Samsung S8

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by WhiteLightning, Mar 29, 2017.

1. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Well I broke and ordered one and should arrive tomorrow, my wife gets my trusty old S5, hope mine doesn't come with that reddish tint I've been reading about? That would annoy me considering the price of the thing.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I have S7 edge, but im running a hybrid s7/s8 nougat rom.
    so basicly all the S8 stuff on s7 edge. Its not perfect though some things crash and are fine in other roms. and other things crash there again.
    But we will get there eventually.

Im actually waiting for the Batman rom which will be released next month somewhere.
    Ive flash almost every day to try new roms LOL Im addicted! Most normal S7 roms are just fine.

3. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Its because you need to replace that in system/priv-app/samsungcamera6.
    you cant install it.
    It also needs more files of the framework to get it to run.

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862721615
    Before flashing with twrp, delete data and cache of camera app, otherwise it fc
    Be patient, boot will take 10to 15 minutes is normal ***128515;

what should i be missing on swiping right ?

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Thanks, I'm not rooted or TWRP, staying stock atm so that's why I was only trying APKs

The ones I tried had all the modes such as Pro, Panorama, Selective focus etc either bunched up together overlapping each other and unusable, or half of the modes weren't there

Tried a few different camera versions and always had to return to factory version due to one problem or another

If the image quality is indeed better with this flashable zip of the S8 camera, that would temp me to void warranty, I use the camera a lot

Can you post a couple of shots using the new S8 camera app some time?

5. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nice, yea it's done well not completely over or under exposing everything with the direct shot of the sun

I always shoot in 12MP 4:3 and then crop myself to try and maintain as much MP as possible, usually in Pro mode with RAW enabled unless they're just quick snaps of the dogs or something, now and then I get a stunning photo and there's been times I'd wished I had the RAW copy of it to edit, so generally always do RAW now

Had some nice night shots with 10 second Long Exposure on a tripod too

7. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    oh hehe. Im much too lazy to start editing things. Thats why im glad this app works so great.
    Ive installed the S7 nougat Superman rom this afternoon and im already missing the S8 animations. lol
    guess one more flash tonight :D

8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    I am having hard time to use s8 plus. Size is struggling. But battery is better than s8?

S8 vs s8 plus battery?

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Same as S7 vs S7E

3000mAh vs 3500mAh

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Yeah I know that but in real life usage. Smaller screen size 3000 mah vs bigger screen 3500 mah. My s8 plus is fine in battery. Bro saying s8 is not good but his usage and brightness is more than mine.

I love the feeling of s8 in the hand. Easy to handle. I regret this s8 plus a bit.

I accept each day I am getting used to it just unlocking phone is pain. Face and iris scans are not working all time. S8 plus finger scan place is hard for reach with single hand. That's my biggest struggle.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea the fingerprint reader location is stupid IMO, people saying Sammy did it on purpose to push people into using other authentication methods such as Iris

I didn't see enough of a jump in hardware to justify upgrading from the S7 yet, S8 looks like a very nice device, but more of an upgrade for someone with a much older S series IMO

13. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    With the S7 is was Sony vs Isocell camera sensor

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I upgraded from a S6 as well. Got the 8+ after trying it out at a Samsung store (I initially thought the screen would make the phone too big but the reduced bezels and adjusted dimensions made it pretty comfortable to hold). Expensive phone but it's very nice - for the first couple of days I couldn't put it down.

The battery life is a major difference. My S6 could barely hold a charge (and I think the battery expanded, as the screen and back were coming away from the frame) and it's nice to use a phone that can last an entire day. I'm not a big fan of the fingerprint sensor location, although using it in a case makes it easier. Iris works pretty reliably, haven't tried face.

The one complaint that I have is the Bixby button. Although Bixby is nice, I would like to reprogram the button to use Google Now. I know there's an app for this but it was kind of clunky (showed Bixby first before switching over to Google Now, so not ideal). I've resigned myself to using the Google search bar to summon Google Now.

Overall, it's a great phone, and a very worthy upgrade from my S6.

16. vanhelsing

vanhelsing Guest

GPU:
    GTX 107
    the design is totally beautiful

17. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Yes it is especially coming from an s5.. Mine had an update last Saturday added more colour options in display settings.

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    2,3 weeks old and I am used to this back side finger print sensor.

So happy with s8 plus. Size weight. All Good. Just ram is issue? I use SwiftKey in all my devices. Sometimes it takes time to to appear. Why no 6 gb of ram.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Surely it's not using all 4GB? I never get anywhere near 4GB with the S7, even with 4 big games and 8 fairly large apps running in the background I still have 880MB free

20. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    it could be that the program is sleeping so it will take a bit longer to activate.
    default rom dont have any optimisations to speed apps also.