How will Quad core fair when 8 core Consoles are out?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by HonoredShadow, May 5, 2013.

1. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Yes, dual core and hyper threaded to 4 so its making it work even more since it had to simulate 2 extra threads, thus maxing em 2 cores.
    Console emulators can take advantage of more than 2 cores/threads now.

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Sort of funny really. Some of the emulation software we're running looks better and performs better than some of the ports we get.

3. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Current consoles already have 6 cores, and I suspect that the new consoles will reserve one core for the OS. So I really don't see any change coming on the PC front.

4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    just what i was about to say,we want console ports to perform well, and are well optimized i've had enough of half assed ports coming to pc!!!!example:sleeping dogs, need for speed most wanted etc....

5. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    You are very wrong there sir.

PS: Are those you PC specs?

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Boo ya!!:banana:

7. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    youre expecting to run Sleeping Dogs with eye candy, with those specs?
    :butt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGIo8oaMHfY

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Not so concerned about CPUs, but my GPU will be outdated if games are optimized for PS4 level graphiccards.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Sleeping dogs is an excellent PC port; the developers even added a high resolution texture pack for free. Try playing it again when you have a real computer that can actually play games.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yeah I really enjoyed sleeping dogs.
    Was a real sleeper for me :p, had no idea it was coming out.
    It pushed my GTX580 pretty hard.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I doubt that they will use all 8 cores for gaming. Even with the the quad-cores and beyond we are not even maxing out all of the cores with gaming. In PC gaming we probably use 2 cores max and some times more depending on the game. The only people who max out their quad-core machines is with visualization/Virtual PCs. I doubt that they will make games that will utilize all 8 cores. There are very few PC games that utilize 4 cores or more. I think PCs are fine.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Crysis 3 and BF3 can use 8 cores. There will be more games in the future that load all cores.

Hardware is advancing but the software has not kept up...

13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I could be wrong, but whats funny is that mobile hardware/software seems to be better at balancing this better than the pc.

The only thing the pc seems to have a lead in is video converting, wonder how long till theres some app that allows you to convert while on the go.

14. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Curious as to why people even buy a console nowdays. Yes many years ago pc's costed a lot more money. Today you can make a pc more powerful than a console for less money. Not only can the pc play better games but can also do many other tasks in business. If someone was to give me a new ps4 or xbox 720 I would just sell it; or if I could not do so just throw the console in the trash can.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah...
    And on that note why is it that video conversion software can quite happily be written to take advantage of 8 cores, but most games aren't?

Are consoles to blame?

Last edited: May 7, 2013

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Naa, video conversion can be split into chunks that run on as many cores as you have.
    Its very easy to max all available cores.

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Because. Consider all the programming and routines that go into a game. Trying to split them and run them in parallel with nothing getting out of sync can be quite challenging. With video conversion it's pretty simple.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Agree,

For example in Bf3 TDM 32player+ i can see 90-95% per core (Yorkfield),.. It depends on the gpu too if its to strong it will crawl the cpu, like by me in heavy multi threaded games, even in Crysis2
    Well I see a lot of core activity in any game since 2009+, any U3E benefits from a quad just like new Glacier2 engine (Hitman Absolution, Tombraider 2013), even JustCause2, Sleeping Dogs, etc.

2cores is not a option for a loooong looong time, those who still think 2 cores is enough need to wake up. :p

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    dqdsdd

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Maybe threads don't need to be executed simultaneously like with games.... Sounds logical I guess.

Seems the industry got itself into a bind since half of computer software uses parallel processing and the other half doesn't.

You'd think all the engineers and devs would've gotten together back in early 2000's and decided the future was either multi core/thread or single core/thread processing.
    10yrs later all CPU's are multi core but only half the software takes advantage of it, so howcome we don't see 10Ghz single core processors as well?

These are rhetorical questions btw. :p