Fermi bios editor guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by civato, Jan 6, 2011.

1. helifax

helifax Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX590
    change the voltages on the GTX 590

I know the latest version of NiBiTor 6.0.2 doesn't officially support the GTX 590 because some guys fried a lot of these cards.

However I was wondering if I can use the tool to alter the voltages from 0.913 (undervolted atm) to 0.938v (spec voltage). The latest drivers "locked" the voltage to the minimum value.

I opened the rom file with the editor and selected a GTX580 based on the same Fermi GPU 110. It read the voltage values correctly. I saved it with the correct id( integrity was ok). Now I am wondering if I should flash it or not... could the editor mess up my bios file? I don't want to end up with a "no go" card....

Thanks in advance.

2. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    NiBiToR 6.03 does support GTX590 , but you need to chipin to get it.

I wouldn't flash the bios that you changed , the ID is different so it is possible that you brick you'r card.

If you ask "MKV tech" they can help you out , only thing they ask to upload your original GTX590 bios.

I got the 6.03 version and it works with the GTX590 that I can confirm.

There are some things I need to check because NVIDIA changed the P levels .
    On the GF110 (580 ,570) there are only 3 P levels , the GTX590 got 4 P levels.
    Like the GF100 (470 , 480 , 465).

PS: you want a bios that puts the minimum 3D voltage at 0.938V ?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  3. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    UPDATE GUIDE for the GTX590

Updated the guide for the GTX590 , the PDF file in the download package is also updated with the info of the GTX590.

For the GTX590 NiBiToR 6.03 is needed , this version is not public and NOT included in the download package. When it becomes public I will add it.

If you don't want to wait visit the MKV tech site.

enjoy.......

4. helifax

helifax Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX590
    Thanks, but I managed to alter my bios to work at 0.938V using NiBiToR 6.02. All you have to do is keep the ID. The voltage table are the same as those of the GTX 580. In anyone needs proof I can provide. Also be CAREFUL!!! when you OverVolt and OverClock...this is the reason cards BLEW...of "reviewers" who maxed out everything...that was not OC-ing....it was stupid;))

Now....again a nice advice: don't get over 0.963 with the voltage (even on water cooling, like myself) even if the maximum officially supported voltage is 1.05V. Also..don't mod the bios to increase the clocks..use a software tool instead.

At the moment I am running the card on this bios ( kept a back-up of the original just in case).

Best regards

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

5. capchaos

capchaos Member

GPU:
    quad palit gtx 580 on h20
    when flashing the 590 bios is there 2 separate bios u hve to flash or just 1

6. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    If you are flashing 2 single cards in sli there is no need for different version numbers.
    I never flashed X2 GPU single pcb cards so I cannot confirm.
    I would think it is not needed , First flash gpu 1 and then NVFLASH will say found match , and flash second gpu.

I did notice that when you save your original bios of the GTX590 you will see that the version numbers are different.

Example: -Version: 70.10.37.00.01 for GPU 1
    -Version: 70.10.37.00.02 for GPU 2

So I cannot tell 100%.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  7. capchaos

capchaos Member

GPU:
    quad palit gtx 580 on h20
    got it figured out. for the flash to work each version number has to be matched with that gpu b/c one gpu is master and one is the slave . All went good.
    Thanks for the response though.

8. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Thanks for the info !

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
  10. Arkaël_

Arkaël_ Guest

GPU:
    Twintech GTS450 1024Mo
    Hi all,

First, thx for this great topic.
    As a Linux user, i cannot use software overclocking for my GTS 450 Twintech Fermi GPU Overclock not supported with Coolbits option).
    I know this one is GF106, but decided to try all the same...

I overclocked Memory and Shader, but i don't see any instruction about overclocking the GPU itself.
    I changed the original clock 783/1566/1800 to something that seems to be easy, so decided to raise Shaders to 1700 and Memory to 1900.
    After reboot it seems to work with 850 / 1700 / 1900.

but the question is: Is the GPU clock linked with Shaders clock? It seems possible to overclock the GPU to 900 and maybe more but how without to change other values?

When editing with NiBiTor, i do not see 783 value as default GPU clock... so i don't know if i can change something about the GPU clock it self.

Someone to help or give some informations about this?
    Also, what is the bumped shader value? And what is the importance of this one?

thx

11. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
  12. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    ALL THE FOLLOWING EXPLAINATION IS FOR THE GTS450

GPU core and shader are linked with Fermi. There is NO way you can unlink them.

So a Shader speed of 1566 = 783MHz core speed.

The bumped shader is important for stability.
    The bumped shader is the value in tab 4 and 11 in the P15 level in NiBiToR (Fermi Clock Domain Editor)

Tab 3 in P15 level is the shader speed that you want (default for you is 1566)
    Tab 5 in P15 level is memory speed that you want. ( keep in mind that the value you put there is x2 effective data rate , so 1804x2=3608MHz effective)

To know the value of the NEW bumped shader speed (when you change the shader speed) you need to divide the default bumped shader speed by the default shader speed.

Example:1645(default bumped shader speed) : 1566 (default shader speed) = 1,0504(this value we need when we calculate the NEW bumped shader speed)

So in your case: overclocked speed:New shader speed 1700MHz(tab3 in P15 level in NiBiToR)

New Bumped shader speed: 1,0504x1700 = 1785(no numbers behind the comma)(tab 4 and 11 in P15 Level in NiBiToR)

The only values you need to change are located in the P15 Level state , tab 3= Shader speed , tab 4 and 11 = Bumped shader speed and tab 5 memory speed.

