Need an advise According to Pc specs W7 to XP

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Deleted member 268800, Apr 23, 2017.

1. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    Back then but not today. Web pages load more images and larger animation files. You must have been editing smaller video back then because today it's 8GB or larger video files not 1GB or smaller. Testing sXP on a modern system I can definitely conclude my recommended memory setup is required. You could go with no pagefile if you wanted but I prefer to use my > 3.2GB as Ramdrive and pagefile location. 512MB was definitely not enough memory for XP without a lot of disk thrashing unless you aren't a multitasker. I would have about 50 to 100 browser tabs open simultaneously. If you're just not a heavy multitasker than you could probably be happy with 512MB back then. 2GB was comfy back in the day but today the damn web pages are more bloated with content.

However if you wanted to just be "ABLE" to boot Windows 2000. I believe you could boot up with just 16MB of memory. With XP I think 32MB it still worked.

Sure today 1GB may seem paltry now but back then 1GB was a big threshold during the Windows 98 days. Trust me as someone who used to use 64KB memory on the first IBM PC. Look back further Atari 400 only had 4KB. Strange to think that was quite usable and how much could be done on it. Then fast forward to 128GB memory motherboards you scratch your head that an entire web page uses up more memory than a computer back in the day and 128GB seems to be limitless in comparison.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB