a sort-of 'inverted' problem.

I am disabled through illness and the illness leads to me having a very poor memory, getting confused etc. Although I only fluently speak English I love languages. When energy permits I actively study Old English and have a real fondness for Norwegian and German (having studied (and loved) it in school). I also know a little bit of Thai.

My problem is that, due to the confusion I get, I'll be speaking or thinking in English and suddenly find myself needing to use a word but only being able to find its Old English, German or Thai counterpart.

Anyway, credit where it's due to the quality of English you chaps speak. I never fail to be impressed at non-native speakers who pick up the language so well.

16. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    The thing is, if your native language is not english and you try to learn english, it´s far easier than the other way around. Because english is everywhere. We have basic lessons of english through school and high-school; we go see a movie and they speak english; we play a game - same thing; we´re a 12 years old kid trying to figure why a certain game is crashing, and we have no choice but to google, read and learn english or we´re screwed. We´re a 18 y.o. collegue student learning C++ and we have to deal with english books. If i wanted to learn, say, french, i´d have a pretty difficult task at hand too. For you guys that speak english since birth, i understand why it seems difficult to comprehend how one can speak a foreign language so well. I´m far from master english though, i always have my location as "Portugal" so people don´t try to bust my balls when i make a grammatical error during a discussion.

17. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    This is normal. I speak three languages, whenever is start speaking in any language and fall short of words i start speaking in the other language.

18. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I forget English words all the time, which is a problem because I don't speak any other languages...

19. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    :cheers:

20. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Lol...me to...(I ain't as think as you drunk I am)