EHCI Hands-off

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Fyew-jit-tiv, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Hey Guru's,

Quick Question... Do you have EHCI Hands-off enabled or disabled within your bios..?

Regards

Fugitive

2. It controls USB 2.0 functionality, Enable it

3. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Hi K.S, Thanks for your reply, I have just read some bits about EHCI and it bascially says its a work around for OS's that dont have E/Hand-off support.... Surely Win7 does have EHCI Hand-off support? and if so then Disabling would be a better option no?

Regards

4. Yes, that's correct, but personally I'd enable it just in case having it "disabled" overides something (I guess the OS should replace the need for it though, whether enabled or not). Basically since Win Xp Sp1 you technically shouldn't need it as the OS is supposed to compensate for the BIOS option. (I would benchmark your USB perf. with and without it to see whether the BIOS fix or OS fix works best for your config) Also are you running the latest mobo BIOS:http://support.asus.com/download/do...duct=1&model=P6T Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us&os=30

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2010

5. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Hi K.S, Yeah i am running the latest bios... Its funny you mentioned benching cause i just ran a usb drive bump from one to another with EHCI Disabled and the read & writes speeds are faster. EX... Enabled, copy speeds are about 20ish mbps.. Disabled, copy speeds are around 34ish mbps... So it does seem to be faster with EHCI disabled.

6. Sounds like the OS is better at managing that, I'd leave it disabled then and if you start having stability issues or errors try enabling it. (you shouldn't though with win7 x64)

7. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Yh im going to leave it for a while and see what happens..! Thanks for feedback.!

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    just noticed this thread whilst looking for something related to the handoff functionality.

@K.S. this setting doesn't control USB controller function, rather it resets a bios semphore so that the OS can take over using memory mapped io.

for EHCI, anything before Windows XP SP2 required this, and for XHCI, anything before Windows 8.

See: Part 5.1 of http://developer.intel.com/technology/usb/download/ehci-r10.pdf

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  9. Ahhh me in my younger years :cool: circa 2010' good times - yeah what a throwback' days of hackintoshing and such. Well thanks - it's nice to know this; I'd still rather know than not know - appreciate the nod man :)