Amnesia 2: A Machine For Pigs

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by getsuga12, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Game has been patched to add separate Adapative V-Sync option alongside the normal V-Sync option. It would seem that the reason the game teared with V-Sync on in the game options was because it was forcing Adaptive V-Sync. Hopefully it will work without tearing now (with Adaptive V-Sync unchecked and V-Sync checked, obviously).

I've been playing two hours now and nothing has happened apart from following two children and something in a cage escaping (although I never saw it move).

2. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    man this game is disgrace to OpenGL
    what a good way to let people know how bad is OpenGL

I am a big fan of OpenGL but this game makes me sad how its showing the worse of it.

thank you very much for letting tech go back 10 years behind.

if you release this game for my galaxy phone i wouldnt mind.

uninstalled,

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  3. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    purchased, played some, lovin' it even though i agree the graphics aren't "modern" by any stretch of the imagination, but to me they're not bad at all.

i'll be enjoying this game inside my pig machine [​IMG]

4. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    So is this an Angry Bird spin off? j/k (stole that joke straight out of a podcast lol)

5. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    To those who don't think this is that scary, wait until you're 2-3 hours in!... :fuse: I honestly think it's the sound effects and music combined with my headphones at high volume. I still rarely get a good look at the monsters that chase me because I'm too busy running! Although you do see the creatures quite a bit, but only in non-chase sequences.

One thing I do wish they kept was the lamp oil and the insanity which they've omitted entirely. That added to the stress and fear of running out of light in the first game.

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, I got killed by a pig-like thing (man in pig mask?) in the church basement but I was respawned in a cage nearby and when I headed for the door it was no longer there and that was the exit to that part of the game to the next level. I wouldn't exactly describe it as scary though as the lantern flickers, which I'm assuming is a indicator to let you know a monster is nearby (or was it just coincidence that my lantern started to flicker about a minute before I stumbled across pig-man?).

The game is alright but not a patch on Outlast in terms of atmosphere and it takes a long time for anything to really happen (I was well over two hours in before I met Mr. Pig Face). The story is perhaps a little more interesting though.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Pretty much the same as Amnesia: Dark Descent then. :)

You wander around solving puzzles (Bit easier in this game from what I've read, no inventory for example nor do you have to worry about sanity.) and eventually you'll discover the basic enemies.

Death usually just respawns you nearby although in Amnesia Dark Descent it did affect certain things like enemy and item placement though sanity had no effect in the ending or such.
    (Enemies wander around for a while until they find you or until they despawn and appear in some other area of the map, from what I've seen in the game files this also has very few enemy types, Amnesia Dark Descent only had three or so that you encountered "regularly" or what to call it.)

EDIT: Exploration is also a big part of these games, though I guess here you only really have to worry about going from one map to the next with from what I've seen so far little to no backtracking necessary, maybe finding those journal notes or other info.
    (Usually with various creepy events happening as you explore the location.)

I never played completely through the original Penumbra trilogy, one thing I miss being able to use objects as makeshift weapons (Throwing objects or finding something -a hammer or a pipe for example - and trying to clumsily swing it at a creature to kill it.) but it's pretty interesting to be forced to hide and flee too, some enemies can still be hurt though but most can only be stunned for a very short time.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This game really needs a working AA flag as the game is extremely jaggy (very noticeable around windows and mirrors) even with the supposedly demanding Smoothing enabled. I have to say that I'm very underwhelmed by the graphics engine; I know graphics aren't everything but this looks like a game from 2005 with ambient occlusion added to it. Sometimes it can look good but there are too many poor textures, jagged edges and blocky boxy models for the effect to last.

9. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    The game reminds me of Dear Esther 2 more then a sequel to Amnesia. great atmosphere, but its not really scary.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Dear Esther has better graphics though and while absolutely nothing happened in it for the 90 minutes I played it that required anything more than reading and listening, it still managed to be surprisingly atmospheric and even moving towards the end. The first hour of Amnesia: AMFP does feel a lot like that but there are puzzles to solve and I've encountered at least one monster at the 2.5 hour mark so it deviates somewhat.

I agree that this game is not scary though. I never played the first game beyond briefly trying the demo but most of the tension in that game came from having a lamp that ran out of fuel and the sanity (I think that's what is was) meter.

