HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    And i just sold my 7850, another episode with an AMD card not to come...:)

Next, selling the 7770 1GB...

2. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Wonder how much money you got for the 7850. I dont sell mine because it's like throwing money out of the window. I'd have to get a nvidia then which would cost me even more. I expect getting smth like 130€ (i payed 200 for it) for the 7850 and paying around 250 for a new nvidia that'S just to expansive for me.

3. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 3GB DDR5
    This is a drivers problem.

It has nothing to do with OC or undervoltaging or anything.

Wait for new drivers. It happened to me with LoL and with the new drivers everything went better.

4. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    owning both nvidia and amd, I find it funny the people who think nvidia has no driver or hardware issues.......at least none of my amd cards have had VRM's that blew due to factory overclocks pushing the card to far.....or worse at least i have never had an amd/ati driver that caused my card to melt down because it turned off the fan(lost a gtx280 to that....)

I have dual 6870's and dual 7870's and rarely have any issues that I cant work out myself with radeon pro.....the rare problems I do have are as often problems with the game itself as they are driver issues......

I dont play skyrim(tho i was given it as a gift) so i duno how it runs currently....but other titles people complain about I have had little to no issues with.

the title I have noticed the most issues with lately is bf:bc2, and thats an issue with the game itself that effects both my nvidia and amd cards.

and i got no idea why people insist that ps2 dosnt work with xf, works fine with a radeon pro profile, same with firefall(firefall needs to be run with supertile mode not afr)

but hey, if you wana sell your amd cards for a loss and move to nvidia with the impression you wont have any driver or hardware related issues, have at it, just gives somebody else a great buy on a good card :)

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    13.2_beta (unofficial), nice to see AMD is going back to old good CP (Control Panel) design. I missed it a lot.

I do not have any issues in Skyrim for really long time since I used Frame CAP at 60fps.

As for GW2, Game is smooth as butter, but yes it flickers considerably.

I have no big issues around I could not solve. But on other hand 120Hz LCD is much more VSync friendly than 60Hz.

-I like how many people complain while running their cards far away from specs which are 925/1375MHz for HD7970.
    -I was one of 1st people who got his hands on card knowing performance at that time. (And I was more than willing to pay asked price.)
    -I knew as everyone that there will be issues with new architecture which will have to be sorted over time.

Considering how big performance boost I got from drivers and then another from OC, reference HD7970 was and still is best card on market since 1st day it got there, challenged only by HD7950.

6. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx

not so true, i also own cards from both. But AMD has more issues related to screen corruptions. Especially if you play Non-Mainstreamgames there are more problems with AMD.

7. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    most of the games I play are far from mainstream.

korean style mmo's, indie shooters(and other indie games), very little of what i play on a regular basis is "main stream"

on the other hand, I know some people do have bugs, AND I also know some people will overlook bugs in nvidia cards because they will just blame other factors.

Nvidia to this day has a problem that comes and goes with yv12 color spacing in videos, driver to driver this bugs come and gone since the 7000 series days, it bothers me, I loved my 8800gts 512mb, but this is one thing that drove me nuts, and they still havent consistantly kept it fixed, so much so that many decoders see nvidia and just silently disable yv12 color space to avoid the possible issues......

amd and nvidia both have their driver issues, for some one issue will be far more annoying then another, for me the video decoding issues got REALLY old, as I tend to watch videos as I game or as I do other things. (yes i can run a video on 1 screen and game on the other without problems....)

the only game lately i have seen issues in is bc2 and, again that happens on both amd and nvidia and has since the game came out, dosnt happen to everybody but, its got known bugs that EA didnt want Dice to bother patching, because they wanted bf3 to come out so they could make more money....(just like bf3 will endup getting abandoned once they start work on bf4)

I dont hate nvidia, I dont like how they act at times, but thats also true for amd's radeon team.....but in my exp, at least I have less issues that drive me batty with amd then nvidia in the last few years.

and again, at least AMD/ATI never put out a driver that ended up costing me a videocard worth 300+bucks.....yes i was a pit pissed off......i mean, driver fully disabling the fan......how the hell does that get past basic QC?

8. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    After the "fix" for the "cloud corruption" ( as AMD called it ), I noticed the flickering became a little more familiar.

I mean, we were seeing white flashing and now it's the more familiar black lines/flickering/flashing. Did you notice this?

13.2 is the last last hope. I mean, it becomes apparent they're trying to "tweak" the issue, as if there's no solid fix.

9. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

if what you say is true , and you know all that probleme on ati card .... why you have buy ati card then ?

10. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    C'mon pal... You can do better than that. This problem exist only on 7000 series cards. None knew before... And it's been confirmed and widely known relatively late. And even so, none could know that months afterwards, the problem would be here.

Now, would you go out to purchase an other 7000 series card? Would you recommend it to a friend? If you ask me, the answer is: I don't think so... And if 13.2 won't introduce a solid fix, I don't see this card staying on my PC.

These are somewhat better questions you could ask him.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

11. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Because i buy performance and how could i know that before? Im not a fanboy and im gooing to buy AMD another time if it beats NV again. But hands down, at this point the drivers suck at least for the game i play.

Btw ATI doesn't exist anymore.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  12. Epic0098

Epic0098 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III
    Just want to confirm that I still have flashing and artifacts in Skyrim using 13.1 and 13.2 unofficial beta. I think we'll just have to wait for the memory re-write...

13. Sepultor

Sepultor Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 Ghz Edition
    i Have artifacts and flickering in farcry 3.

14. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    no artefacts and flicker for me in fc3, from what i read you need to vsync or dynamic vsync to get rid of/minimize skyrim issues, skyrim is far from a flawless game, its full of bugs, typical of Bethesda, they have yet to release a game thats not been buggy as hell when it came out, and that didnt need alot of patching from both Bethesda and driver makers to work around problems.

not saying its not and AMD problem this time but, Bethesda is known far and wide for their bugs and lack of proper pre-release testing.

15. faptastic

faptastic Guest

GPU:
    PCS+ 7870 Myst@1235/6400
    Random artifacts in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

16. acereborn

acereborn Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    I have now seen some flicker in Skyrim, and other flicker games, with 13.1 :(

17. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    How the hell is this not fixed yet?

People have been up in arms about some frame latency issue that I've seen in one game but this somehow seems to get no attention. This is an issue that I've seen far more often.

I know that I see some flickering in Fallout New Vegas.

Thats true, if you have a problem with non-mainstream game don't expect amd to ever fix it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  18. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Frame latency can affect many games, for over long periods of time. This texture thing is just a flash of corruption that happens for a split second (if I'm understanding it right anyway), to which some people have even claimed not to notice unless they are looking for it specifically.

I really don't know too much about this though, but maybe the memory management rewrite AMD has spoken of should fix this?

19. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    To be honest i doubt that it will ever get fixed. I start to believe that AMD is "done" with that issue since they provided their pseuodufix in 12.11. They always claim we're just a minority but how comes i saw it happen on 4 different cards on 2 Systems? Maybe their Devs are just blind or only see ever 20th frame?
    Then there are people who claim that they don't have it and if you ask some more they hardly play any DX9 games. It's a fight against Windmills.

I never expected AMD to be so resistent against reactions. I mean just check some forums in nearly every forum you'll read posts and threads from people with simelar issues(i could link you at least 3 threads in german forums right now without beeing there to often). Some just don't know that this is called the DX9 issue and think it's a buggy game. Im really pissed about this kind of managmentpolitics. They provide fixes for all kind of trash and always claim that that doesn't mean they lose focus on other problems. I doubt that.

I always was smth like an AMD Fanboy (although i mostly buy performance) but after this expierience im done with them. I just hope they will go bankrupt for this kind of ****. But i think it won't take to long till they are bankrupt anyway. And im gooing to help by telling everybody my expierience :D.

20. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    Its like the desktop flicker issue. I sent in a card for an RMA over it. I also have three other cards now. Every one of them has that issue. Thats in two different systems. I highly doubt that these two issues are as uncommon as AMD will lead us to believe.

I'm not as mad about it since I had a really bad experience with Kepler drivers. I may see some flickering in Fallout New Vegas now but it was unplayable with my 670s. There were a few other games like that.

That said if this stuff isn't fixed by the time that GK110 is released I'll be sure to jump ship. I had a great experience with fermi.

There is a work around for the frame latency issues. If you set a framerate cap which I like to do anyways its a non-issue.

Seeing flashing black or white artifacts on screen every once in while is really immersion breaking.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013