Sony Xperia Z Cracked Screen

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Anfield82, May 28, 2013.

1. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Hi guys,

2 months ago I took out my first ever contract through the carphone warehouse in the UK.

After 2 weeks the phone started shutting down and freezing so I had it replaced in store. Since then I have been back into the store several times for several different issues.

Yesterday morning I went to use my phone and couldn't work out why it wasn't responding so I restarted and thats when I noticed a crack under the glass on the display panel.

The carphone warehouse are refusing to help me unless I pay for repair despite the fault being no fault of my own. I have never dropped the phone, put it in tight pockets or misused it.

Sorry for the wall of text but I really need some advice on what to do and if there's anything I can do to sort this out.

Thanks in advance.

2. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    physical damage means they will not help you

3. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Despite all the problems I've had previously?

I did notice the phone was getting pretty hot when making calls and when using it casually. It's definitely a manufucture problem but I have no way of proving it.

4. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Try and phone Sony directly (if they have a support number?)

I worked one month in an HTC support centre and it was a mixture of retailers phoning up on behalf of the customer and customers just phoning directly. As soon as the fault was found to be physical or hardware we would just arrange for a courier to collect it by default and repair, providing it was still under warranty ofc(otherwise the repair would be charged).

Also do you have insurance? I've always got phones from P4U and afaik the insurance is with Policy Admin so if CarphoneWarehouse are pushing you away I'd avoid them altogether.

5. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Yeah I called Sony and they couldnt give me a figure on how much it would cost to repair but did said it would be free if it was a manufacture error but Im sure they will say its misuse.

I dont have insurance but if I take it out now would it work?

Edit: I do have house contents insurance but not sure if it covers mobile phones.

6. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I'm not entirely sure but I suppose you could just say you noticed it after you took the insurance out. One thing though you might have to pay an excess if you send it off. If you take it out they will probably say its £10/month but theyre extremely easy to drop to around £6 for the same cover as soon as you sound unhappy about £10. :infinity:

7. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Thanks I'll look into it. I've just been looking at the sales of good act and it seems as if the law is on my side. I've had nothing but problems with the original phone and replacement and its the retailers responsibilty to sell an item fit for purpose, clearly for me this hasnt been the case.

I'm going to go into the store tomorrow (my 6th visit) and make a fuss.

8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Unless you can prove an inherent fault present at the time of manufacture caused it then there's nothing you can do apart from hope for good will.

9. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    I went into the carphone warehouse and they refused to help me without me paying a repair fee.

o2 were a lot more helpful and have contacted a Sony rep and emailed photos of the damage across to them. The phone has been sent off for repair with notes attached saying they believe that I am not at fault for the damage. Should the repair team attempt to charge for fixing it I am able to escalate my situation to my o2 area manager something which carphone warehouse don't do.

I am now looking to cut all ties with carphone warehouse and hopefully move over to o2 as a direct customer.

10. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    That's good. To be honest, once I leave the shop with the contracts and phones I've had I tend to have zero dealings with the shop from then on, your bill is paid direct to o2 after all, I guess the shop already has its cut once you sign the paper

11. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Yeah I wish I could say the same. I find it quite bizarre how the network provider is having to fix my problem as they didnt sell me the phone.

I wish I had read reviews of carphone warehouse before I went in there. They are terrible.

12. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Just thought I'd update this thread to say o2 replaced the phone for free but not without a fight as they tried to charge me £237 to begin with. Going to take out insurance now!

13. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Good to hear :) bastards.

14. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    Just read the fine text.

My gf had to pay for her iPhone repair anyway because first claim was covering repairs of up to £75. O2 insurance btw.