Post your AV set up?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by hallryu, May 3, 2009.

1. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Too right, good deals make me all warm and fuzzy :D I've had great luck with buying used hi-fi equipment thus far. Seems people who are into this are generally very nice and honest compared to the computer market where people seem to rip eachother off all the time.

B&W... yeah. I have a friend with too much money who just bought a pair of CM9's. Damn nice speakers.

I need a more powerful receiver as well if I am to do any more upgrades to the sound side of things. Mine is pushed hard now, the new center is a lot more demanding. Though, the next thing I'm getting is the Popcorn Hour C-200 media player. They're finally in stock now, but I'm gonna wait until after christmas. Hopefully some of the bugs have been worked out by then.

2. *Rogue*

*Rogue* Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 OC 216
    I've heard some good things about the Popcorn Media player ... Have got something similar with my DP600 ... it doesn't have any onboard storage but does have a front and rear usb port that you can plug an external drive into to remedy that problem and was painless to network to my pc so not really an issue anyway...
    My DM's share the same Nautilus tech as the CM9's and are definately sweet ... The conference/cinema room at work use B&W Signature 8NT's as mains, 6 x CDS3's as sides and rears and a Linn Klimax 345 Sub ... is a gorgeous system to listen to but the £18k price tag is a little rich for my tastes ... lol

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  3. adam1378

adam1378 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850 1gb
    John your center channel is beautiful. I am completely jealous. Complements on the set-up.

4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Why thank you! I've been testing the infamous gunshot scene from Open Range over and over today, and yes, it does get very loud. That scene doesn't go low enough for the subwoofer to do much work, so the center channel is doing most of the work alone, and the pressure it manages to create is quite amazing. Feels like someone hits me in the chest. Though, I think I could go quite a lot louder with a more powerful receiver. Onkyo 807 is on sale now :(

5. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Well, here it goes...

- Samsung SyncMaster T260 26" monitor hooked up to my rig (thinking about a nice 32" or 37" TV, any ideas?)
    - Amp: Onkyo Tx-SR507
    - Front: Magnat Motion 1000 series
    - Center: Magnat Altea
    - Surround: Philips speakers, trying to find some good Magnat's for this job
    - Sub: Magnat Monitor Supreme 301A 12"

- Extra stuff: Sony CD-player (DVP-S335), Philips DVD-player (DVP-3260)

Edit:

Found an older pic from my sub:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  6. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Great receiver I just added that sucker to my collection not too long ago. Be careful it's BIG! ;)

Onkyo TX-NR807 :) Rest of my rig I posted a while back in this thread but this was a nice little upgrade. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Very nice! You should remove that big ugly sticker, though :p I've noticed Onkyo plaster their receivers with stickers in the US, but I have not seen the same thing here. Odd!

I really like Onkyo, their natural sound suits most speakers very well. If there's something I'd like to see improved, it has to be the displays, they look a bit 80's like. Pioneer has some really nice looking displays with higher resolutions in blue. Not that it matters much though, I always dim mine down as far as it goes when I watch movies.

8. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    +1 Very nice kit. Also, nice centre there John.:thumbup:

9. xaueious

xaueious Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3200 Onboard
    Mine is:

55 inch Toshiba Tegza LCD 1080p LED Back Clearscan 240
    ATI Radeon X1600 DVI-HDMI Adapter
    AMD 3500+ underclocked via RMClock
    2 GB RAM
    Windows 7
    Asus M2NPV-VM
    Onboard Realtek Optical SPDIF passthru to Technics SA-DA10 via adapter bracket
    Cheap Athena 5.1 surrounds (sub is fried right now)
    Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Mediaboard for PS3 (perfect for HTPC actually)
    Logitech v450 nano 2.4 GHz

I CAN'T DO 1080P -_-

I've cheapened out on speakers so far. But my basement's acoustics are terrible and I prefer to just put headphones on.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  10. spdracer

spdracer Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX560ti
    A home theater freak with Bose speakers?

