BF3 frame rate gets chopped in half

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by rashal, May 9, 2012.

1. rashal

rashal Guest

GPU:
    CF gigabyte 5870 1Gb
    Hi guys,

First of all here are my specs -

i7 920 @ 3.3Ghz
    CF gigabyte 5870 @ stock
    6Gb corsair DDR3
    OCZ vertex 2 128Gb SSD
    Corsair 750W PSU

I've been playing BF3 since it came out and performance was changing with every new game and graphic patch that came out, but most of the time it didn't dip under 60fps.

Lately I've started recording gameplay and that when I noticed my FPS gets chopped by half (or more) after around 5 minutes of playing. I've tried pretty much every possible way to solve this including -

1) Disabling HT - had a negative effect overall, still having a huge FPS drop after 5 min.

2) Disabling speedstep - no effect.

3) Trying a lot of different driver combination - even though there was a small change in overall FPS, the main problem remained. (used driversweeper every time)

4) Disabling CF. Didn't solve the FPS drop.

I've been monitoring temps and they are all fine, below 80c at full load, CPU stays at around 65+ at full load. The funny thing is nothing seems to indicated any changes once the FPS gets chopped - same load on GPU and CPU, same Vram usage, same memory usage. Also if I quit the game, wait a few minutes and go bask again, I get good FPS again for a few minutes and then it gets chopped yet again... The situation is just plain frustrating.

Any ideas?

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Maybe do a memtest on your RAM?

3. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Did it only start happening when you've started recording? I've seen people saying FPS gets hit using FRAPS and the like, Can't think of anything else ATM :p

EDIT: I've had something similar to this where in Batman AC I would be playing and all good 60fps then alt+tab out then back in and the FPS would be at least halved and felt like i was running some ridiculous res with all eye candy maxed yet all I did was alt+tabbed, I'd have to restart the game and remember to turn off my music BEFORE i started playing :(

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  4. rashal

rashal Guest

GPU:
    CF gigabyte 5870 1Gb
    Oh wait changed the CPU temp monitoring program, and my temps are reaching around 100 before the thermal managing kicks in the lowers the clocks... Time to buy a new cooler.

5. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Ahh wow ouchies. Maybe just a reseat or even a shot of compressed air into the HS get all the dust out.