Windows 8 #2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by hallryu, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Apparently your vocabulary corresponds "instantaneously" to 3 months, time of which win8 was beying priced depending on the circumstances for just 15€ in some circumastances or 30-40€ normally. It is also fair to note that christmas and new year have been celebrated at that timespan and yet people yawned at win8, which i find it strange that the general population could see past that junk cartoonish eyecandy and think objectively about it as a product.
    Lets see how many windows 8 copies microsoft will sell now that the product is back to its full price!

You have a very nice screenshot there, you forgot that your screenshot doesnt include the windows icon so everyone can notice how similar win8 is in that regard, even though youve attempted it you should have placed that window y2 boundaries a little higher because your windows phone 8 OS awsomeness is chomping on your taskbar, yep, im pretty sure anyone which will see his app on windowed fullscreen obbliterating the taskbar or any normal window doing the same will surely say this is the exact experience of all previous windows versions! And definetly the fullscreen startscreen corresponds absolutely 100% to windows 7 startmenu, in every single aspect, for starters i always remembered those good old days where you would scroll with your wheel vertically to go sideways, alt clicking an icon from startmenu just so i would have to move my mouse pointer all the way down to that sluggish oversized alt menu, those good old days where you would have every single folder expanded on all programs occupying your entire screen with oversized icons, that animated start menu enter, start menu exit, startmenu scrolling which all 3 of these animations add so much to productivity, oh and that good old search where you had to type what you wanted to search and then select the category of what you wanted to search!
    How could i forget such "features" from previous windows, i mustve been blind all this time! Oh wait, i "accidentally" mixed all other previous windows versions with windows 8, you see they are so similar, only now i noticed i was talking about windows 8!

Sarcasm aside, your post stinks of desperation as much as microsoft stank when blaming oems for not buying into their Tiles8 propaganda.

Also you say you are bored of reading my replies, yet you read them and reply to them even when im clearly not talking to you at all, its very confusing for a person to be tired of reading someones posts but still read them and reply to them as if they were directed to that specific person when they clearly werent.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I'm sorry, but after the first line, your rant confused the f*ck out of me. For one, i'm pretty sure the vast majority of people who end up using a new version of Windows end up doing so when they purchase a new computer more than saying "Hey, why don't i buy this copy of Windows and install it myself?"

And i'm not 100% sure... but i'm thinking you're trying to say that I couldn't put that instance of Chrome anywhere i damn well please to, and that there is somewhere i could put it on Windows 7 that i somehow can't on Windows 8? Hell... you tell me what you want to see me do with a window, or multiple windows.... hell, i'll even take requests for something you want to see me do with windows/apps on both my 27" monitor as well as my 46" TV that i have connected as the secondary screen sitting to my left. You seem to be under the impression that if i expanded the window to full screen, that i'd somehow lose my taskbar and my ability to easily switch between the other windows i have open by simply clicking on the icon on the taskbar as you usually did in previous versions of Windows.... which, if that's the miserable excuse of a point you're trying to get across, then I can honestly say, with my hand on my heart.... USE THE OS before you try to pick it to pieces.

The ONLY VISUAL change in the OS is the start screen instead of the classic start menu. If you rarely ever used the start menu because you were like most normal people and had shortcuts on your desktop to your most frequently used programs, you are probably also the type of person who honestly wouldn't even notice that there is anything that's changed about the OS.

3. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Yeah were all with you random angered forum poster!
    Keep believing that is the only change and maybe if you believe hard enough in the lolipop land and pink unicorns it will come true, maybe.

4. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I'm not angry. I'm just wondering how someone can make sarcastic claims about an OS that they "Haven't used ever since i bought it"..... and honestly doesn't seem to have EVER used it with what you're trying to say.

5. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    What "im trying to say" by that you mean your definition of what im trying to say?

This new might shock you, but i do not have to like windows 8 to objectively point at its flawed interface, unlike you, i do not fall in love with a product and love it for the rest of my life because i own it, fanboys do, i dont, i know its hard for you to believe in this but this is how life works.

I have tried it i have pointed how absurd it is, you didnt like it that i have pointed those ui flaws and started swearing and reply with agressive messages because of that. It is certainly not my problem that you dont like people pointing flaws at a product that you own, its yours and you should process that yourself, alone.

Come back later and reply with a constructive message instead of random swearing, even though i was sarcastic, i pointed out why windows 8 "desktop" interface is definetly not equal or close to beying equal to previous windows versions.

I dont have to use win8 for 10 years to realise that, even though i have used it for a couple of times, anyone can realise that windows 8 interface is nothing like windows 7 or previous windows just by looking at your screenshot.

6. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    And like i said in my previous post before you went all psychotic rant-y...... give me a scenario that you feel cannot be done on the, as you call it, Windows 8 "Desktop" interface, and i'll replicate it. Unless the only thing you can think of is the OH SO ABSURD idea of having a search feature that separates what you're looking for into categories instead of one long list to sort through.

I didn't "Fall in love" with Windows 8 because i own it. I found out i like it after USING it. Key word there, that you obviously ignored. And something that you obviously didn't do. Your entire rant is about the "Metro" UI. You've YET to point out something that cannot be done on what you seem to think is a dumbed down desktop interface..... which only further leads me to believe that you installed the consumer preview once, played with Metro for a couple minutes and found out you didn't like it, went into the Desktop and realized the classic start menu wasn't there, and probed no further into the OS, coming to the delusional conclusion that they put an OS from a phone onto a desktop.

So..... as i said..... provide me with a scenario that you seem to believe is impossible to do on the desktop as you normally would in your beloved Windows 7, and i'll prove you wrong.

7. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    The whole UI speaks for itself about how "delusional" i am about that.

As for providing a scenario where windows 8 cant do something that windows 7 can, i dont actually think ive ever said that.
    What i did say was, on a desktop, the productivity is decreased by using windows 8 in comparison to windows 7, i specified many times that, and many times i have specified why objectively.

8. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Which.... i find funny, cause the entire point of my screenshot was to disregard your suddenly becoming cliche "Windows Phone 8 Interface" comment. And really? "Anyone" can realize that the interface is nothing like previous versions of windows by that screenshot? You can tell all that by the fact that the start button isn't there? Damn...... you must be god or something..... either that, or i just didn't realize that Windows 7 and earlier could like... read your mind... and set off fireworks to match what's on screen or something.... i dunno.

I'm sure i could find more... but judging by the fact that those two were comments you made in your previous post, i'd be quoting a lot.

I'm the one who's been telling YOU to provide ME with scenario's where Window's 8 can't do something that Windows 7 can (aside from the negligible Search feature). The simple fact that you've come to the conclusion that somehow productivity is decreased simply because the Start menu is different is enough for anyone to realize you've hardly taken any time at all with the OS, aside from the 5 or so minutes i previously mentioned.

I don't recall ever reading a single post from you specifying why you find productivity to be decreased in W8... again, aside from Search. Hell, look at the first page of this new thread. People who've decided to start using Windows 8, and who've found that all the complaints are just BS.

Again... The only differences between Windows 7 and Windows 8 is the Start Screen, and slightly better performance. The desktop interface (aside from the lack of a Start button) has not changed in the least. Hence, delusional to say that it's somehow lackluster in comparison.

I'm not saying "I like it, so you should like it, too, damnit". I honestly couldn't care less if you liked it or not. But making accusations about something that you seem to have no working knowledge about with the OS is annoying as hell.

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Windows 8 really isn't as bad as people might have you believe. I personally took a dislike to it based on the reviews from other people on this site, and elsewhere. I felt it was a good time to upgrade, as the price was very attractive.

Runs super smooth. Less problems with ATI control panel than with Windows 7. GPU is showing 0% usage as Aero isn't battering it. What I am trying to say is, you need to try it for yourself.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Windows 8 is a good OS.. I can't believe your still arguing in the new thread about the same exact thing.

Yes the start menu is different, please don't continue now with the same argument.

11. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I'd prefer if it didn't go to that point, either, and was revolving more around the people who actually like and have USED the OS.... but a certain someone just can't let it go.

12. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    supa dupa win 8...

13. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    hahaha

would be even better if crytek would make there editor run right in windows 8

with game mode I cant do full screen, just goes to black screen

14. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    What problems with CCC have you found on windows 7 that dissapeared in windows 8?
    As for gpu usage, afaik gpu is used in win8 aswell, i dont see how that is a downside, if you dont want your idling gpu to be used then either disable aero transparency or switch to classic mode.

@ElementalDragon, im glad you posted the post#31 so people can realise how hypocritical your interaction has been in this thread, they wont even have to check the older one.

15. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    It's nice to see that L A is still trolling the Windows 8 threads. You just can't resist them can you? I just don't understand your "need" to continually regurgitate the same old boring, useless crap, especially since you openly state that you haven't even used the OS for more than a few minutes. You don't like Win 8 and that's fine, but I and many others do so why continue to troll the Win 8 threads? If you don't like, why bother wasting your time posting worthless claims in threads concerning it?

16. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    I was pretty much bashing windows 8 myself until I just went with the 30€ upgrade to windows 8 pro.
    Like, I don't know where all this BS about the interface and stuff came?
    Based no what I had read then, windows 8 was an utter failure.

I liked windows 8 from the first time I booted into it, I mean the only thing weird was the start menu at first, but after I realized it has all the functionality and then some as the old vista/win7 start menu I felt like using a better version of windows 7.
    You can even disable the start menu if it really annoys you.
    But to be honest, the only time you see it is when you boot into windows or when you search/launch programs by pressing windows key and typing the program name + enter for second or two...

You can't experience this OS by reading reviews, which by the way mostly tell total BS about windows 8, especially things like missing features about metro which in fact are present and working just fine, they just didn't take the time to test the OS thoroughly I guess.

I'd urge people to just ignore these ignorant windows 8 trollers who haven't even tried the retail version of the OS in the first place, and are making judgments already.
    Windows 8 is a great OS and is has many improvements such as noticeably faster boot times and a nice refreshing UI, while still being almost identical to windows 7 (just a minor refresh so to say), and lets not forget things like the new file explorer, or the new convenient shortcuts like windows + x which brings up pretty much all the commonly used administrative tools (event viewer, task manager, device manager, you name it).
    It's a really good idea to check a guide on windows 8 tips or something to learn all the shortcuts.

All in all, even if I were to consider metro a horrible decision, which I did at the beginning, it's still an upgrade and better than windows 7.
    Especially since you can even disable the metro stuff all together if you want.
    I imagine people went over this same BS discussion when windows XP came (I don't know) but just look what became of XP lol.

17. lantrich

lantrich Guest

GPU:
    Palit/GTX 460/768
    Why upgrade to Windows 8?

I think we need to remember that device drivers for our hardware will continue to be updated for the newest operating system. Since Windows 8 is it drivers, especially video drivers, will be optimized for Windows 8. I don't know about you but I want all the performance I can get for the hardware I have. If you are a gamer then every frame per second matters. If you just surf the web or use your PC as a typewriter then Windows XP is all you need. My upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 was a breeze and I have a lot of software on it. Only a few programs had to be reinstalled. Performance is great.
    For those of us who have upgraded operating systems in the past you know that upgrading without a fresh install was a mistake. Things have changed. Now the upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 8 was different. It stalled at 90% like so many others. The solution is that you cannot upgrade a 32 bit operating system to a 64 bit system. You must do a fresh install. The key you purchased for the $39.99 will work on the full install.
    It really is a matter of choice but i would rather take the deal on Windows 8 that hold off and pay a premium later because the upgrade path offered doesn't include my current operating system.

18. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    LA, how am i being hypocritical? You're the one who keeps spouting BS after having momentarily used the OS without really seeming to dig into it at all, and you expect everyone to just say "Oh... ok... he must know what he's talking about"? By some people not being able to let it go, i'm talking about you in particular. For this thread, and a LOT of pages of the last one, all you keep spouting is "Windows Phone 8 Interface" this and "Search" that... are those the only two things you looked at before generating your opinion? or did you actually NOT use the OS and just watch some video reviews and tours of the OS before coming to your conclusions?

When i said "I'd prefer if it didn't go to that point..", i was basically saying that i wish you'd have noticed several pages ago that just about everyone who was bashing the OS like you have been has either used the OS and realized they may have been a bit mistaken, or has left the thread alone. Yet, you keep coming back with the same crap telling people that the OS sucks because the start menu resembles Windows Phone's Live Tiles, and somehow feel that that makes Windows 8 a phone OS, and not a desktop OS. I just can't figure you out, dude.

19. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Internet is full of tards trying to pass comment on the os which they've not used, based on what other tards who have not used the os either have said and the moron they tend to spew is things like:

"Search, lol. "

" Phone ui lol"

"Unproductive lol. "

Ad nauseum.... Tards with an opinion on something that they haven't used is easy to spot.

20. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Nobody is forcing anyone to upgrade, this is not facebook :p

http://i.minus.com/is9wVyJkS9Adi.gif

On the other hand despite what people said a few months back I still wanted to try it to see it for myself and I am actually fine with it. You can easily customize things you don't want, granted you're getting a "new" OS and you want older features and most people want new things but don't like change. I admit that I sometimes use the start UI but 90% of the time I just use the regular start (classicshell). Some drivers do need to be ironed out but thats how it usually is, just needs some kinks out. If you are 100% happy with 7 then there is no need to upgrade to 8 and no need to bash on it for not being the same as 7.