GeForce GTX 680 2GB and 2560x1440?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by PR-0927, Oct 3, 2013.

1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    not had any issues with my 580 @1920x1200. yep am not trying for ultra though and am lowering to 2xaa sometimes...(played a lot of modded skyrim+bf3+4 and rome2 runs fine).

I'd go for the monitor OP and see how you go...

Would be interested to read about your discoveries as in the market for a new screen as well.

2. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
  3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    1440p rocks but personally I wouldn't run 1440p on less than what I got. I like my 60FPS+ but if you're fine with 30FPS (and dipping from ~45FPS to 30FPS in those cases going from 1080p) then it would be acceptable for you. Consider seriously if you would prefer higher FPS instead of higher resolution as 30FPS might be a bit on the low side. Most games would run quite faster than 30FPS anyways but we're talking about the demanding games here.

Oh and I have the Qnix QX2710. I advise you to watch out who you order it from. I got an almost perfect one from accessorieswhole, Pixel Perfect. They are the only ones who have a true "Perfect" Pixel policy since they allow 0 dead and stuck pixels, though it might also not be true that they check the monitor - regardless you get the ability to complain to eBay if it does not work as advertised. Anyways, their communication is excellent and they are highly rated. Many have ordered from them and have been satisfied, but one or two others have had some issues (dust speck under the screen is one example).

If you like, I'll be providing some color and motion science concerning the monitor soon.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah OK, sure you're right about BF3, I should know since I ran it maxed out with a 6950. But it doesn't really matter which exact game it is, only that they are out there...

We can use BF4 if you like, I guess you've seen the benchmarks were it chews through 2.7GB at max settings....:nerd:

I dunno about the vram scaling thing btw, DX11 can do dynamic frame buffers (dunno about that either).
    I did Google franebuffer scaling and only got 1 relevant link...and it was to some BF4 site..... so yeah....no idea.

Lack of vram can cause stuttering though...that's no big secret.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Yet they didn't actually use 2GB cards to see if they is any stuttering due to running out of VRAM. All they used are 7970 and GTX780, both 3GB cards. Same issue, BF4 will scale VRAM usage based on what these cards have.

Sounds interesting. So what is that about?

Definitely, but we need to compare two cards with exactly the same GPU and different VRAM. It might be helpful to compare a 3GB 7970 to a 2GB 770, but only when we're sure they perform about the same generally and one doesn't dip where the other doesn't when VRAM is sufficient.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    You didnt but its worth noting as fps is an important part of the performance. Not everyone likes to play there games at 30fps aka slideshow. So if you want more than 30-40 fps then a second card at 1440p is essential and it should be noted to people that arnt sure.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    And what is acceptabe FPS to you? Could you please try Crysis 3 at 1440p and come back with your results? Outdoor areas @ 1200p Very High FXAA in that games make my cards sweat like hell (30-40ish FPS). Or maybe I just have crappy cards? Idk.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    True

That's what I'm asking -

I figured Agent or yourself could tell me since you guys said it was possible. I've never heard of it and can't find any info on Google...... maybe you can give me a link to the info.

Closest thing I know of is the Dynamic Frame Buffer in DX 11.1...

Maybe this has something to do with the ridiculous amount of address space BF3/4 allocates to itself......? I mean yeah it's 64 bit but running out of memory with 8GB installed is a bit off......

Also true, although if the test involves many cards with say 1GB, 2GB or 3GB a pattern can often emerge where the 1GB cards (for example) will be at the bottom of the results chart.

9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Fortunately, PR-0927 has already said he doesn't care about having a 60fps epeen, which is who I was giving the advice to. There's a difference between being reasonable and being an elitist.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh puuuleezee. :rolleyes: Since when has 60fps ever been elitist?

Can u list a few of your fav fps where you feel 40fps is a perfectly acceptable frame rate for the avg player?

Not including Crysis, Skyrim or Fallout 1/2/3/nv btw..

11. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Since the day people started caring more about what fps is being displayed on their osd rather than playing the game.

Funny you should ask. Minus Source Engine games, my personally preferred target frames per second is 45 average.

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Not really related to the OSD. I can easily detect when FPS dips below refresh rate, the OSD is only there to tell me I'm right.

It's a preference, you know? If I had to take 45FPS, alright, but if I had a choice not to, I definitely would not. Also, it doesnt make sense to me to be using downsampling, which is of diminishing returns, if I have to sacrifice 60FPS. But it makes sense to you, right?

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I can handle New Vegas or Skyrim or something like Shogun at 45fps, but not a fps.

60fps is hardly elitist when half the gaming community use 120hz monitors......80-100fps is elitist imho. I run 85 :p

And what about all the naysayers (haven't seen any for a while tbh) that diss AMD cause they "only" get say 75fps compared to the i7 @110fps.

Are they elitist pricks?

14. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    dunno why you guys are bickering really. both sides are right in their own ways..

i think OP should go for one of those screens, been reading up on a thread here

http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-korean-pls-monitor-club-qnix-x-star

i wasnt sure if you could overclock the ones listed on ebay circa £300..seems u can...i was under the impression was just the overlords...

and if you do find you arent happy with the 680...sell it and upgrade...but i reckon you'll be fine.

15. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    You must hate gaming on a console then.
    Regardless, I'd like to see the statistic which confirms half of the pc gaming community uses 120Hz monitors.

Yeah, I'd say so. Most of them don't seem to understand there's a performance difference between a ~$150 component and $225+ component. Not everyone has the luxury to spend $1000 (or more) on a computer.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yep, and I'd like to see statistics which confirm 60fps is considered elitist.

Btw I hate consoles and what they've done to PC gaming. I don't even game much these days and I still hate them .

17. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I figured as much.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well it's not exactly a state secret......I've said that a few times in various related discussions/threads.

19. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I don't check every thread on a daily basis just so I can see you blaming consoles for developer neglect.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I've tested the bf3 scaling myself and have found it to be true. 680s used 1.8gb constitently, still have 200mb free, doesn't stutter whatsoever. Crysis 3 pegs VRAM usage, is a stutter fest maxed with 4xmsaa. Ok so bf3 is leaving a tad available. Go to Titan now it's using 2.5gbs or more for VRAM. Well if it were the case that 2gb of VRAM wasn't enough it would be evident but again it wasn't.

Also no dynamic frame buffer scaling is not possible in dx11 API afaik. Frostbite engine does a much simpler way of utilizing it. Game detects VRAM and adjusts draw distance of objects, textures, grounds etc and the detail distance of said objects. The only thing the engine is changing is values in some cfg file.

If you still don't believe me, I'll dig around for dices response