GTX 680 and TERA Online

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Anyone tried playing this game with a GTX 680? I was expecting good results but have been greatly disappointed by the outcome. My FPS is extremely choppy and unstable depending on where I am.

A "good" thing would be that apparently the game code is not well optimised and draws all NPCs/PCs units that are present around you (i dont know if it's 60-70m in a sphere depending on your NPC draw distance) even though you do not see them which would explain why you get such bad FPS in places like Cathedral, Academy and Labyrinth.

Another thing mentioned on other forums is FPS degradation over time which apparently only occurs if you play fullscreen which is why I only play windowed fullscreen.

Finally I recommend anyone playing to decrease NPC draw distance since it seems to be a major FPS hog.

2. angmar

angmar Guest

probably just needs either driver tweaks or the game engine itself is just really buggy and needs improvements. I would give it some time.

edit: how is that game btw?

3. k1z

k1z Member

GPU:
    EVGA Gtx 980 SOC
    I didn't notice FPS degradation over time in my 12-hour marathons during the CBTs. As for overall performance, I think it performs quite well, especially with that level of detail. Only had frame rates drop low during a large scale guild v guild open PvP battle with over 300 PCs on screen.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    The game is f*kin awesome :)

Really? That's interesting. Which graphics preset did you use?

5. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Being a MMO, Tera is going to be a cpu hog. The issue you're describing isn't necessarily related to your video card / drivers, but most likely the net code. My old HD5970 was more than capable of running the game at 80+ fps with SSAA...assuming I wasn't in an overly populated channel, and definitely not in Velika. Going to Velika would cause the frame rates to tank down in the high to mid 30's.

6. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Speaking of ssaa, I tried the correct hex code for tera online on my gtx 590, fps goes down and down and more down when more higher quality is forced with nvidia inspector but however, the actually aa aint being applied and the fps goes down, I know what to look for and the aa aint being used, fps goes down though.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I want to bring up the topic again since I've seen small threads here and there regarding this (on other forums).

Anyone on Guru3D have the same problems as me? Lower performerance than expected due to the core activity never hitting 60% or more. I played for a few hours yesterday and tried forcing FXAA in the drivers which didn't work (instead of letting TERA take care of it). Then I also tried Max Performance mode but despite this the FPS really goes up and down while out questing or hitting a town. The Core clock stays at 1006 and sometimes boosts up to 1097 but this rarely happens even though the FPS is at 35 or something.

Note: I've not tried playing using the latest drivers (301.34) and am still using 301.10.

8. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I have the same issue Netherwind. Not much we can do at the minute. One of the main problems is the game UI. If you toggle it off FPS doubles. But I suspect driver problems with the GTX 680 too. On my 570 I was getting 90+ fps most of the time now I struggle getting 40. Forcing 4xAA with nvidia inspector helps performance a bit by forcing the GPU to run better. Use 0x000010C1

9. errorrrr

errorrrr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I am using GTX 570 as well for Tera. I actually had GTX 285 before. (just built new system).

MY FPS are fine (using default Nvidia setting, and maxed out Tera setting thru preset @ 1080p), but I get HUGE STUTTERS (game literally like freeze for a second) after playing couple hours when trying to open ANY UI (quest log, inventory, guild menu) etc.

Anyone have this problem as well? Is this a driver issue?

Using the latest WHQL drivers.

10. Anvi

Anvi Guest

GPU:
    R9 390 8GB
    Radeon 7970 was a lot faster in TERA than GTX 680 is.. In boss fights or with 5-10 monsters on the screen my fps can go low as 17! Lowering shadow settings and background quality helps a bit though.

While 7970 was faster, unfortunately it also hard locked my computer in that game.

11. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Probably a driver issue. I never see my FPS drop lower than ~45 at 2560x1440 with 2xAA + FXAA. It usually stays at 60 FPS.

12. Don1376

Don1376 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 FTW
    Must be a driver issue with the 600 series cards. My 560 TI's keep me at 60 fps anywhere in game at max settings except for draw distances. Which I have each one set back 2 numbers from max. Thats with vertical sync and at 1920x1080.