Maya Bike Bench: real world performance in Autodesk Maya

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by NormanBates, Oct 29, 2009.

1. kocha

kocha Member

GPU:
    NVidia Quadro FX4600
    Maya viewport performance

Maybe driver modding isn't the right path to go in order to achieve good Maya viewport performance. I have spent a couple of days "investigating" Maya API and come to conclusion that much better way would be to make Maya plugin - DirectX viewport renderer (something like Furry Ball, but not with all "bells and whistles"). I do some programming, but it would be good someone better and more expirienced than me to take part in such a project.

"Pro et contra" of this solution:

pro:
    Viewport performance in proportion with GPU DirectX performance, no matter Nvidia or Ati, pro or gaming card.

contra:
    Solution for Maya only, other applications performance "status quo".

A lot of work, but driver modding isn't easy either :)

What do you think?

2. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    it sounds wonderful, but it is definitely beyond my skills (just like driver modding, by the way)

one thing this has, which driver modding doesnt, is commercial opportunities, but it wouldn't be easy either: both furryball (selling a leaner, simpler version) and autodesk (improving performance, or moving to directx) could kill your market at any point in time

3. kocha

kocha Member

GPU:
    NVidia Quadro FX4600
    Well, one thing I do know - Furry Ball will never run on XP, nor 32 neither 64 bit, because they use DirectX 10 ("bells and whistles"). Autodesk could migrate to DirectX, I am amazed they didn't do that already. They have 3DS Max DX renderer to port on Maya side, for such a big company it should be "null problemo" :)

On the other hand, Autodesk offered open source Maya API, like they are not interested in the development of minor plugins and want community to jump in.

Maybe they have some kind of deal with Nvidia, after all OpenGL is what sells Quadro :)

4. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    I think the maya-opengl thing is because they want to keep it multi-platform capable, specially because the big studios like to have multiple platforms collaborating in each project: they may have mac for the modellers, win for the animators, and linux for the render farm, and they want to have exactly the same program running under all those systems, but there's no directx for mac or linux

still, what I realized after writing my previous post is: the MayaCarBench results seem to point to the CPU being the narrowest bottleneck in maya, so maybe porting the viewport to DX wouldn't make that much of a difference, unless in the process you also alter some of the stuff that's working on the CPU

5. kocha

kocha Member

GPU:
    NVidia Quadro FX4600
    I was playing with FurryBall Demo for a day, then I killed Vista and installed XP again :)

During "Furry" viewport rotate/scale/move test I saw no or very little CPU utilization. That's because developers wrote hardware shaders for GPU - not CPU. All the shading and texturing is done by GPU !!! I was lazy to try connecting MayaCarBench scene with FurryBall shaders, but common sense tells me that gaming cards should benefit a lot due to great number of shader units and/or streaming processors. I think of GPU as of CPU with much more cores but reduced instruction set. GPU programming is getting very popular nowdays (cgFx, HLSL, OpenCL...), maybe I should "catch that train".

I am not quite sure if I am going to start such a serius project, but who knows...winter is gonna be looong :)

P.S. I am long way offtopic, sorry...

6. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
  7. avadona

avadona Member

GPU:
    xxxxx
    subb'd...

sorry guys, i've been reading all these threds (softmoding and benchmarking) for quite a while, before decided to ask some important(well, for me;) question about Volterra on the 4870 (for softmod) on other thread(you probably even know which one)...so - sorry again :(

8. Booim

Booim Member

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB (QFX 3700)
    Hi guys,

Just want to post my 8800GT @ QFX3700 scores:
    One time I could see 40+ fps, but mostly I see the lowest fps at around 50+.

I'm using 182.08 driver in my Win7 x64 box (C2Q 9450 no OC @2,66 ghz | 4 gigs 800 mhz DDR2) - Maya Profile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
    I have 33 fps on the bike when you look from distance. Windows 7 x64 182.08 patched Q6600@2,4 and 1680x1050.

10. schoko

schoko Guest

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    ati firegl maya peroformance problem found !!

@ all

the problem seems to be found, and the performance in maya is back. i have read this thread and had a look at the drivemodel and the autodetect feature for the opengl capabilities of the firegl driver, and as i assumed there was a bug in the driver. well, not exactly the driver, but more in the workstation profile for maya.

the bug is in the atiogl.xml

well, i have played around a little bit with the atiogl.xml and installed maya 2010, and now guess what happened....

the framerate, and thus the performance for the the bike.ma went up by 400 %.

before i had 13 fps for my hd2600 mobility @ v5600 in maya 2009 (no sp1)

and now i have a steady 50 fps in shaded mode in maya 2010

i will attach the modified atiogl.xml in these two posts :

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313065
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=312673

please try if this works for you and give some feedback for the other users.

11. schoko

schoko Guest

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    for this benchmark i need to update my results also :

the result was achieved with the latest modified atiogl.xml
    bike.ma :
    shaded - 76 - 81 fps
    wire - 79 - 83 fps

and thats the config of my machine:

maya 2009 sp1 - Win7 x64 HP 8510p with T7700(2.4GHZ),Hd2600 mobility(stock clocks 500/600MHZ), 4GB ram
    btw. additional info: turned off all the eyecandy in win 7 ( best performance setting), basicly it looks like XP now, and it is even that fast or faster in some demanding graphics intensive tasks

12. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    great news, schoko, thanks a lot!

WOW you did rock the table, man!!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  13. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    hi it's my first time in this thread.

What sort of bench does this test on?

Open GL?

14. tomashomecat

tomashomecat New Member

GPU:
    hd4850 1gb
    can anybody please reupload bike.ma file again? file not exists in rapidshare and i cannot find it anywhere in the web. i suggest to use http://uploading.com because mayaCarBench file still lays there.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010