I just remembered something from my playthrough so far of Amnesia: AMFP... I know that it is a survival horror without weapons but it's odd that this Mandus character you control passes loads of workbenches with saws and hammers on them but never thinks once to use them as defensive weapons. I realise that's not what the game is about but if that's the case then why even show things that can be used as weapons in the first place? For example, you could have the workbenches with these tools missing and have Mandus comment on how odd it is that they're missing. As the game stands, it feels very contrived because there are things lying around which should be able to use but can't (another example is boxes, which the game only allows you to move ones that are related to puzzles). And what is the point of being able to pick up chairs? Can they be thrown at monsters?

11. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    I have changed TextureQuality="0" to TextureQuality="1", (under Amenisa:AMfP/launcher default_main_settings_high) and picture is not washed out

[​IMG]

All my graphic option are on high but that line was at "0"; if I put "2" picture is same as
    "0"

Before - "0"

After - "1"

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ doktor1 - Yes, I can see much better contrast levels and blacker blacks than the default bluey/grey ones. Thanks for the tip.

Do you have any flags for the AA as you clearly see jaggies around the mirror for example in your two screenshots?

13. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    nvidia FXAA works ingame.. No jaggies.. But that AA effect is not visible on screenshots :3eyes:

[​IMG]

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks but I don't like forcing FXAA through the NVIDIA profiles, especially as it blurs the text as well as the textures. SMAA is usually better, although it still distorts text, so I may have to resort using that as a compromise.

I did try using the 0x000010C1 and 0x0000F0C1 flags but they don't work very well. I thought they were working at one point with 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA (blurry EVGA Precision X OSD text being the dead giveway as well as higher - 1 GB - VRAM usage) but it no longer works. Maybe yesterday's patch broke it?

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Can you override AA with OpenGL for Nvidia?
    (AMD can be a bit difficult from what I know.)

Because this game engine uses OpenGL. :)
    (Compatibility with Mac and Linux, plus it's always used OpenGL since Penumbra.)

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I was overriding with 4xMSAA and 4xSGSSAA, Jonas, but it seemed a bit hit and miss as I said above. It did appear to be working at one point but when I tried it again last night, post-patch, it wasn't.

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This game is pretty good, its got a nice atmosphere and some funny jump scare moments but the enemies are pathetic. Once you see them you don't think "oh crap run" like in Outlast, you just laugh. Take away the music and sound effects and the game is nothing without them. Very poor monster design and I am about 3 hours in now. The puzzles aren't challenging either you can't interact with the environments like in the first Amnesia game and the ones you can interact with are the ones to items to the puzzles. Overall I much prefer Outlast to this game, its a shame because I think this game was over hyped a lot and has under delivered for me in terms of shock value. Will see if it gets any better when I decide to play it again.

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yep it did when you turn the gamma all the way up like that in the first pic on that page. The lighting is what makes these games, its what you can't see that frightens you rather than what you can see. That's why a machine for pigs works at making you scared but as for shocking you with the monster it self once its in the light it becomes funny to look at and not even that threatening like the monsters in the first game or in Outlast. Also the fact that in Machine For Pigs your lamp never runs out of oil so there is no impending doom of not being able to see whats after you which also takes away from the tension and atmosphere as you can always see whats coming.

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well that particular level does look like that. :)
    (Pretty sure it's the only level in that game which is actually bright.)

In-game in the other levels it would be something like this -> http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/804...013/05/Gatherers_Amnesia-The-Dark-Descent.png but with a ton of blur due to the sanity hit loss incurred by looking at the creature.
    (That blur effect makes it difficult to get a good view of them so I took the first image from my search which was - https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=.....1ac.1.26.img..1.28.742.-YGgFUlFaaA#imgdii=_ )

There's the suitors from the free Justine DLC as well, some naked guys in iron bondage gear.
    (And the other servant monster which is similar to the one I posted but wears a skirt - also in iron - and a flower-like head. - http://www.moddb.com/mods/amnesia-the-forgotten-castle/images/prison-monster I suppose if you turn around and it stood there it would be a bit creepy but otherwise they just look comical.)