MS Windows 8/RT discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Mr.Bigtime, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i considered the surface, but then i realised that its quite limited on an arm chip. it tries to squeeze itself between the arm and x86 market a bit too much, but it lacks the app market of android and x86 windows. (not sure if im explaining that properly but i guess you can understand what i mean?)

plus, it has the problem that i predicted it would, windows 8 is a space consumer and you end up with only 8gb or so free on the 32gb model, and 40gb ish on the 64gb model.

i think i'll wait for the surface pro since i'll more likely appreciate the x86 compatibility and just keep my note 2/nexus 7 for more portable stuff.

2. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    In a few years all the mid and high range tablets will run windows 8, and android is going to be used for only the cheapest models of tablets.
    Who would prefer android over the full version of windows 8 lol.

Ahhahahaha :stewpid:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  3. loneknives

loneknives Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy gtx 670 GC
    The only reason it stand out for me and want it is because of the wacom technology 1024 pressure sensitivity. Perfect for drawing

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 has a Wacom pen and digitizer too..

deltatux

5. loneknives

loneknives Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy gtx 670 GC
    but the galaxy note run on android os, can't install windows 7 software like photoshop :)

6. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    Besides the Surface Pro, you've got slightly cheaper and better options such as the Acer Iconia W700 out (which has a longer battery life than the Surface Pro according to the reviews I've read)

But what really interests me is the convergence that's taking place. Despite what some of us may feel about Windows 8 tablet, there's no doubt that there's a growing interest in something that offers all the performance and capability of a laptop/desktop (from what i've surveyed from the people around me). Sure, the iPad and android tablets have productivity apps, but it certainly doesn't compare to what there is on Windows (or linux, I'm sure somebody is bound to install it on their Surface Pro/Windows 8 tablet). And with the haswells looming, we're bound to see thinner, lighter and longer lasting tablets.

2013 will be an interesting year with the focus on mobile computing growing. It will be interesting to see how Intel pushes the mobile market with the Haswell, and in the future it would be cool to see a smartphone/tablet/laptop/desktop truly use the same operating system.

7. ibitato

ibitato Guest

acer iconia w700 is an amazing tablet, with full windows and real nice hardware and feel
    also, w700p comes with pro
    w510 is a bit small for my liking but its also a really nice tablet

RT is out of the cuestion if you want to be "productive" , that is
    use full 32/64 bits Winodws apps if you want
    w700 iconia is a full awesome 64bit PC

8. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    a shame that the w700 doesn't come with a type-cover like the Surface and instead comes with a bluetooth keyboard (can't imagine it being a joy to carry around a tablet and a mini keyboard separately).

As for the w510, it certainly is great when you look at the battery life, 8-10 hours stand-alone and 18 hours with the keyboard dock connected. Though it's a shame that it's using an Atom CPU (an unavoidable trade-off, in my opinion). Still, at least it's not too expensive, and while performance will definitely not be up to par with certain things, at least it's sufficient enough for general use

9. ibitato

ibitato Guest

that atom know is real 2 core.
    there are w8 32/64 bits based on AMD z_01 that runs well