SweetFX Shader Suite release and discussion thread #2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaicooper

kaicooper Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 SC ACX
    guys plz how to use sweetfx with half life 2 mods through steam
    i tried many things but nothing!!

2. Boulotaur2024

Boulotaur2024 Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD7950
    Oops posted again, damn :/

3. Maken

Maken Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti 6GB
    Makens SweetFX 2.0 Alpha for Spec Ops The Line

SweetFX 2.0 Alpha for Spec Ops The Line
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Please keep in mind this before use my settings:
    1- Its not obligatory to use SweetFX 2.0 alpha preview but i did this using it.
    2- I dont include Sharpening and SMAA / FXAA settings to avoid problems with users tastes. Use any AA you like and make Sharpen settings to your tastes too.
    3- This settings are just minor changes. You can edit anything you want and make it look to your tastes.
    4- I just included all settings do you need so copy, paste / change to the SweetFX version you most like.

Settings:
    Code:
       /*-----------------------------------------------------------.
      /                      Choose effects                                           /
      '-----------------------------------------------------------*/
    #define USE_HDR                1
    #define USE_LIFTGAMMAGAIN      1
    #define USE_CURVES             1
      /                        HDR settings                                            /
    #define HDRPower               0.89
    #define radius2                0.75
      /                      Lift Gamma Gain settings                              /
    #define RGB_Lift               float3(0.999, 0.999, 0.999)
    #define RGB_Gamma              float3(0.999, 0.999, 1.180)
    #define RGB_Gain               float3(0.998, 0.998, 0.998)
      /                        Curves settings                                        /
    #define Curves_contrast        0.4
    #define Curves_formula         1

4. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI

5. Maken

Maken Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti 6GB
    ups my bad, delete.

6. kaicooper

kaicooper Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 SC ACX
    i can c that other ppl can make it work but need AA off in game
    i did AA off in game and copied the files in Half Life 2 folder
    and copied the d3d dll and injector to Bin folder

whenver wanna play the game..it just give me
    ' hl2 stopped working ' ..what to dp?

7. ninjafada

ninjafada Guest

GPU:
    pny 670
    will be easier if you copy your log.log here

8. jelbo

jelbo Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX670 DirectCUII
    Oh my... that's amazing! :eek: Will try this out on a lot of games :D Thanks a lot for your efforts!

9. Stein3x

Stein3x Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 GTX G1 | SLI
    Resident Evil 5 DX10 (3200x1800 Downsampled +4MSAA + SMAA + SweetFX)

First post here on Guru3d,hope you like my screens (click on pics for full resolution)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  10. jelbo

jelbo Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX670 DirectCUII
    @Boulotaur2024: the scanline effect works great on low resolutions. Would it be possible for SweetFX or the crt shader to take a low resolution as input (say 960*600) and output that as a higher resolution (say 1920*1200, in this case twice as big as the original) in order to be able to properly add the subtle CRT effects?

This would enable demanding games to be played on older systems, while still presenting a nice image. For example, my system cannot really play Crysis all that well, but when I set 960*600 in Crysis it'll run a lot better. If SweetFX can be set to make the output 1920*1200, combined with the CRT effects that would would make the low resolution still look very cool.

11. kaicooper

kaicooper Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 SC ACX
    i didnt get u man..is it working with u sweetfx with HL 2?
    i have steam version..how to enable it?

i did for all..portal and hl2 and ep1+ep2
    all same STOPPED WORKING

EDIT: this what written in log. for HL2

full path: d:\steam\steamapps\kaicooper\half-life 2\bin\

12. Boulotaur2024

Boulotaur2024 Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD7950
    I don't get it, you mean you want SweetFX to upscale the game instead of either your monitor OR your GPU ? Upsampling with HLSL code may give better results than your monitor built-in scaler (mine is crap I just realized that, thanks for that), but the GPU scaler (again I just noticed that) does a fine job usually... I don't know what's the upsampling algorithm in use (lanczos, bcubic...) but it looks good... Enable it if you haven't already and THEN set 960*600 in Crysis graphic options, go fullscreen, apply CRT shader

