GTX 570 Died (?)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Valerys, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    Hi, this evening my GTX 570 just died on me using the latest driver. It was the Palit Sonic Platinum edition. It happened like this, I was running the latest 3DMark Fire Strike tests and checking the temperature with MSI Afterburner to check why my fans were so loud lately (no dust). Well I turned it on for a 20 min loop to check the temp and it reached almost 90 and kept it there for a few minutes. Then it suddenly dropped to 60, worked like that for a few minutes (without no visible stuttering) and the the pc turned itself off without any chance of turning it back on. After checking around i found out it was the video card, the computer would start with very loud video fans and no video output with the 6pin power connector, with the 8pin power connector or both the pc won't start at all.

My question is: my gpu is really dead or there is something i should check first before i rma it?

It seems so stupid the card seems to have died just a few days after the 2 year warranty the producer gives expired. Fortunately the shop gave 3 years but I am really starting to believe those who had problems with new drivers lately frying their cards on purpose, lol. Never had a problem with drivers until this happened.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  2. _Franky_

_Franky_ Active Member

GPU:
    MSi GTX670 Twin Frozr OC
    Yep my GTX 570 died last year too. It was overclocked through Afterburner, but temps were always low enough around 70 max. But maybe other areas of the card reached higher temps. Fortunately I still had warranty with MSI and got a replacement.

Good luck getting the card replaced! :)

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well if the warranty is gone you could take a look underneat the cooler to see if there is any burn marks.

90C is hot, but nothing a GPU can't handle.

I did see many stories about 570's going up in smoke tho, so it might be the case.

I'm no expert on this so perhaps someone else can give some input.

4. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    I didn't overclock it, at least not now. It was noisy as it was. I had at least 86 in more demanding games since I got it (eg Crysis 2) with no additional overclock, the card was already at 800/2000@1V. I was annoyed at that time because the reviews promised much lower temps (actually the guru3d review... ).
    Palit says it has 2 years but the shop wrote 3 years on my warranty so I am going to try to rma it. On the back where I can see it has no visible burning marks and no smell either. It just crashed with no physical sign before or after. At first I thought the psu is burnt as this 570 managed to burn a Corsair CX600 before.

When i bought this video card i was aware of the many 570 blowing up, but this was one was supposed to use a 580 pcb with 6+2 power phases but it seems it wasn't enough to keep even their own overclock.

5. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    My GTX 480 suddenly died too a week ago for no obvious reason while i was on the new drivers and i was running it on stock clocks because of the very high temps (always used afterburner with a custom fan profile to keep the card cool only when gaming and i always use vsync as well) and not like i am a heavy gamer or anything stressing the card all the time.

6. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    When I bought my current 570 back in 2011 it lasted a week before it no longer gave any video etc and basically died. My replacement didn't work with the OC they supplied (MSI had too low a Vcore for the speeds - was wide spread problem at the time) which made any DX10 game crash and burn.

Still a bit of tweaking the Bios and now its fine at 1.0v.

7. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Sorry for your loss.My GTX 570 died also some time ago but mine went in a puff of smoke so i had no doubts about what happened, came with a smell of death also as a bonus.

Mine was Palit reference with accelero cooler on it,temps on gpu didnt exceeed 65 degrees even with high overclock but i guess the bad VRM's had a very short lifespan with my 950+ mhz 24/7.

8. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

My GTX 570 still lives and works great. I'm going to be upgrading the GPU to GTX 760. Was simply wondering if this is a sound upgrade over my current GTX 570 or not. Will my setup bottleneck it in any case. I don't intend to do SLi and have intention of sticking around with my current rig for at least another year. Your feedback would be highly appreciated.

9. johnmambo

johnmambo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX980
    Yep dude, i had a overclocked 570 that died too, it was a reference eVGA with an Arctic Accelero Twin turbo, sadly it happens. Heh.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Mine also almost died in RIFT, I had gfx corruption like faulty memory, happened even after I installed older driver (in desktop).. It was "ok" after i removed gpu and put it back in, but i think it was dogy PSU fault.. It died 1 week later from lightning strike (was 5years old)..

now I have new psu and I can OC to max 932mhz again.

@Jkhan
    It will be 10-15% faster, idk if its worth it, I would look at at least 770GTX/680GTX.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

11. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    I finally solved it. I will switch back to the red side this time and I will be getting an HD7870. Since the performance should be similar to my overclocked GTX570 I will also have a chance to see how it behaves in different games compared to the former and make my mind for a future upgrade in the next year.

The "sad" part was the money I paid for it at that time. This time around I will be smarter and not buy high-end parts, just what's necessary to give me 30+ in the current and 1-year-after games at max settings, without AA at 1920x1080.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013