Cracked the back glass

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by StewieTech, Aug 1, 2017.

1. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Damn! I cracked the back glass of my samsung galaxy a5 2017! In the corner, about a small 1 cm crack. Now i dunno if im being OCD or something but to me the appeal of the phone is lost. Does that sound strange? If i know the phone is not pristine i just stop enjoying it i dunno why. Damn. This thing costed me 380€ and now is cracked. Should i start using a case? :(

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Bit late for a case man, but it would help for future ones.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    My rule of thumb is always get a case for your phone. No matter how careful you think you are with it. All it takes it that one time to mess it up.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yep, few days after getting my S7 I took it out at night to try some long exposure shots, stood it on a wall against another part of the wall, and set the shot going, about 5 seconds in it slipped and got it's first war wound, small scratch on the corner but that was enough and I got a Spigen case

Back of the S7 is glass too, not sure why they thought putting glass on the back of a phone was a good idea, fingerprint magnet, slippy when clean and hands are dry, and fairly easy to break, plus you can't even tell it's glass it just looks like the metal back you can see through it

5. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I ordered a skin; it will hide the crack and scratches and give some needed grip. It will look as new. Screw cases they´re bulky and ugly, naked ftw.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  7. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    That case actually looks kinda nice. I can respect using a case, its a matter of opinion. For me it ruins the phone but i hear ya concerns.

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You can always use what's called UV glue to seal the cracks if you're worried about that. Just need a UV light to activate it.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Watched a demo on how to apply a screen protector using that stuff, ran a UV strip lamp over the top once it was applied

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I use it when I replace phone screens, it really helps as another layer of protection and it's also completely clear as well.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea looked like useful stuff, never seen it before that demo

12. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Anyone here ordered from xtremeskins.com.uk before? I hope it arrives soon, ive always been fond of skins as protection. I mean a fall is a fall but a skin is a fine addiction to a naked phone. And it will hide that awful crack, awesome. :nerd:

13. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    I will never buy a phone again with glass on the back side. Was almost happy when my s6 died. Back side made of glass has no practical purpose other than being annoying slippery and breaks easily.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea I don't understand why they did it either, I didn't even know it was glass until I read about it on XDA, I thought it was just metal so completely pointless really

Maybe it's Sammy's way of avoiding RMAs, if the glass is broken it's your fault, doesn't matter what happens to any other part of the phone after that, it's probably not under warranty once you break the glass lol

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The glass back was basically a requirement for wireless charging. Having an all-metal back would have interfered with inductive charging, thus they went with a glass back with a thin coating. I use inductive charging every day (I'll never buy another phone with it) so for me, the glass back is worth it.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah, that makes sense, I don't use wireless charging, the cost of the charger vs moving my hand a few inches to connect a cable wasn't worth it

17. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I put a skin on it yesterday, good as new. Now i just have to avoid dropping it :)

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

They could have used plastic as well, but I guess they consider that looking too cheap. They may look good, but a phone with more fragile elements than necessary for the benefit of looking good isn't practical. I guess they hope you'll buy another in 6 months when you break it! Keep in mind that if your phone has water and dust resistance like many new phones, a crack destroys that capability.

Regardless of a cover I would get a decentish glass screen protector.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    With Gorilla glass I've never had any issues with screens tbh, I baby all my phones so they tend to stay in near new condition throughout, but the S7 bezels were too thin and I was constantly touching the screen just holding it, and along with the one tiny scratch it got doing a long exposure shot, I got a case, case stops the problem with the bezels perfectly and has a small lip that runs around the screen so if it does get dropped screen first it'll hit those rims instead of the screen (Stones and pebbles avoided anyway)

Had the S5 without a case for nearly 2 years and that survived without a scratch too but that had a plastic back with a grippy surface

[​IMG]

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What's the problem with a glass back? The N4 had a glass back and regardless of the abuse I subjected it to, the glass back on my N4 is still pristine.... 3ft+ drops onto concrete on regular occasions.. A fall onto my gravel driveway with me landing on top of it. Damn phone was nearly bullet proof.

A proper phone case actually improves the phone instead of detracting from it.