Voltage can be modded in the Voltage editor the same as explained in the guide.
    Voltage setting 2= is the voltage of the P15 level or the 3D performance clocks.(there are two values , the gpu picks the one that is the best , some use 1V , some use 1.05V depending on the quality of your gpu)
    When you overclock up to 850/1700/2000MHz voltage setting of 1V-1.1375V is good.( this is the default setting of every GTS450 fermi gpu running at default speed)

950/1900/2000 voltage setting of 1.0375-1.175V , not recommended if your cooling is not good.

Hope this helped you out.
    Don't forget to adjust the bumped shader speed !!!!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  13. Arkaël_

Arkaël_ Guest

GPU:
    Twintech GTS450 1024Mo
    Thx for you answer

What about the first tabs? For me these ones are "1566" do you know what these values are for?
    Youy informations confirmed me that what i was doing was right, so i decided to raise freqs a little more

right now the card is running 900 / 1800 / 1950
    Temperature is 70 Celsius after 45 minutes of Unigine Heaven windowed Tessel Extreme.

Maybe i'll try to push a lil more, but probably wont change voltages, as i don't think this will give significant boost on this kind of card with stock fan.
    But maybe am i wrong?

Also, what kind of test would you recommend to test stability? how long?
    I used to test during 1 hour with my 9800GT with same kind of graphic test... but well a long time ago

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  14. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    The values of first tabs (0 , 1 )are the same as the default shader speed , you can change these to the new shader speed , this sometimes helps for stability.
    EVGA does this with almost all of it's factory overclocked cards. Match the values of tab 0 and 1 with tab 3 in the P15 level.

If you get a lot the error "driver stopped responding" this could help make the gpu more stable. But if this is a fact , I could not tell. I'm not using it with latest driver (270.51) and I'm not having any problems.

Always do a reinstall of the driver when you flashed your gpu.

Some say testing with OCCT or furmark , I prefure playing Crysis and Metro2033 for hours .
    3DMArk Vantage is also good for me for stability , sometimes games run smooth but put Vantage on for 3 runs and it crashes.

15. Arkaël_

Arkaël_ Guest

GPU:
    Twintech GTS450 1024Mo
    ok, thank you for these informations.

followed these instructions, andthis is really better! i used to experience some freeze with 900 / 1800 / 2000 on Unigine Heaven... with this and Voltage modifications everything is now running perfectly and with really better performances.

I'll try to play a few hours to see if it crashes, but it seems like Unigine is an heavy test.

Temperature is now 76 degrees, with fan running 55% speed, doesn't seem too hot... am i right?

A thing that seems strange to me, why do i need to reinstall driver after each time i flash the card?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

16. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Temp is just fine ,100°C is max for the gpu of the GTS450 , if it hits 100°C it will trotlle down.

It's better to reinstall driver ( a quick reinstall ) for stability , you changed the BIOS settings so it is possible that the driver (if not reinstalled) reads out the bios checksum wrong and again you get the error "drivers stopped responding" much faster.
    Modifying the bios is not the same as overclocking with software.
    It takes about 5min , so it's better to do it.

I'm not saying that it will be unstable if you don't reinstall the driver but I think it is better to rule out this possibility.

If you ever flash a bios of a other vendor or with different ID's or a other bios version you must reinstall !!! If you don't it will crash real fast when hitting 3D performance clocks.

17. Arkaël_

Arkaël_ Guest

GPU:
    Twintech GTS450 1024Mo
    I'll try to push the card to 930 / 1860 / 2000 if tomorrow it still runs like right now... [edit]tried and seems like 900 is the maximum i can get with this voltage, maybe i should try to push it a lil more...[/edit]

Have you got an idea about other clock values in bios? This might be very interesting.

Again, thank you for all these answers and work

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ok thanks!
    I did not flash it yet i dont even know if i have too till i find out how it runs on ln2...who knows if the other .06v would help.

19. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    I know what they are but why they are in that order I don't know.
    I think it's a way for the driver to know how to control the clock speeds and switch to the correct P-level.

Like in the P3 level = 270=135x2 , 540=270x2 and 135 is the memory speed in 2D , 101 is the shader speed in 2D

P7 is 405 the core speed and 810 the shader speed , 324 is the memory speed in 3D lower clocks , used for BR and video.

The GTX590 got a P12/14 level and that is a table where the downclock speeds are when the gpu gets over it's specs , it is also the driver that makes the gpu trottle down to this P12/14 level when running some software like "Furmark" , this to protect the gpu for to much heat.

That's all I can make of it. Sorry if this is not sufficient.

P3 and P7 is better left alone.
    You can change these clocks when you got stability problems in 2D , there is someone that I helped out here to get his 2D clocks to the same as it's 3D lower clocks because he had some problems.

The only thing I do is lower the 2D voltage , mine was stock 0.913V and now it is 0.85V so it consumes less power when in 2D desktop mode.

930 with that voltage is tricky , it is possible you need to raise it to 1.05V , 1.03 is not enough.
    In "voltage setting 2" at 1.05V - 1.075V (leave a difference of two steps , more is not needed , I don't even use different settings , I put both values in "voltage setting 2" the same :1.05 - 1.05)
    There will be a point that raising the voltage has no point , I would never go higher then 1.16V on this GTS450 and always keep a eye on your temps.

To be absolutly safe never higher then 0.075 / 0.1V above default voltage.
    So 1V is default for GTS450 , that means 1.075 to 1.1V for the long run.

With 1.063V you will hit 930 easy even 950 and you are still in the safe voltage range.

20. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    When a video card bios is changed can you still install new drivers, Or do you have to put the bios back to default before installing a new driver?