11. drerling

drerling New Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 5750 KXH173461
    [​IMG]

TV: Panasonic TH-42PX70 42" plasma (yeah, oldschool 1024x768 FTW)
    TV dekoder: Motorola 1960 (Lyse TV via fiber)
    Blu-Ray player: internal LiteOn ROM in HDPC + powerDVD8
    Media Player: Kanam HT200B, Asus A3N32, 4600+, 2Gib, XFX HD5750, XBMC!
    Music Streamer: Logitech Squeezebox Duet
    Server: all cd/dvd ripped lossless (dvd-iso and .flac with dBpoweramp)
    DAC: Enlightened Audio Designs DSP-1000
    PRE: Classè CP-35
    Power: Electrocompaniet AW120
    Speakers: 2ch Triangle Acoustics Celius Esw
    Remote: Logitech Harmony 895 RF
    Home Appliance: couple of Velleman relays and Z-wave stuff controlled via IR and Z-wave protocol (harmony remote)
    Cables: yes, but of course! What would work without them? :3eyes:

Everything is hidden in the A/V furniture (except server)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  12. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V363
    Speakers: Sony SS-B1000
    When my mobo arrives on monday since it got delayed by the snow,then it will be pluged into my Xonar HDAV1.3 thru Analog.

The Receiver I got as a bday/xmas present

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  13. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    i have been up to no good and have been spending money on stuf :D

so as follows

TV: samsung T260HD
    Blu ray: Sony BDP360s
    reciver: JVC RX-D702B (still on of the only ones in the uK) 150w per chan
    Front speakers: Moardaunt short MS25TI 300w rms
    Rear speakers: Sony SS-B1000 120w rms
    Center speaker: Wharfdale 9cc 120w
    SUB: Yamaha YST-SW012 < (need new one as its not up to the rest of the stuf but not bad at £70)
    Remote: All in 1 5 in 1 remote
    Cables: gold plated, and 2.5mm speaker cable (orderd) (using toslink from tv to amp and from BDP to amp)

ohh and ambx for PC

hear it is sory for the poor picture, my room is going to be rearaged the the fitted wardrobes moved, after thats done the sonys will be moved in to there 5.1 postion

as it was acopple of days ago (befor reciving my sony SS-b1000's and still wating on center speaker)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as it is at the moment phone photo so had to enhace it real quick on photobucket (was realy dark)
    [​IMG]

not the best but not bad for a 17 year old :D

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You have no idea what you are saying. Best speakers set I bought ever.

15. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Got my Popcorn Hour C-200 mediaplayer/streamer today, along with a WD GreenPower 2TB harddrive and an LG CH08 bluray drive. This thing can normally only hold a 2,5" HDD when a 5,12" optical unit is installed, but a simple mod with a 5,12" to 3,5" adapter fixed that no problem.

Just flashed to the newest firmware, and the HDD is now formatting to EXT3, which is gonna take a while it seems. This is going to be fun! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Nice John!, A Couples of photo of it installed would be great!

Just a question, is not the money spent equal to build a HTPC???

17. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    got a center speaker :D whalfedale 9cc

[​IMG]

my room in its current state

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    Ill see if i can get a few pics up later :D

19. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Not really, not a very good HTPC anyway. But costs are not the reason I went with this over a HTPC. I've been using my laptop with HDMI out as media player now for a while, and all the crap that I've had do deal with completely put me off building a dedicated computer for playback. I could never get 24Hz playback of 23.976 content working corretly, for instance, while this thing has the smoothest 24p playback I've ever seen. Plus HD sound passthrough is still a challenge on PC's, while this box does it no problem. It runs a linux operating system so it's incredibly flexible too, you can get it to do pretty much anything you want if you have the skills and patience for it - and it has a thriving community around it which is great help. Oh, and it has no fans, makes no sound and has a typical power consumption of less than 20 watts. Mmmm, yes.

Granted, it still has some bugs that needs fixing, but it's coming along nicely.

I put up "Yet Another Movie Jukebox" on it too, which I'm pretty sure rivals XBMC..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    John, I gotta say that the Popcorn Hour C-200 mediaplayer is BADDASSS!! :)