Software industry leaders urge the general population to take up programming

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by deltatux, Feb 27, 2013.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I had mandatory typing classes in school, and I barely learned anything at the time because I didn't care. I wasn't the only one, either. I eventually became a really good typist just by practice since I got into computers as a hobby. I went from like 30wpm to over 100, lol.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I almost got expelled for bypassing the security software on the school computers....after the school's computer "tech" wiped out our web/data server...

My high school had mandatory typing classes, depending on which program you were in....

The problem with the programming classes though, was the restrictions placed on the classes by the school board.

3. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    FYI.
    I think you'll find that large defense contractors do the same.
    In case anyone wants to work on jets/ships/etc, somewhat fun hands-on stuff.
    I guess the bright side is that they try their hardest to make projects drag out...
    Gotta love that 2 month turn-around on 5 minutes of work. (eyeroll). Bureaucracy and oversight go hand-in-hand. 2 peas in a pod.

-scheherazade

4. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I'd be happy if kids came out of HS with decent typing skills and basic knowledge of how to use Microsoft Office. Sadly, many college graduates are incompetent with the most basic software that they will have to use for almost any entry level job. Those minor (yet integral) items need to be fixed before the general public should even think about programming.

*also programming is literally mind numbing for most people, so I don't see this idea ever becoming popular with more than a few % of the population.

5. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    You dont need to be good with computers to learn basics of coding. My sister is on some programming course on uni and doing quite fine (and he is just the average PC user who doesnt know much about anything), took it as I recommended it and some of her friend also did recommend it.

Anyways, some basic of coding would not hurt anyone, sure there are other things also which would not hurt some people to know. Girls especially do think coding is something only nerds would do, if they actually took just one course on some school, perhaps they would like it end up studying it as it's quite fun.

6. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Meh. I let Tat3 do the work for me.

7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Lol a friend of mine did something in cmd on my school computer, and everyone in my school got some type of network message?

I almost got kicked off school tho wich wasn't funny. :D

8. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    You can teach someone to program, but that doesn't make them a programmer. I am nearly finished my 3rd year BSc Computing course and will graduate and even I still don't know if I would like it to be my main job. I just don't have the mindset to do it. I like the techy admin hands on stuff rather than sitting there looking at page after page of C#.

Saying that, I don't mind PHP and PHP Frameworks.

9. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    PHP is probably one of the only languages I enjoy programming in, I've even built my own lightweight framework in it. Another favourite of mine is processing which is used by generative artists.

There is definitely a programming mindset, the ability to break down a problem into to smaller problems and repeat that for those smaller problems, to think through a sequence logically, mentally parsing code.

10. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Programming is like learning a new language. My course at uni was mainly based around C and i hated it! C++ was much better, seems that i prefer Object Oriented programming. I am working on Android app at the moment. Love it! I didnt take any courses, just bought a book, downloaded Eclipse/SDK and i was off :)

Had to do write some REST services in PHP the other day and have to admit PHP is pretty good language too, but i have never done anything in it before the other day.

And yes there are loads of jobs in it. I keep getting emails and phone calls pretty much everyday. But ive been employed for the last 7 months.

11. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    The "general population" that I see on a daily basis probably couldn't handle coding.

Okay, I'm being a dick, but still, it's probably too much "thinking" for most people. On that note, I hope people don't pick it up so there are more job opportunities for me and more money to be made.

12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    one should get a grip of the reality
    general population taking programming classes?
    hate to say it loud,but general population gives us that terrible headache when fixing computers,general population have PEBKAC syndrome.
    hate me,but it is the truth.
    nobody wants to learn anymore,people just want to pay for something and other do the job and when sh!t hits the fan,well someone is to blame,right?

13. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    That's true, anticupidon, and why I prefer to maintain my own rig.
    If ( and when ) anything goes wrong with it, I have a fair idea of where to start looking.
    Anything can, and sometimes does, happen to your rig if you entrust it to some repair wallah. ;)

14. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Had a conversation about this subject today and we came to conclusion that many would really benefit from knowing a bit coding. Mostly all kinds of engineers who need to use some kind of applications to calculate something, should benefit there if you need to do some a bit complex stuff (scripts?). Also those who need to use macros on spreadsheet applicaitons (as in those who use spreadsheet) would also benefit from knowing something about how to make those and get a bit more out from it.

If you dont need to use computers at all on your work, then perhaps would not really benefit you, but those who need PC's might actually get something out from a bit coding.

15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    maybe the ideea is to present coding as something looking good on your resume,and it is.
    some might need more coding skills,myself included.
    but general population have acces to all that tehnology,but newsflash!
    Nobody actually reads the manuals supplied in those boxes,everyone starts right away to use it and call deskhelp to fix their problems.
    RTFM !

16. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    ^This I could see, and would honestly expect. Otherwise, most people are too derp as I said (more kindly) before.

17. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I learned how to program computers when I got my first computer - a TRS-80 Model 1 in 1978. I lost interest when Microsoft "forced" people to use Windows operating systems. I couldn't create a 3D game. Now, I'm programming microcontrollers in robots.

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Sorry i just couldn't help myself.
    It took me almost a full day to wrap my head around 'IF THEN'and 'WHILE' routine in Pascal,and i spent that day in the public library,with a book about Pascal
    Why i am saying this?
    Nowadays with Google and Youtube anyone can be a coder in less than five minutes.
    Welll take those tools from them ,you won't see them rushing to library to dig some books about they need to know,they either will quit or pay another guy to do the job.

19. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Becoming a programmer by watching youtube vids? Please :p
    I've been recruiting junior programmers for few months now. They have to do a live coding task, just implementing one interface that shuffles numbers around and make tests for it (preferably before implementing the interface).

Most of the recruit candidates are just sad, they struggle with the task for an hour and then barely finish it. These are people who have gone to college/university. Out of perhaps 15 candidates only two were good enough for me to consider hiring them.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  20. ibitato

ibitato Guest

I consider myself really lucky

I had the means to learn computer stuff when I was really young.

I think I was 10 or so, when I started programming
    at school using an AppleIIC and LOGO language.

Then I moved to Integer BASIC, started to learn Apple DOS as well.

At home , my father got an Epson QX-10 with CPM/80 Operating System
    and dBASE II database.

So i stared hetting the hang of CPM/80, BASIC, and dBASE II prog. lang.

Also, I got hands on a Commodoer Vic 20, and programmed on that platform as well.

I was really young and was amazed by that time, and all I wanted was
    to understand how computers work and to make them do what I wanted
    them to do.

SO my first real software, was a Contacts Application I developed for
    my father using dBASEII on the CPM/80

Still today, I feel the same urge to do so, and has kept me going on and on

So education is needed because it opens up that world faster that if you
    do it by your means.

Back in those days, all I could think of was to get my hand on everyting I
    could about compters and programming

nowadays,its much more easier, to access te information, thus
    to educate yourself on programming