More on Ryzen Memory Support, Game Performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 19, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Aniboom

Aniboom Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 6950 XT
    Can't wait for the day Zen+ will be released. If my expectations aren't too high, i might be getting myself a new, more mature, memory-hiccups-free CPU with some extra IPC compared to the current release.
    Things finally got interesting again!

3. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Yeah James,Samsung is Samsung in everything. ;)

Forget about Intel with 2400MHz max,Ryzen needs 3200+ MHz to unleash the power of their CCX (CPU-Complex ).

The question is when the MB manufacturers will be able( or wanna do) to push faster RAM timings.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  4. GDILord

GDILord Guest

GPU:
    RX470 4GB
    /OT
    @Aniboom: I see that you also used to read some funny web comics back in the day. :)

5. Aniboom

Aniboom Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 6950 XT
    @GDILord: The way these guys handled situations kinda sums up my life here at the IT Service Desk. :)

GDILord likes this.
  6. Sweeeper

Sweeeper Guest

GPU:
    32 gb
    I just be happy when I can run 3200mhz more then 1 hour without bsod..

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I doubt any new CPU will be totally free of memory compatibility troubles right off the bat. But surely it will be much better.

8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    They did not mention anything about Ryzen 3 launch-did I miss something? What is Ryzen 3 going to be anyway? 4/4 thread or is that the Apu version with on-die Graphics?

9. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    x370 mATX

Would be nice to have some high end x370 boards in mATX. Something with more and better VRM's than the mATX boards to date. This is part of the issue with memory support as there are effectively no high end boards smaller than ATX(excluding BIOSTAR's near impossible to obtain x370 mITX and mATX boards).

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm not sure what this has to do with AMD, but rather board partners. You already stated, Biostar has an x370 mITX/ATX boards, so it's not like AMD is telling them "no, you can't make that"

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'm absolutely certain that AMD provided partners with initial board layouts.

12. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    So Ryzen have problems with memory, it means it have problems with prefetching and caching, but still can rival with Intel... Imagine they would fix that problems...

13. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Will Ryzen MB support 3600+ memory with 100mhz "BCLK"? THAT is the question.

More than 104? mhz f#¤ up the M.2 ssd and pci-e speed :(

14. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    First, I don't know why people are expecting these things from budget motherboards. I know it will be a 370 chipset for me--budget Intel mboards are horrid little beasts, and some of them don't even offer much of a bios/UEFI at all, IIRC...;) And they sure are *not* layered for overclocking...! So why the expectations of a Ryzen budget board to run like a 370 board? Go figure...

But, anyway, I've noticed with my MSI 970a (970 Gaming) motherboard for my fx-8320e that with 16GBs of ram (4x4) DDR3 installed, that using the *manual* settings in the UEFI for my ram *won't work* at all (I use the M4 UEFI version--the latest and last, apparently)! But when I use the XMP UEFI setting, instead, for exactly the same values on timing and MHz, the system runs like a clock every time. So you are exactly right in pointing out that this is definitely a vendor-specific issue with regard to motherboards--just exactly the way it is with Intel boards, imo.

15. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Ryzen has no unusual problems at all, actually. All of this is the "teething" process that *all* new cpu architectures go through when first released to the mainstream. It is so common it's yawn material. I will say, however, that compared with the problems AMD faced when trying to get the original Athlon/AMD-64 to market, with Intel threatening mboard OEMs with Intel parts shortages if they manufactured Athlon motherboards, and Intel actually paying vendors like Dell (at the time--not true any longer) *not to sell* AMD products, these problems are exceptionally minor. Almost seems like nit-picking, because as time from launch moves on these configuration snafus will disappear.

16. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Aura89
    Yes, it actually has. Amd showed from the beginning that all x370 boards would be atx, and didnt list mAtx at all for the x chip.
    I doubt asus/asrock would not produce x370 mAtx boards, if they could. I don't think they will spend money on completely designing matx boards from ground up.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Pegatron is well known for custom motherboards. In fact, most of Pegatron's motherboard sales are custom boards.

For those that don't know, Pegatron is the company that owns ASRock and was formerly a division of Asus that got spun-off into it's own company. Pegatron competes directly with Foxconn in the OEM motherboard market.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    explain biostar then, because they completely blow your idea out of the water.

[​IMG]

As to them not spending the money, you are contradicting yourself. Either AMD tells them they can't do it, or the company is unwilling to spend the money on want they can do.

In regards to money, not sure that would make sense. I mean, sure, it's possible, but BIOSTAR of all companies has done it, so....if a company like BIOSTAR is willing to do it, what does that say about the other companies?

As i stated:

I never said i doubt AMD didn't give them plans for mATX

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yes , with new early beta bios based on the new AMD Agesa microcode 1.0.0.6 it has already happened a few hours ago :D , Elmor from Asus ( R&D ) just posted 2 new Bios based on the latest Agesa microcode 1.0.0.6.

Early Beta Bios for Asus CrossHair 6 x370 = 9943 and 9945 ( If Hynix AFR 4x16GB or Samsung B 4x8GB, you might have more luck with this ) , post #15903 on this thread at ocn from Elmor download here - http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/15900#post_26106654

New multipliers:
    4000!

People are reporting great things on this very early beta bios , Hynix dual ranked memory now works at 3200Mhz as well as Micron memory on 2x16GB as well as 4x8GB populated dimms. People are getting DDR4-3733Mhz + on Samsung B-die memory without touching bclk :) and i expect to see DDR4-4000Mhz soon ... , as they keep tweaking and improving this Bios before they are official at Asus website. Keep in mind these are very early beta bios and the first one to come out with the new Agesa microcode , so they still have a bug here and there to iron out. So sad i'm not at home to thoroughly test this bios :/ , but once i get home next week i shall test it for maximum Ram speeds.

Last edited: May 20, 2017