EK Supremacy MX Mounting screws

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by MaskedMuchaco, May 20, 2017.

1. MaskedMuchaco

MaskedMuchaco Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    Hi,

I'm currently using a supremacy MX on my FX9590.

I'm planning on upgrading very soon to Ryzen but need to know if anybody has any experience of the Supremacy MX mounting system.

EK says you need to buy the PreciseMount kit as well as the AM4 upgrade kit.

Is the PreciseMount kit really needed or can the mounting screws be removed from the MX and fitted to the new mounting plate?

I can see they are just held in place with circlips and could be removed with ease so the only think that could possibly prevent them working with the AM4 kit is if it's slightly thicker/thinner or has an offset of some kind but considering that it supports both AM3 and AM4 can there really be any difference other than the slightly elongated holes?

I can't seem to find the PreciseMount kit in stock in the uk and would rather not have to pay £10 just for some screws if the ones I have will do the job.

Thanks for any input.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    If they say you need different screws why are you assuming they are lying?

The screws likely have different thread pitch and length.

3. MaskedMuchaco

MaskedMuchaco Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    Because the new versions are compatible with both am3 and am4, the supremacy mx uses the standard AMD backplate so thread pitch and length for both sockets must be the same.

I guess the real question is, are the screw lengths the same on the mx and evo?