7870ghz edition or 660ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by J.B.west, Mar 15, 2013.

1. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    ..J.B West.... plz have a look on the web for reviews on titan against 7870ed.....

2. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I think he's saying spend a butt load of money that hardly anyone had to spend on a graphics card and that's a solution........

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Considering his listed location I wouldn't be overly shocked.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    BABA are you from eastern europe? hint hint

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Serbia?

6. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti
    Thanks for the many replies fellas,

I have a samsung 27" LED monitor that does 1920x1080. Now I already have a 660ti but it died due to some liquid getting spilled on it :cry: (wasnt me)

And I do not want anything less than a 660ti...its either another 660ti or a 7870, Im just looking at the better option, and I do want to save some $.

Im still undecided....maybe you guys can help,
    I mostly play BF3 and Crysis, and Im looking forward to getting BF4.

7. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
  8. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  9. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah Lowki is just about right.. if the 7950 fits in your budget then get it. Otherwise, if anything.. if you're getting a 7870 then get the XT version.. as it's the best of them all and OCs like crazy like any other 7900 series card.

As TK said, it will be the best bang for the buck.

Otherwise.. if you want to go for nvidia then go for nvidia. But I don't really see the 660Ti being worth anything, or having any worth.

You'll get more out of a 7870XT (with a good price) or a 7950.

And lmao the Xylanthia thing and money jokes.. :D I lol'ed. Funny stuff going on in this topic. XD

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    But the 660TI is made by Nvidia, why wouldn't you get one? /joke

The 7950 is truly the best value right now and will be for probably the next year.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    OP, can you link the shop you're buying from pls? easier to help you decide if you do. Also, what is the absolute maximum you're willing to spend?

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Agreed.

It's rare a card priced (for most) in the mid range can OC to match top tier GPU's. I can only think of a handful of times in over a decade of building gaming PC's that such a thing has been common place. Then you have the game bundles added ontop. If people can but the bias aside (Should they have any to begin with) they'll find a fantastic card that will play any modern game extremely well.

I don't mind spending a little extra for my kit when it's worth it. I do tend to go for the best value I can within my options however, for example I could have bought a 670 or 7970 - and deliberated upon doing such for quite a long time. When all came to all I ended up getting two 7950's over time for fairly cheap prior to the Never Settle bundles. I honestly would not look back, and feel confident that I'll be gaming quite happily for the next two years at least.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    if amd made the 660ti I bet your tune would change

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Agreed. The never settle bundle is excellent on AMD's part. Nvidia's isn't quite as lucrative. And for gosh sakes, Nvidia just refuses to move prices down, ever. They just don't do it. It's like Intel. I guess it doesn't really matter to me (just look at my spec list, lawl), but it sure as hell matters to a lot of people. It's just another reason the 7950 is a runaway hit right now.

15. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Ouch TK^

He's not that anti-nvidia, in fact I'd say he's quite mild compared to some of the fanbases on the forum. I'm pretty sure Death was looking at a Nvidia solution himself not so long ago, so that might be a little harsh.

In respect to the 660 series, I mostly agree with him. Unless you mostly play extremely Nvidia biased titles or simply refuse to OC your hardware you're doing yourself a diservice in buying one over simularly priced AMD solutions. Now if you can get a good price on a 670, it's a different story. The mid to low end Nvidia cards are just badly priced IMO.

Pretty much spot on. The 7950 deserves to be a hit, and I'm glad AMD are getting some joy of late compared to the past couple of years. They've got the Console deal going down, their graphics cards are selling pretty damn well - and they've finally got processors out worth buying. I'm hoping it's indicative of an upward trend, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    the 660ti is a great little card for resolutions up to 1080p (at a push). problem is it's pricing. it goes up against the hd 7950 (in the UK anyway) and in that fight there's only going to be one winner. Not to mention the games that come bundled with the hd 7950. I paid £250 for mine, it has a great cooler and it came with the following games:

* Crysis 3
    * Bioshock: Infinite
    * Hitman: Absolution
    * Far Cry 3
    * Sleeping dogs

Now I'm not being funny, but I could stick those 5 codes in a bundle on ebay for £100 and it would sell within a couple of hours. That's £150 for a hd 7950. I did keep the games, only sold Crysis 3 and Sleeping Dogs (had them already) so my hd 7950 only cost me £200 and I still got 3 games. I love you TK, but you have to see common sense here.

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yes, they are. And Nvidia just doesn't seem to respond to what AMD is doing. They decide their product's value, and that's that. Makes little sense to me.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    it's probably because if they dropped to the same price as AMD, AMD would undercut them again so they would have to drop again to maintain value/money.

19. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm not convinced that's the case, Nvidia could afford to play that game far more than AMD at the moment. I'm wondering if there's another reason they're not doing it, but that's something I suspect we'll never know. Nvidia has a very.. to be blunt 'anal' fanbase. That's not to say AMD doesn't have it's share, but I find most AMD users are willing to use both sides of the fence should the price / performance ratio be there.

Nvidia know that they'll sell no matter how they price a product. Titan is proof of that, and people claming it's a "special card" are forgetting the history of the industry as far as I'm concerned. Titan is a mixture of marketing and a 'because we can' approach. Take a look back when ATI released the 9700, a lot of people make the mistake of thinking it was designed to go up against the 5800/5900 series from Nvidia. In reality it went up against the Geforce 4 Ti's, and absolutely dominated them. Nvidia didn't catch up until after the 5900 series. While the 9700 was more expensive, it offered good price-performance value. I can name multiple times over the years where such has happened, and not just from ATI but Nvidia also. It's all about your place in consumer image.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I dont think amd can lower their prices any more, they probably have a low profit margain as it is now. the 7970 was $549 and 7950 was $449 at launch