AMD Ryzen 14nm Wafer Yields Pass 80% - Threadripper CPUs on track

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 19, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
  3. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Killing me

I'm trying so hard not to buy / build a new PC all this news is killing me this year. I guess we should see what Skylake-x has to offer up prior to Threadripper landing. Im so glad every time I went to build an Intel HEDT platform I stopped myself over the last 3 years and just saved the cash.

4. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Good for amd

and gotta love them internet gifs :)

5. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    So next is over 3000 points in R15? ;-)

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    14 core and 10 core Threadrippers are not going to happen. (3+2)+(3+2) or (4+1)+(4+1) for hypothetical 10 core is not possible. Same logic applies to 14 core - there's 5 core Zeppelin is not possible, nor 7 core. Also both Zeppelins must have same core configuration so all 12 core variants are (3+3)+(3+3).

12 and 16 are possible, 8 might just make sense but it's overlapping a bit with Ryzens. Extra PCI-E lanes and quad channel memory would be the main difference so for some power users it might make sense...

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You missed one important thing. Ryzen cores can be disabled via BIOS in any combination.

If BIOS can do it, laser can as well...

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It isn't possible or just not very handy for compilers?

9. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I think they would sell a bunch of 8 core chips with 44 lanes and 128GB RAM support. There are a lot of workstation workloads out there where more RAM, a fully dedicated M.2 slot and more GPUs are far more important than more CPU cores. Even so, they probably won't do it just to avoid confusion. Maybe next year, I guess.

10. G4ry4Caesar

G4ry4Caesar Guest

GPU:
    IGP
    Why not release single CCX quad core CPUs with proper clock speeds? The problem with that company is that they try to awe people instead of trying to understand the market's needs, and that's why they screw it all up every time.

They can't release mainstream Vega because HBM memory supply is quite inadequate for mainstream Vega, so they delay it. They could've used a 384bit wide memory bus for Vega, which would result in 384 GB/s of memory bandwidth when coupled with Samsung's GDDR5 memory. If their delta color compression improvements claims are true, then that all they would've needed to release a competitive on par or faster than the GTX1080.

Ryzen blows for gaming because they opted to impress people with cores instead of releasing proper quad core CPUs at high clock speeds, without all that cross-CCX latency that's causing slow L3 cache access and slow thread migration across CCXs.

Last edited: May 20, 2017

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Prices wars who can perform better cheaper! still waiting for this, I been tempted by Ryzen chips, but mutli cores out the ass still mean very little

12. Rabbitdude92

Rabbitdude92 Guest

GPU:
    HD7850 2GB
    Seeing as how 14 core and 10 core have been on the map and already named and specced I'm guessing that means that AMD says it's possible lol

13. hpascoa

hpascoa Guest

GPU:
    AORUS Radeon RX580 8G
    (3+2)+(3+2) and (4+1)+(4+1) are probably unlikely configurations. But why not (4+4)+(3+3) for the 14 core version, and (3+3)+(2+2) for the 10 core? They're currently producing (4+4) configurations for Ryzen 7, and (3+3) and (2+2) configurations for Ryzen 5. So it doesn't sound like too much of a stretch that they could match some of those together for Threadripper.

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Ohhhh do i love it when people claim, as though it is fact, that something "can't" happen, based off of their supposed super knowledge. It's always great, because when they are proven wrong, they pretend they never said it.

Oh hey look, it's this guy here to chime in some information that has already been stated and discussed to death and replied to repeatedly through the forums, yay!

15. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    Says you...I converted my main PC from i5 2500 to R7 1700, and the performance is fabulous-- even at the stock clock. Windows 10 is lightning fast on this thing, MAME runs great, Supermodel runs great, Powerdirector performance is incredible. I have no problems holding over 60 framerates on any of my games. I can get a stable 3.9GHz no problem, but I don't see the need so I just let it be stock. All this and a kick ass bundled cooler for $320. As an added bonus I'm guaranteed mobo compatibility with the next gen Zens as well.

Screw Intel and their monopolistic practices. I wasn't going to upgrade my 2500 to yet ANOTHER quad core when I could get a kick ass octocore with a great cooler for less money-- and forget a hex or octocore Intel for double the price. AMD just raised the bar for PC that Intel was holding over our collective throats.

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Is threadripper a complete new die with 4 CCXs or 2 of the 8-core dies slaved together?

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Considering number of PCIe lanes, best guess is that it has 2 new (different from regular Ryzen 7) 8-core dies connected.
    Image shows 4, but that may be 32 core version or something else entirely.

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

Wow, you have no idea what you're talking about...

For the first time in many years, I'm actually agreeing with AMDs approach for the most part and the fact that the may be a chance to return them to (slight) profitability.

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    That's according to The Stilt who definitely knows more than any of us here.

Any combination? No...

That's because each Zeppeling die must have matching core & cache configuration. According to The Stilt. Makes sense, since 5 and 7 core options aren't possible for Zeppelin (either one CCX is off completely or they are matching).

Also in case it isn't obvious, Threadripper is two Zeppelin dies. EPYC is four.

20. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    so far i had the idea that amd produces a wafer with ccx's and then stitching 2 together to make the 8 cores and then the less likely to be healthy stitching em up to make 4 and 6 core although that is my own speculation so for 12 core and 10 i thought they will use 3 ccx ...on the other hand i thought they will use just 1 ccx for quad cores and i was wrong so there is that ....now about clock speeds the way they stitch em together seems like once again the overclock will be again 3.9-4.0ghz as far as you have the cooling capacity.
    anyway we will see when those babies come out :)

with 80% yields it sounds to me like the ccxs that can not run with full features might be less than the demand ...so they might be laser-cutting healthy ccxs to meet the demand of the lower models at least that is what my logic says