12.11 B11 vs 13.1 Reloaded for legacy cards

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Tree Dude, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Has anyone benchmarked these 2 drivers? I am really curious as to how they compare performance wise. I would imagine some games are going to be better on one vs the other, but it would be cool to nail down which.

I just got a 4890 from my buddy (FREE!!) and it is a very sizable upgrade from my 3870 and I want to get the most out of it since I am too poor for a proper upgrade. I will be trying out the 13.1 reloaded tonight, might wait for a full stable release of Dellon's 12.11 driver before I try it. Depends on how much free time I have (which usually isn't much).

2. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Well, my take is you either take corrections to found and fixed issues, or you take speed and bugs. My modifications were designed to do the former, not the latter (at least under Vista/7 anyway)

And based on that analysis, I think I just saved you a whole bunch of time wasting benchmarking things.

Mine were never designed to wring out all the speed from the outset, that never was the goal, but to just fix up some issues and tie up some lose ends, replace things that were missing etc.

On top of all this, the last optimisations for anything specific 4K series wise, ended after driver 10.9a (at least for single cards that is) where also I have released a fixed driver for 10.9a already in the hybrid thread (clock issues).

Happy trails...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Nice score on the card. Watch the GPU temps tho, they run pretty hot...

4. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Well that is good to know kev! Ten years ago I probably would have benchmarked em anyway for fun. But nowadays I don't have the time. Still can't help but be curious how a driver retrofitted to support older cards it was never meant to compares to it.

Can I ask if the Windows 8 Netflix app works on your drivers? Seems to break on everything but the stock driver that comes with Windows 8 (stops at 97% loading). Has really annoyed me on my HTPC which has an old 3k series in it.

Thanks. Yeah my buddy is a good guy. I have lots of airflow in my LanBoy, so no worries.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

5. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I didn't test it specifically with netflix, but it should work.

Just stay away from 4K UltraHD video, unfortunately the detection is broken with almost all drivers and you get a BSOD unless your on Windows XP (with the right drivers).

Still have an intermittent net connection so not that regular on here of late.

Got a damn REIN fault daily since I moved house with the DSL spoiling internet use every day.

6. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    No worries on the 4k video. Highest res monitor I have is 1080p.

Have you looked at this new FLEM utility? Looks interesting. Never thought I would have so many driver choices...

7. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    It's not the inability to display 4K video from places like youtube on your 1080p monitor that's the problem, rather just the attempt to display them crashes the driver and results in BSOD.

No I haven't checked FLEM. Busy fighting my ISP to get a working internet connection most days for almost 2 months now, think I might have to hunt down a router with impulse noise protection.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's because AMD GPU's don't properly support UHD4K rendering. You must disable Hardware Acceleration to watch UHD Pron......or movies crash free. ;)

Hope you got a good CPU...lol