Windows 8.1 build 9471 x64 has leaked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 12, 2013.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I have Win8 installed in a virtual machine .. thank goodness for Classic shell. I wish a third party tool wasn't necessary for navigation because of Sinofsky's tunnel-vision. Anyway, a new proper release should be out in 2-3 years and hopefully saner minds will be managing Microsoft by then.

2. Terradorvite

Terradorvite Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7900XT
    Until I see some significant performance boosts from 8.1, Im sticking with W7 for now. BSODS and driver issues with 8 have plagued me in the past. Ive tried all the current builds with no success at a stable run. Ran multiple tests on the memory, hdd, and cpu for stability, and they all run fine. Maybe its the combo of my hardware that w8 doesnt like.

After spending some time with the UI, finding locations becomes rather simple. So I dont hate it as Microsoft will build an improved successor to 8.1 with W9 in the future. I still like my classic interface however.

3. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    If the pirated copies are taken into consideration, i cannot imagine the real usage of win7 in the World. But anyway, that is offtopic. They have been working on win9 as far as i know. I guess Microsoft will not give up "touch", but they will probably change all the Metro thing because of the bad reputation.(I hope they will).

About tablets and smartphones. They look nice no doubt about it but saying they "are" the future makes me scared, indeed. For instance, we were complaining about console ports but I don't want to imagine the day I say "oh! that tablet port game needs an 8 core cpu!".. Oh my..

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Sinofsky didn't design the UI, and in fact they got rid of him and promoted the lead designer of the UI in 8 (Julie Larson-Green) to his position.

And I still don't get why so many people have trouble with 8's interface for navigating. I find it way easier. It's definitely different and there's a lot of unintuitive design choices, especially when dealing with Metro applications themselves, but as far as using "Start".. I think it's way better.

Microsoft doesn't really have a choice. Pretty much everything points to mobile being the future of computing. The only way they are going to get actual penetration into that market is by leveraging their Windows user base down into it. They can make it work too, there are plenty of people that have become accustomed to the Windows 8 interface. I myself like it more than classic. They just need to keep tweaking and making improvements. I'd like to see more customization throughout the entire OS and I think that may be a theme moving forward.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    You could argue that Tablets are a fad. Something people will get bored off within a few years. The same could be said of Smartphones, but I doubt people will ever stop upgrading their phones.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I doubt tablets will become obsolete, they will become lighter, faster, thinner, they are an ideal portable PC

Smartphones will do the same imo, better faster lighter

The only thing holding back portable devices is that we haven't really made much progress in terms of battery life, or we have but the devices are sucking up much more juice

Once we have a week long heavy use 24/7 life battery for phones and tablets, they will fly off the shelves

7. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    People get withdrawal symptoms when away from their phones. They're simple, addicted automatons. Phones print money.

8. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    I'm happy with Manjaro Linux, I've already grown to love the free and open source aspect of Linux with its limitless choices and freedom. I have gotten so tired of Windows, and all of Microsofts bulls**t. Also, I have no need for a smartphone, I hate touchscreens, very limiting. If I want a computer on the go, I'll get a laptop. But right now, I'm more than happy with my trusty desktop.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You can say that about a lot of things.

10. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Except this has science to back it.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Windows 8 is... alright.

There I said it!

Sure, I wasn't exactly singing its praises but look past the pretty useless (IMO) Modern UI and what's left is an enhanced version of Windows 7 with faster boot/shutdown times and minus Aero Glass and gadgets (although I miss neither). It was worth the £40 upgrade IMO, especially since I've been using the indispensable Start8 pretty much since I installed Windows 8. I'm looking forward to updating to Windows 8.1 or, rather, Windows 8 SP1 since that is pretty much what it is.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Can i install this on my retail win8 WMC pro and will it be permanently unlocked?

13. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    You can upgrade your current 8 to 8.1, however you wont be able to update again without a clean install and it will expire in a few months.

Basically, it's a bad idea xD

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah i know about preview ^^

But isn't this particular build mentioned here RTM, so its the same like that in windows store 2 months later?

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    If people can afford the systems they run, I'm sure they can afford 5 bucks for start8. It works with Win 8.1 also, and you get a REAL start button that is fully customizable like in Win 7. I mean really, all the complaining and a measly 5 bucks can end it. Sure we shouldn't have to, but MS isn't backing down are they?

I'd rather enjoy the faster Win8 OS with my SSD's and boot times than not at all.

All you have to do is pop in your Win 8 disk and install over the current OS. It restores default windows settings and keeps programs. Some drivers need reinstalled as well as windows updates, but that is it. You can remove Windows.old quite easily. If you don't know how there are guides on the net everywhere.

16. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I don't even remember what Win7 looks like. I miss it "that" much.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It looks 'old'

And I never thought I would hear myself saying that

18. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Late reply was busy today.Looking good Ghosty :banana:

19. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I wouldn't. From what I have read, it's not the final build that's going RTM.

20. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
    Waiting for Windows 8.1 ^_^ Anyone have it installed? Does it perform the same as windows 8 or same thing just with a few things added?

I don't miss the start button at all on Windows 8 since I barely used it. Only thing I want that's going to be in Windows 8.1 is boot right to desktop. The only thing I'm looking forward to in windows 8.1.

Had 0 problems on Windows 8 everything works great especially with SSD. Windows 8 was so cheap for the upgrade copy of pro which I paid 15$ I think it was. So I had to just get it lol.

I like the tiles for Windows 8 as well, Just wish they would let me add a custom background without using a 3rd party program =/

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3331/csn.png