13. jelbo

jelbo Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX670 DirectCUII
    Yes.
    Let me try to explain. If you play Crysis or any other game using 960*600 combined with the CRT shader, what happens is:
    1. Game is set to and outputs 960*600
    2. The CRT effect is calculated on and output as a 960*600 image
    3. The 960*600 image is upscaled by the GPU or monitor (depending on how you set it up)
    Downside to this is that the CRT effect will not be very sharp because of the upscaling of the effect itself. My idea is:

1. Game is set to and outputs 960*600
    2. SweetFX or CRT shader resizes image to 1920*1200 (user value), without any slowing-down Lanczos or whatever filters, just plain and simple 'Paint-style' resizing.
    3. The CRT effect is calculated on and output as a 1920*1200 image (resulting in a sharp and pretty CRT effect, applied to the simple-resized image)
    4. The 1920*1200 image is displayed
    This way you can play games with low resolutions (and nice performance) and still get a pretty output, if you like CRT effects ;) Kind of like that Metal Slug 3 image you posted, but instead of the emulator outputting a high resolution image -which I assume is the case with your screenshot- you can leave it to the native resolution of 320×224 and let shaders do the pretty-fying.

14. Boulotaur2024

Boulotaur2024 Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD7950
    Actually no, in your example the filter right now is calculated and output as a 1920*1200 image...

... Well it should anyway, since I'm still struggling with finding the right values for the rubyTextureSize and rubyInputSize : if you look at the CRT.h code both of these are assigned with the value float2(BUFFER_WIDTH /4, BUFFER_HEIGHT /4). Now you're going to ask me why whould you divide both width and height by 4 ? Well, I shouldn't since the filter is supposed to be applied on the whole width and height, therefore I should assign these two with a simple float2(BUFFER_WIDTH, BUFFER_HEIGHT) -which is equal to the screen_size macro- (you can try that yourself by the way)

Problem is, by doing that I'm not getting the same results as the same filter applied, say, in bsnes/RetroArch (horizontal scanlines are invisible mainly). So I tried to fiddle around, divided things in a rather random way until I got a comparable result... It looked close when dividing both of these by 4, maybe because the emulated game native resolution was something like 320x240 I don't know... So yeah as you can see that's just empirical trials and errors. I don't get the logic behind these values yet (Ctrl + F rubyTextureSize in that page)

I know this guy had the same issue I/we are facing. I haven't read thoroughly his findings yet

I really should start using a decent development environment, something better than Notepad++ to see what the variables actually contain at runtime. That'd clear up all my doubts. On my way to download GPU ShaderAnalyzer. I'm assuming the BUFFER_WIDTH macro should return the full screen width of my monitor (ie. 1680 for me and 1920 in jelbo's case), but I'm not even sure, maybe it returns the native/windowed width (ie 960 in jelbo's case), I doubt it though

EDIT : I added a new CRTResolution parameter as a workaround for this issue, it'll let you adjust the look of scanlines, subtle or strong and pixelated (default). See my previous post for details

15. juba 222

juba 222 Guest

GPU:
    Hi, guys

i just bought Battlefield 3 . can you guys give me a nice sweet pls?

16. kaicooper

kaicooper Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 SC ACX
    anyone?

17. 4hwgenxx

4hwgenxx Guest

GPU:
    2x 7970 CFX
    can you post the config!??? Pleeeeeeeaaase!

18. Maken

Maken Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti 6GB
    AC 3
    No AA and No DX11
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@ kaicooper
    Hmm how to explain, when you run one game with SweetFX for first time, it creates one log.txt where you installed Sweetfx, copy all what is inside in that log.txt and post it here then ninjafada will read it and see if he can help you, also you are not telling us what SweetFX are you trying to use.

19. ninjafada

ninjafada Guest

GPU:
    pny 670
    yeah from the log.log we can see that it crash before initialisation
    are you sure you don't have any overlay or else
    or perhaps it's the in game AA

you have all your sweetfx files in d:\steam\steamapps\kaicooper\half-life 2\bin\ ?

20. Poison

Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 12gb
    Does anyone have settings for planetside 2, the colors are too bright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.