Is 7.1 worth the clutter ? + Anyone vouch for the Klipsch GMX D5.1

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Idiot_Amin, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Idiot_Amin

Idiot_Amin Active Member

It's a question that no doubt has come up a few times before and the issue is straigtforward - is actually setting up speakers for full 7.1 surround worth the extra clutter ? Can experienced gamers comment on how they may have tried the extra two channels on then off to compare. Thinking about positioning the extra two would be properly behind rather than just to the side and behind as in 5.1 channels 4 and 5. This might give a more realistic "creep up behind" I suppose but does it really make an appreciable difference.

Apart from the clutter of trying to mount channels 6 and 7 in free space behind me ( 4 and 5 is easy , on furniture to the side/back ) I find that several up market PC speaker sets are only for 5.1 Two examples are the Creative Progamer G500 and the Klipsch sets past and present.

I notice that the latest 7.1 sets from Creative and Logitech also have a decoder box for movies. That is something I really don't need as I do movies on a multi thousand pound system anyway. I want good PC speakers to render games well and to have background music as I web surf and to sample music in the course of making buying choices of CD's. So you see, I just need a straightforward powered speaker arrangement; no decoder box. I've looked around but I simply cannot find a set other than those with !

If I decide that 5.1 is quite enough for my gaming and for musi listenming while on the computer, then I might well get hold of a Klipsch system. I know that the Creative Progamer G500 is great for games but is a bit crude for music, while the Klipsch is more refined but has less impact - which is ok as I don't do games loud anyway and even with my present puny sub I have it set really low. Klipsch have had a good rep in the past for quality e.g. with their "Promedia" sets but seem hard to find and reportedly have had problems like reliability and heat. Now I see there is a new set, the GMX D5.1 at £200 from Amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...2206?v=glance&n=560798&s=electronics&v=glance
    Can anyone comment on these ?
    Also, has anyone seen a 7.1 equivalent by Klispch or any other ? No decoder box mind.

2. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    Apparently it's the agreement among audiophiles that 7.1 is overkill. It's worth investing in a nicer 5.1 set then getting a well priced 7.1. If money isn't an issue, then obviously you will notice a slight improvement from those 2 extra channels (if you can find a place to put all those fuggers :D). But I find that gaming with 5.1 gives me enough edge over the competition. In games like F.E.A.R. multiplayer, I can defintely notice where footsteps are coming from alot more easily and alot quicker than the average player with onboard sound and decent 2 speakers. Why? Because when coming around a corner they look like a deer in headlights whereas I've already started to fire as they are walking into my line of sight. Gotta love surround sound on x-fi.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  3. Idiot_Amin

Idiot_Amin Active Member

I do intend to be using an X-Fi card in my new machine.

As far as sound quality goes, 7.1 over 5.1 won't do anything for that. I mean really, the basis for that comes from what the set can do in stereo and how crude or otherwise the sub is. In a way I laugh when quality is discussed about these systems as for example the price of these Klipsch "luxury" speakers is about what I'd spend on one meter long interconnect in my hifi system ! But of course, speakers like that are a cut above the norm in multimedia speakers.

The issue of having 7.1 over 5.1 would really be about placement of sounds. It would be a shame to have an X-Fi and run the latest sophisticated games that may ( I don't know ) have recently upped sophistication in the specificity and steering abilities to the rear channels and miss out on these refinements. Can other gamers give their views please, particularly those who have purposely tried a comparison to see the difference.

4. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    On the X-Fi xtreme music you have the choice of 5.1 + a microphone or 7.1 without a microphone, and honestly, I see no point in 7.1 if you can get some nice quality 5.1 speaker. But hey if money isn't an issue then you should just go out get the best xfi you can, get a nice hometheatre amplifier, link them up with an optical connection and connect as many speakers as you like, and of what quality you like.

5. Idiot_Amin

Idiot_Amin Active Member

Indeed, but my "home theatre" and hifi system is away from the pc, separate and faces another way. I need speakers for the pc's purposes i.e. gaming, background music while web surfing and for checking out samples in my hunt for CDs to buy. I would never try to mix pc and hifi - LOL they are in a different league.

Like I said , having 7 over 5 is not a quality improvement, it is just a directional thing i.e. more specificity in the steering. What I am in the dark about is just to what extent having the two extra speakers in the behind position improves your perceptions of sound location. That is why I invite those who have exerimented with both to comment.

If the consensus seems to be little extra is gained through 7.1 then I'd really be happy with 5.1, particularly as so far the best multimedia speaker sets I have found have been 5.1 e.g. the Klipsch I mentioned and the likes of M-Audio and others from the "pro-music" world.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Stick with the 5.1. There isn't alot of true 7.1 material out there yet, so music or movie wise everything will just be upmix. as far as gaming goes There is no rule that says 7.1 is better than 5.1. 5.1 surround is more than enough in most games. Other than that alot of people use headphones. I love speakers for gaming though. If I was you I would invest in a decent 5.1 set make sure they are tuned in and set up correctly and away you go...enjoy.

7. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    7.1 material is going to be showing up this year I think. Once 7.1 is the new standard I'm gonna be looking in investing in a 9.1 receiver and a 2kw amp of some sort.

Oh by the way, I went from 5.1 to 7.1, there is a noticeable difference in directionality (if there is such a word :nerd: ). Also, ambient sounds in games such as FEAR, GRAW, and Doom 3 are insane! You must hear to beleive. Kinda sad though for me. I do get ambient sounds, but because of the strange way my setup is hooked to my X-fi ruins alot of the experience. If anyone is interested I might sell my X-fi for $80.00~ + shipping. I'll sell once I have my X-purity :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006