The new 690 is strictly a stock price PR move.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pixelsmack, May 8, 2012.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

LOL now thats a word I never here used to often, "orifice", FTW.

Very very very good complex word. very good.

2. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Wow you even got the owner of the website quoting you... YOU'VE UPSET THE ALMIGHTY WITH YOUR BLASPHEMY!

3. Luumpy

Luumpy Master Guru

GPU:
    470gtx s/c
    :wanker:"genital stroking reviews" ....good one.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    kinda wrong context. orifice only correlates to the human body. not inanimate objects.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  6. Rickyy

Rickyy Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 hawk
  7. RedSeptember

RedSeptember Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 690 4gb
    See my rig. I like pc. I like sexy pc, but a single 580 CANNOT max some games out there at a solid and constant 60fps.

Now listen brother, I know we all have different experiences with gfx cards, but I have a 580 SLI set up and if a 690 can do the same if not more with regards to performance then i am sold, why? because less noise and less heat and a single card just mentally "feels" better.

I think this card is a great thing and there a many, MANY people who are going to buy this, use it and love it just like an expensive hoo... oops :)

Anyways thanks for bringing this thread up, its an interesting one. Have a good one!

8. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    I whole heartedly agree! I knew there were other not so sane people out there :D

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Bottom line GPU prices have gotten out of hand considering PC tech is held back cause of alot pc games are ports these days. and those are the only games the push those new overprices cards. there has not been a pc only game that pushed cards since crysis and metro. And I still think crysis was more brutal to gpu when it came out then metro. I have my doubts even when console catch up it will still be same problem of PC tech held back by consoles, cause consles are the lead dev for alot games. till that changes and pc games are the lead and pc games use the tech they actual have i dont see those overprices cards worth it.

But then I dont do 3 monitors or 5x 1080p res 1080p and 4x AA and 60fps is all is need and alot of other people, it just alot people here OC fanatics and 3d surround 3 monitor nitch market so they have that sense that it is the norm.

there a market yes, for the rich people that want the latest and greatest tech to stroke the e-peen those are the people that buy at the ridiculous prices and the people that are leading the cause to why gpu make keep raising there prices 1000$ for mid range dual chip gpu? at this rate in 5 years that will probably be like 1500-2000$.

Is it not a wonder why more people flock to consoles these days? its a sad fact but a true fact.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  10. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Wrong.

How do Nvidia price the 690 at $1000 with your reasoning "for the rich people that want the latest and greatest tech to stroke the e-peen those are the people that buy at the ridiculous prices and the people that are leading the cause to why gpu make keep raising there prices 1000$ for mid range dual chip gpu" WHEN IT HADN'T EVEN COME OUT.

On top of this, with your reasoning, these were the prices 5-10 years ago already on top of the line, so with your rate of 5 years, this 690 SHOULD have been $1500-$2000 already.

And everyone stating the 690 is mid-range, show me a physical card that is =/> than the 690. At the moment the 690 is top high-end as they haven't got anything else to push it to mid-range.

EDIT -

Console port or not, there are games/mods/configs out there that WILL cripple your $5000 super computer its just everyone uses their hardware within limits so its always going to look like "you realy only need a 5850 to play BF3" BS...

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I look at it a different way.
    Alot of pc gamers with fancy rigs would rather die then lower thier settings or resolutions to console levels to get the games to run faster.
    Its those people that do the upgrade to $1000 vga's.

About the price,its should be a few hundred cheaper going by past franken card prices

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah but the previous generations of dual cards used more power,generated more heat and did not overclock as well as there single pcb alternatives.

The technology on the 690 allows all these issues to be sorted out and that is what your paying for,hence the expensive price tag(i dont actually think that its expensive tbh)infact once they start refining keplar technology performance will be even better and prices should be cheaper.:)

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    its not wrong, I have watch gpu prices more then triple since the days of 3dfx people buy at the higher and prices so the makes keep trying to price higher and higher.

Case and point would be the ps3 is was 600$ system and people said no way they would buy it yet tons did, while the norma was about 299-399$ and next gen console are gona be more expensive then last and people will still buy it. so next gen will try to raise prices again.

It's no diffrent then what gpu makers have been doing for years.

14. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    It's all about the e-peen bro.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    $799 would of been a better price. dual gpu cards have in the past been cheaper than buying 2 physical cards. may of even gotten 1 at that price, I`ll pass, but I`ll refrain from making a new thread crying about it.

16. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    I guess where you are would also make a difference as the PS3s in Aus on release were $1000

6800 Ultras were around $600-$700 in 04/05

Also went a bit further back and found brand new Gefore 2 GTS for $700 from the year 2000

My point is prices haven't been rising, they've always been high for top end things. This is for ALL products, besides a companys BODs would be dissapointed if they didn't go for the juggular of our wallets for their best.

EDIT Still doesn't mean you need to get one or that it's for everyone it's just an option like all the other products :)

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I dont care what it sorts out as much as the performance,its price should not be equal to two 680's.
    $850 at most,but its a good card by the numbers i seen and you do get 680 sli performance :nerd: