CPU & GPU water cooling loop

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by busboi, Feb 1, 2017.

1. busboi

busboi Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I read the artcile on the EK-XLC Predator 280 AIO CPU & GPU Liquid Cooling unit. http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/ek-xlc-predator-280-aio-cpu-gpu-liquid-cooling-review,1.html

I noticed the CPU has a much higher temperature under load than the GPU.

Does the loop matter, i.e., fresh coolant to the CPU first, then the GPU?

The article doesn't mention which direction the coolant flows, so my real question is this: Which direction should the coolant flow in a CPU & GPU loop?

I think it should go to the CPU first, am I correct?

2. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    The order of the blocks and radiators doesn't affect the temperatures on a WC loop. The coolant have the same temperature across the loop once it stabilizes

3. busboi

busboi Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Thanks.

Going to start the process of my first water cooling computer.

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Agree with above there, loop order doesn't matter

Running custom water loop and temps are always better on GPU than CPU as GPU have larger die than CPU which do have lot smaller die than GPU

You can lower temps by having more rad space which can helps, people who water cool going with water cooling due the quietness and due how it looks

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Also GPUs usually doesn't have a IHS, so the bare die have direct contact to the waterblock.
    For example my loop only have a 360 slim with 1200-1500rpm fans .... while my CPU goes up to 65c while gaming the GPU stay at 45-46C :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I agree with this,GPU doesn't have IHS and usually have direct contact with WB,its possible to mount directly WB on CPU die,this depends

In my case I'm running fans as max 800-950RPM on idle and if I do really long renders then I raise fans at 1100-1250RPM as max as water temp delta is pretty good 2-3C,with fans at 800-950RPM water temp delta is around 5-7C as max,my fans are controlled through Aquaero and water temp delta

Although I'm running 360mm 60mm thick radiator,240mm 60mm radiator and maybe due this my temps are lot lower,in gaming in GTA V CPU temps never go above 55C(usually sits at 51-53C) and GPU temps on GTX 1080 are max what I've saw has been 38C after 8 hour render and in gaming usually sits at 36C and Titan X is running usually running 32-34C as max

Are you not thinking putting extra radiator on yours ?

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

7. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    You have much more cooling capacity with those radiators, My 360 slim is crossflow so is less effective than a normal one. Also my case is small :).
    With the fans at 2000rpm i can shave off 3ºc but i hate noise ... so most of the time my fans stays at 1000-1200RPM
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Yes agree yours case is small,Lian Li cases are great cases there,but some are not build for water cooling in mind

I still want to get Lian Li D888WX or D8000B "Feel the space"

Agree I hate too noise,but still yours temps are not bad and I assume in Argentina higher ambient temps and due this I think yours temps are higher

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

9. busboi

busboi Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I'm not going to get the loop just yet, I haven't messed around with water cooling as of yet.

My first purchase today was as Corsair H115i. I'm going to overclock my CPU first, and then look into GPU blocks when the 1080Ti are released.

Thank you for all your wisdom, i do really appreciate it.

10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I think you are made mistake if you want cool GPU with H115i as H115i is not expandable or cannot be upgraded to GPU WB

If you want cool GPU and CPU then you have choice going with Ezk Predator, Swiftech H320 or H240 or Alphacool Eisbaer 360 or 240 etc

But Corsair are probably worst AIO/CLC with poor pumps(Asetek)

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura