Upgrading From GTX 560 ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bsummmit, Jan 7, 2014.

1. bsummmit

bsummmit Guest

GPU:
    560ti
    Just ordered a 144 hz g-sync monitor. Looking to upgrade from my 560ti to help drive current and next gen games without breaking the bank.

I only game on a single monitor, but it will be a g-sync monitor.

Current Setup:
    850w PSU
    i7 3960X
    32GB ddr3 1866MHz
    120gb hyper x ssd

I just got the ram and SSD. The price point of the 760 is attractive. My fear is that if I buy a 760 as soon as next gen games come out or even current gen games I won't be able to run them at 1080p with a nice frame rate. Just don't want to spend 250 on a graphics card that I'm going to have to replace in a few months, so i'm hoping to find a somewhat future proof solution at the best price point. I realize that the other specs on my pc will help with this, but I wanted to get some input on here.

Was reading around in this forum and saw people talking about 2gb vs 4gb vram also. So it would be nice to get some thoughts on that in the response as well.

I'm also considering pushing video from my desktop into my living room for gaming in there, not sure if that changes anything in this discussion. All advice and viewpoints are appreciated.

2. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Guest

GPU:
    /
    That is a killer gaming setup, why would you get GTX 760 over 780/780Ti?

3. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Yeah I think it's cause he wanted to spend less, but in reality I had a 560ti and it was great! Till games liked crisis 2 came out lol I upgraded to the rig I have now with a 770 2gb gaming on a 1080p out definitely played everything on ultra with a slight exception here or there.

I went with 780 purely because the price went down and I record gameplay and that I wanted it.

The 770s are down in price now in the mid 300$ range and u have the psu to sli in the future. The 780 is at 500$ and yes it is better and might b fine with the future games, u also have to account for bad porting and bad program areas in games thats not the vid cards fault.

I leaned alot on the forums and from what I heard a better video card will always give u more than a processor for games unless you're processor bottle necks the card in question.

4. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    Yeah, maybe get a Nvidia GTX 780 while you're at it.

Because I believe you'll get more Power out of this card, if you really want to push the limits.

But if you think your Nvidia GTX 560TI still can handle the games you play,

maybe wait for the Maxwell cards that are coming out.

5. bsummmit

bsummmit Guest

GPU:
    560ti
    Thanks for getting back to me. As you can see from the other components in my rig, I've already spent too much. I recently vent from 8 to 32 gigs of ram from a deal i couldn't refuse and just put the ssd drive in. I bought a refurb alienware from dell outlet with a 40% coupon code or I wouldn't have the i7 extreme (i'm a coupon code ninja :banana:)

Anyway, the 560ti has been good to me. I spend most of my hours in CS:GO which this setup crushes as expected. I have bf4 which is glitchy on its own, but my 560ti doesn't help anything there. I ditched consoles for this rig and plan on playing the same games I enjoyed on console with this rig (fifa, racing sims, fps).

I found that zodac 780 amp which tops the titan in most benchmarks i found for under 500, but my other half will legit kill me if I spend that much. 770's seemed more like my pricepoint, but on the lower end like the msi 770 2gb.

I haven't heard anything about maxwell GPU's. When are those expected?

6. bsummmit

bsummmit Guest

GPU:
    560ti
    Also, whats not to say this 800 series won't be slightly improved re branded kepler ?

7. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    I understand, the Nvidia GTX 770 is a great card too, so you don't have to be worried for any reason that it can't handle the newest games, if you are willing to buy this card.

Maxwell is a new/totally different architecture then the kepler ones (7xx series), which means it will be a new branded card.

So no, believe me, it likely are not rebadged cards of the Nvidia GTX 7xx series.

Look at this article:

http://www.e t e k n i x .com/nvidias-maxwell-gtx-800-confirmed-for-q1-of-2014/

(The link was getting blocked, so I needed to edit it.)

So it likely will come out in February/March, so it's not that long anymore.

(This article is from 5 months ago, so it's not really new news.)

Also look at this picture:

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/7515/GPURoadmap.jpg

These are the architectures from 2008 - 2014 and the architecture that is coming next after Kepler and Maxwell;

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  8. bsummmit

bsummmit Guest

GPU:
    560ti
    Glad to hear we aren't dealing with another re-brand. I'm interested to see some benchmarks. I hate having to be frugal, I'd much rather pick up a 780 right now and be good or a while, but 500 is steep. Do you think i'd get any gains from picking up another 560ti on the cheap or is that a waste because i'm using one monitor?

9. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    What is the absolute MAX price you are willing to pay ? It all comes down to YOUR price-point.

10. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    I'm interested in some benchmarks too. :p

Nah, you won't get any good gains from picking-up another one.

Look at this topic:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/361770-33-worth-560ti

Here is a little bit of proof why it won't work out that well.

The best thing you can do now I believe is this:

1. Get the Nvidia GTX 770 card that you wanted, it's a really good card and I believe it's not that slower then a Nvidia GTX 780.

Here are some benchmarks to see if it really is a difference:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-780-vs-GeForce-GTX-770

As you can see, the results are not THAT different.

The Nvidia GTX 780 is ahead by 20-40% but that's normal.

(This might be alot, but you don't need to be worried that it lacks the power to suit your needs.)

2. Wait for Maxwell and see the results to know what card you want of the next generation of cards.

11. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    20%-40% is a significant difference. Lets establish his price-point before making recommendations.

12. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    I know, I wanted to make a post to confirm your post.

I can always change my recommendation if needed.

Also maybe, I believe you can find cheaper price cards for the Nvidia GTX 780?

EDIT: Argh, perhaps you won't..

13. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    770 4gb would b better and better for sli but I had a 2gb very good card my friend that I sold it too is gonna pair two of them together.

If u do go with the 770 u should be happy if anything u can sell it later and save for a Maxwell :).

14. bsummmit

bsummmit Guest

GPU:
    560ti
    300 is what I wanted to keep it to, but for recommendations lets call it 330.
    I'd love to see what you guys think if I get hot and bothered and end up jumping right now.

15. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    330 you got alil bit of options I had the gigabyte 2gb 770 I recommend it but it doesn't clock good on core. And u got Zotac =/ lol it's up to you I'd get 770 if I were u.

Just weigh the pros and cons and see where u get almost all the after market coolers are good I still think after trying the acx which is really good the gigabyte wind force cooler is great I never heard a thing and it was super cool all the time.

16. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    At hat price point the GTX770 is a solid choice, if you can get a 4GB version for a buck or two more, take it. The GTX770 is by no means a slouch,i had one before upgrading to my GTX780 ti. If you are willing however to spend $500 then the GTX780 is my recommendation. There are obviously also AMD alternatives at similar prices & performance levels, but since you posted in the Nvidia section i'm assuming your not interested in those.

The 760 is also a good choice, however, if you are willing to spend $300-$330 then i'd say go for the 770.

17. bsummmit

bsummmit Guest

GPU:
    560ti
    Maxwell only a couple months away is sounding the best right now, but if there's any deal from now til then....oh boy . i really can't find much about maxwell online right now. maybe ces will shine some light on it.

18. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    If you can hold-out till then, to see what Nvidia brings to the table, then go for it.

19. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Yeah definitely if they don't push it back though lol nvidia does that sometimes to squeeze the rest out of the old generation.

It's up to u though 770 is good but is old generation tech 780 had new architecture but Maxwell seems to be better anyways we'll see if Maxwell is 40% better than my 780 if so I'm selling and getting Maxwell lol.

20. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    Yeah it all depends on it.

Can't really tell it will come out in that month, because they can always hold it.

Although we could see the cards/new architecture on the Q1 2014 Event I've read.