MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 3 (2011-05-08)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, May 8, 2011.

1. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    Raster 3d overlay not working in hydrophobia provecy..
    at first it works then i only see 3 numbers and they stuck...sry, cant make a screen right now ..but i get my camera...ill be back in a sec..

nevermind..works now..lol..dunno what happened..

sry..greetz Beta

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Wow.

It appears I can now change the voltage on my Asus GTX 570 DirectCU II!!!!

Excellent work UNwinder, as per usual!

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

A few more tips and tricks related to new raster fonts rendering mode in OSD server:

- In raster fonts mode the server is creating a texture with font on startup using TrueType fonts installed in your system. By default the server is using regular Tahoma font face, however you can edit the profile (.\Bundle\OSDServer\ProfileTemplates\Global) and change font parameters there in the following section:

[Font]
    TextureSize = 1024
    Height = -10
    Weight = 400
    Face = Tahoma
    Load =
    Save =

- Instead of creating font texture on startup the server can also optionally load pre-rendered font texture from 24-bit grayscale bitmap file and special map file defining rectangles for each character in ASCII encoding (4 32-bit values defining left, top, right and bottom coordinates of each of 256 characters in texture). Both .bmp and .map files should be stored in .\Bundle\OSDServer\Fonts subfolder, pre-rendered Bauhaus 93 font is provided as an example of using this feature.
    This way you can create absolutely custom looking fonts, to use this mode just specify desired font name in <Load> field, for example:

Load = Bauhaus 93

Please take a note that OSD zooming is not supported for pre-rendered textures. There is also a <Save> field allowing you to save autogenerated texture with TrueType font to \Bundle\OSDServer\Fonts.
    So now third party sking designers can also customize OSD appearance. If you create some good looking fonts for OSD - post them in the forum.

4. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I like using after burner, it seems it controls the fan better then the drivers do. with the drivers and using furmark I had 85c and then I started after burner and it kicked the fan higher and temp droped to 73c.

5. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Excellent stuff again Unwinder - might have a fiddle with the raster fonts this evening.

I'm highly impressed with where Afterburner has gone - I've used Rivatuner since the first versions many moons ago, and have always loved it.

And now that you've made voltage control work with my DirectCU II card, I have no need for the likes of Asus Smartdoctor.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work. I hope MSI are reimbursing you well for al your hard work - you've earned it for the years of dedication and support you've given to your software.

6. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Getting the same problem....

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hmmm, not 100% sure if it is a real problem TBH. Looks like the OSD server was still active and running during installation ? Hence the DLL would have been actively in use.

8. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Thats all it is. Happens when you don't reboot after uninstalling the previous version..

Funny thing is, hit 'ignore' and it installs fine. :D

9. Unwinder

Hitting 'Ignore' puts busy DLL overwrite requests into the queue to be performed after system reboot. But it can indeed function improperly if the tool is used right after installation without performing reboot, which is finalizing the installation.

10. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Yes, sorry I meant to state that in my reply that a reboot will be required when its finished installing after pressing ignore.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The Raster 3D font option in this build, which I set the Global option to, has proven to be a bit glitchy in the few games I've tried so far such that I reverted back to the Vector option. For example, in Cargo! Quest for Gravity it starts off fine then eventually starts to flicker and even have bits of the OSD disappear and reappear at random! The shadow option also looked a bit odd as the outline appeared to be missing from the left and right side of the characters and only shows at the top and bottom. This has happened in a few other games too.

I do understand though that the Raster font option is experimental and not guaranteed to work with all game engines.

12. Unwinder

How does disappearing bits of OSD look like? If some sysmbols disappear/appear completely corrupted then it sounds like font texture corruption, if triangle halfs of some symbols disappear/reappear then it sounds more vertex buffer corruption related.

13. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    davido6: Rename the offending DLL (since you cannot delete it while in use), then hit retry. Once it instals, delete the renamed DLL.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It's hard to describe in words but I think your 'triangle halves' description sums it up well, i.e. that half the characters, cut off as triangles, disappear and reappear at random. It starts off displaying fine then just gradually gets worse and worse such that it becomes totally unreadable.

I only tried it out of curiosity so it's no big deal as the Vector fonts work flawlessly and on my system anyway there's enough overhead for the OSD to not affect game performance even with shadows enabled.

I'll see if I can capture a few screenshots of it in action since Afterburner allows you to capture the OSD as well.

15. Unwinder

Yes, that's a sign of corrupted vertex buffer for sure, and I'm afraid that it is display driver bug/'optimization' related. Let me try to tune up my vertex buffers usage strategy a bit to see it it helps bypassing the corruption. Here is beta version of OSD server with a bit altered vertex buffers usage approach in D3D8/D3D9 raster fonts rendering codepaths, give it a try:

http://nl.guru3d.com/afterburner/RTSS421b1.rar

Last edited: May 13, 2011

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I tried a few more games last night, Unwinder, such as Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, SHIFT 2 and Crysis 2 and the Raster 3D fonts worked absolutely fine so it looks like the issues I've had with Cargo! is related to that game and its engine and not a bug in Afterburner as such. Thanks for the updated OSD server though; I'll try that with Cargo! and report back.

I do appreciate the help and would be more than happy to pay for this application as I find MSI Afterburner a superb and very useful tool. Again, many thanks for your time.

17. Pretoriano

Pretoriano New Member

GPU:
    MSI HD4870 OC 512mb
    MSI R6950 TwinFrozr lll PE/OC ->> GPU voltage issue?

Hi guys,
    i'm trying to overclock a bit my brand new card (MSI R6950 TwinFrozr lll PE/OC) using AfterBurner but i can't manage to raise the GPU voltage.
    "Unlock voltage control" and "Unlock Voltage monitoring" options are enabled,the 3 sliders are working (GPU,MEM and AUX voltage) but after applying the desired voltage both "monitor" and Kombuster are showing the default voltage (1.150) is used.
    I've tried different versions of AfterBurner and Catalyst driver but still no luck,for some reason AB doesn't apply the voltage.Couldn't find any usefull info on forums so if someone already had this issue and know the reason please let me know.THX

18. WarHammerEBDA

WarHammerEBDA Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 6950 DirectCUII
    I also had that problem Unwinder. I tried the OSD beta above and on Raster 3D the font flickers. If I go back to one of the Vectors it works fine.

19. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    +1 , using the Beta RTSS you uploaded Unwinder but still get flickering in Raster 3D with COD5 . All other COD games (4 , 6 , 7) are good , will test some more games.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  20. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    I tried the beta OSD server on Street Fighter IV. Before it would completely lose the raster 3D text after a while. Now it occasionally flickers/disappears for a short moment and then returns to normal. The flickering interval seems to vary.