2 beginner questions

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by goblinsly, Jul 27, 2013.

1. goblinsly

goblinsly Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 260 GTX
    Hey there,

I have 3 simple questions.

1.) Is it possible to have a different resolution on my monitor and on my tv at the same time ? I have both connected to my pc and it is a bit annoying to change the resolution everytime i plan to watch a movie on tv ..

2.) Are there any simple tricks to improve video quality of videos that lack it, like divx, xvid ? I tried shaders yesterday, made things sharper/darker ..

3.) Any recommendation on software i should use ? Right now i use MPC ( klite codec pack ) and for directshow video i choose enhanced video renderer ( custom presenter ) ? Is that ok ? I want the best experience i can get with my hardware.

I have E6400@3.2 with HD 6450 Graphic card, since my tv resolution is 1366x768, i never watch quality higher then 720p.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hi, it should work - to adjust the res go into display options or Catalyst Control Centre.

A lot of people use MadVR and LAV decoder. Personally I don't mess with the shaders it only seems to make the pic worse...

MPC-HC is prob the most used, download it here and get rid of KLite, codec packs are nothing but trouble.

And yeah EVR-CP is good for hardware acceleration using the GPU.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  3. goblinsly

goblinsly Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 260 GTX
    Right now i have it set as clone .... soo both displays have the same resolution. All other options i tried like extends wont work ...

How about scaling ? My lcd uses 1680x1050 and my tv uses 1366x768, which means they dont have the same ratio ... soo i will either get streched picture on tv or black on top and bottom ...

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You should be able to adjust res in clone mode....

5. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Pill, OP doesn't have an AMD card, so no Catalyst. It's an older Geforce 7950 GT he's talking about. (EDIT: After re-reading the first post I see I'm incorrect about this. I'm sorry about that ;))

Besides that, I think running two different resolutions in clone mode is just not possible.

OP, extending the desktop to both monitors at different resolutions should work as advertised. You could try setting the LCD to 1366x768, enable Extend desktop and then set the LCD back to its native res.
    What error(s) are you getting when trying to extend desktop?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I forget if it's possible or not but anyway read his first post you'll see he is talking about AMD.

Actually I just remembered he should be using Extended Desktop mode anyway with a TV.

7. goblinsly

goblinsly Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 260 GTX
    The thing with extended desktop is .. i want 2 identical desktops ... i want icons visible on my tv aswell ... soo that when i turn tv on and have a mouse there ( i have 2 mouses on my computer ), i can go into a folder where i have the movie stored, or watch something of youtube aswell .. my friend told me that this is just not possible ... and if this is the case, this is such a huge shame that hardware/software developers responsible for this should get a 2 week house arest ( with no AC ). Seriously ... with all this in mind, its just easier to leave it as it is ... i run the sytem at 1680x1050 ... and when i want to watch a movie ... i click on an icon on desktop i made. Its a script that changes resolution to 1360x768 and changes audio output from Sound Blaster to HDMI output on my GPU ... and since its just 1 click for both audio output change and screen resolution change, its ok i guess. I just hope i am not damaging my hardware by changing resolution like 2-3 times a day.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's def possible, that's what clone mode is.

Extended Desktop shows the desktop on one display and all fullscreen apps are launched in the 2nd display.

It's really handy if your PC and TV are connected because you can watch movies on the TV in fullscreen and still access your desktop or surf the net or whatever.

I stream movies from my lounge PC to TV and often Google for movie info while I'm watching. In Extended Desktop mode.

Dunno why you can't adjust res though, maybe it;'s the drivers or the card....Some older cards had trouble running 2 LCD displays with different res. No idea if that still applies.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013