Which Mechanical keyboard to buy?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sounar, Apr 5, 2013.

1. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
  2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I like this keyboard and would go for brown, it's considered to be between the blue and black. Black sucks for long typing sessions and blue is susceptible to double taps and being really loud, yet it's amazing to type with. Brown is in the middle. Personally, I like tactile switches so that I don't necessarily need to bottom out in order to know that the key's been registered. The Cherry MX Blue, Brown and Clear are tactile switches while the Cherry MX Red and Black are linear switches which means it doesn't have a small bump feeling to let you know that the key has been registered before the bottom-out.

I have the Razer Blackwidow which I got 2 years ago, it's a Cherry MX Blue switch keyboard but at the time only Razer was selling it for the price point I was willing to pay for and there wasn't as much choice as there is now after other well known hardware companies started realizing the resurgence for mechanical keyboards.

Looking at this thread again, I'm surprised no one brought up the Mechanical Keyboard Guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

deltatux

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080

Actually, I did - Post #3 ;) Never hurts to get another link though!

4. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    I have not ordered any yet (waiting on getting the Corsair K95) but I plan on getting some of these http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html to see how I like them (The Logitech G710+ has similar ones installed already, as does some other brands). Will probably go with the softest ones. Not that my keyboard is very loud, but it might be nice.

5. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    I did already

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Oh you did, I probably skipped it by accident while skimming. Oops lol.

deltatux

7. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    alright guys ..so i went to my local computer shop...and they had a whole bunch of keyboards, mechanical that is, lined up on display. I think I spent there nearly an hour trying them all out lol.. I had tried out the trigger, Logitech G710, Gigabyte Osmium, CM Rapid pro, Razer's, Dasmat, and k90...the only one i actually liked in the end was the Trigger but only with the blue cherry switches for my taste... the browns I found were far too mushy and unsettling to press...reds too boring for my taste, blue seemed perfect on the trigger satisfying yet easy to press..but i was told that trigger CM has an issue of taking about 4 seconds before the keyboard boots up and becomes usable which makes entering bios not possible with it...so i left empty handed...and in the end i got home and decided to remove all my letter caps from the g15 board and clean all the crap settling there...now it feels like new, no more problems :wanker:

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    keyboard taking 4 seconds? Sounds like someone had a BIOS/UEFI issue that couldn't initialize the keyboard. That shouldn't happen, keyboards enter into a sort of "legacy mode" in BIOS/UEFI and only its basic functions would work as long as the BIOS/UEFI supports USB input on boot-up.

If you go to Canada Computers, you can get the keyboard, try it and return it if you don't like it. Worse comes to worse, you'd only lose 5% of the price if you decide to return it. It's better than nothing.

As much as I like the Cherry MX Blue switch for typing, the fact that it's so damn easy to double tap, aggravates which doesn't happen on the Cherry MX Browns which is why I prefer the Browns over the Blue.

deltatux

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  9. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    ya this is true i could return it at CC but i decided to stick with my G15 as i ended up fixing the problem and it types like brand new now as of which i cant justify spending the money...good thing as well since my X-fi sound card seemed to started creating a static sound through my speakers..so i ended up purchasing a new sound card with the money i kept from buying a keyboard..... and the cherry brown switches, i would not purchase it just didn't feel right for a mechanical keyboard and not any better than my g15, but that's just my opinion =/

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  10. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ all of this and you're going to stick with the rubber dome keyboard? :rolleyes:

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    lol, ^this. I would have replaced the keyboard over the sound card.

deltatux