Playstation Orbis? Rumors of the new Sony console have surfaced

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by DSparil, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I get the piracy debate, it's a newer issue.

But used games seems like such an excuse for poor sales. Funcoland was around back in 93 and for 14 years no one said boo about used games. Now all of a sudden it's an issue and it's killing the industry.

Bullsh*t. It's greed and excuses for bad games not being sold.

2. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    its always been an issue. Pubs complained about it since late 80's at least. It just has far more media attention now than ever.

who made that a law? besides their both rumored. Either is prefectly do able

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  3. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    the fact that "apparantly" i will not be able to either sell my games or use it across consoles are two reason i will NOT get this.

4. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    lol. :)

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    No one made that law, it's common sense, no system has ever had such a large gap between competitors. It makes it incredible difficult for developers to make multi-system, third party games.

6. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Sure there was; for example, the 3DO was unmatched until the Dreamcast came out years later.

7. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Actually, the multi platform thing is fairly new stuff in the video game industry. Previously only selected big publishers tried to pull such things by paying extended development for multi platform titles (in the best cases of course, there is still the "well, do it for two platforms... in the same time, or you're fired" )

Before that, Nintendo 64 titles were Nintendo 64 titles, PS One titles were PS One titles, etc. There wasnt this "If its big buck publisher, it will get released even on the Wii" thing that now is the shizzle.

It was just because what you mentioned, there was a big gap between systems, there were way more dedicated chips with custom designs than now. It was a very closed system, more than now.

8. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    ^^ Now, you basically have consumer grade components on a PPC based CPU. Granted, the low level implementations are significantly different, but its simmilar stuff to what you already have in PC's.

Consoles are basically becoming dedicated gaming PC's now, with one spec that gets updated every 5 years, with limited AA and graphics stuck on medium.

9. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I personally will have a problem with this along with at least half of my friends. We tend to share and borrow games of each other (unless its a multi-player game that we can play co-op) and it will piss of a lot of people. Almost everyone i know trades and shares their games with their friends.

10. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    While PCs are becoming more and more consoleish (and people demand it, aka Steam Machines for every1 and be done with Windows! ) yay for progress?

Anyway, this whole 2nd hand, or lended games thing its a friggin mess. And i dun like them devs in GDC talking about the "victory against 2nd hand market" either. I'd expect that from Ubi, EA, or any other publisher, but not from the devs... not from the devs! :puke2:

11. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    When the next Xbox and PS3 (any even PC games) with no 2nd hand market compatible games comes out, I am expecting a VERY VERY BIG CRASH in the gaming market and everyone going broke.

Because people might just say, what the F and never buy games at all.

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    The death knell for 3DO wasn't Dreamcast, it was PlayStation.
    And as you've said it yourself, it's years later, so it's obvious there'd be a large technology gap.

Damn I miss local multiplaying with daisy-chained controllers on the 3DO...

13. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Yes, the Playstation killed the 3DO, but technology wise, it was a decade ahead of its time.

And in other news, it sounds like Orbis dev kits are already out, and its looking like Sony already has NDA's with publishers that expire right after next years E3...

14. Firepac

Firepac Guest

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 680GTX 4GB
    The 3DO also had some of the weirdest games ever on any console. That (and lack of good games) probably had more to do with its demise.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Don't forget the load times. Worst load times in the history of gaming.

16. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    This.....

it actually could happen and piss off a LOT of people. If they manage to do that there will be a big problem in the gaming industry for companies.

17. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I forgot to mention that -> When it happens, the only thing which will keep gaming alive would be piracy on PC. (and since Piracy is close to nil on Consoles, their market might crash).

18. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    piracy is very much active and alive on all current consoles barring the 3ds and vita

19. Jayaitch

Jayaitch Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 460
    I would like to go the route of MS for my next Console.

I absolutely love the PS3 but it has had its issues with Multi-plat releases.
    Unless of course the PS4 is epic!

Dont care too much on the hardware its uses - as long as it's an improvement on the previous.

20. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    1st gen CD-ROMS. Everything had to be loaded into RAM, as streaming from the CD was simply not viable.