GPU Monitor Gadget 2.0 Released

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by stangowner, Apr 6, 2009.

1. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Of course. I'm dumb. :O Just ignore me. :bang:

2. Ginger Fish

Ginger Fish New Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800GTX
    I get it! WMI service disabled on my PC, because it cause problems with steam games on Windows 7. I have enable this service, and in directory C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\GPUMonitor appear a new file - adapters.json. Then I just turn off WMI service again, and thats all :) This is a simple solution to solve this problem. Thank you for help and support, Nick!

3. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    The gadget queries the adapter once when it starts. It saves these settings to adapters.json so the flyout and the settings do not have to query WMI again. So if you disable the service, this will fail everytime the gadget is opened. It should not stop the gadget from running (the error is trapped and handled in the gadget), so as long as the file exists it will be fine. However, if you ever have a hardware change, you'll have to re-enable WMI again so these settings can update.

4. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Oh man, I didn't know that I can see a Min/max/current values in a separate window.
    I'm getting old...

[​IMG]

Awesome gadget. Again, a BIG thank you.

5. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    :) Sorry to break it to you, but this was in 2.0 so you could have been using it for 3 months now.

BTW - you can click the nvidia icon at the top of the gadget to reset the min & max values to the current without having to restart the gadget. And if you click the gadget to give it focus, you can see the min/current/max values for the monitor you are hovering over without having to open the flyout.

One more point - the graphs take a bit more cpu then the text/bar display styles. Not a big deal for today's hardware.....but I'm sure you are going to see pretty high CPU time for sidebar.exe with that many graphs running.

Holy crap, you have a lot of stuff displaying in your OSD. How can you still see your games?

- Nick

6. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    All you said about gadget I've discovered myself yesterday. :O
    I'm not a gamer, just from time to time and OSD is on only at first game launch to see some numbers.
    But I guess I'm a hardware monitoring graphs freak. :D

LE: BTW, you should receive an email from Kevin (unclewebb) and maybe a nice collaboration could begin. :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  7. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    I got the email from Kevin, thanks :)

For everyone else, please take a minute to read the instructions tab in the gadget config. Some of these things are explained there.

Also, there is a video demonstrating all the functionality of the gadget at http://rivatuner.doomdealer.com/ under Hardware Monitor->Sidebar Gadget. Its a little long (30 minutes), but may demonstrate some of the features which you are not familiar with or give you ideas on how to use it. It might also be good if you just want to see what it can do before you decide to install it.

Feel free to drop a line here if any of you have questions, suggestions or problems with the gadget.

- Nick

8. Eletro.nic

Eletro.nic New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870 512mb HIS
    Sorry poor english.

Greetings from Brazil.

Tnks, and congratulations for the great work.
    I love the GPU Monitor gadget.

Before I used the gadget of Everest, so I know the GPU Monitor and could not stop using

I´m using with Everest plugin.
    I like to have control of my system on my screen and in real time. :nerd:

My GPU Monitor.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A few hours to do this :)

Only the Memory Speed, Memory Timings, DRAM:FSB, UpTime, etc. I cant make work, anyone know how? Work with Everest and HwMonitor Gadget. I know these results are diferents, no min-max, i try a few ways, but not work.

One more time, tnks and congratulations for the great work.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  9. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Not sure how much help I can be, as I do not run Everest. But I'll try.

Can you zip and send me these 3 things to the email address listed in the gadget?

1 - record 20 seconds or so in the RivaTuner Hardware Monitor and send me a copy of the .hml file
    2 - a copy of your "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\GPUMonitor.log" file
    3 - a copy of your "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\GPUMonitor" folder

Make sure you backup your gadget settings, just in case :) The instructions tab will tell you how.

10. Darkje

Darkje Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX 3060Ti
    he must have used everests sensors and enabled everest shared memory, then in rivatuner enabled the everest plugin (and modified the plugin's config in the rt/plugins folder to match every sensor name everest outputs...

in that case the problem is not your gadget, but in the fact that rivatuner does not handle string values frem everest well... it expects and displays in it's graphs a single number, forex with date only the first number...

I made this screen

[​IMG]
    click

showing the sidebar I get when I enable all everest +realtemp sensors plus partial rivatuner + everest.cfg

nice gadget...

11. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Darkje,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I assumed it was something along those lines, but was unsure without being able to reproduce the environment using his data (I never received the files from him).

The Memory Timings, DRAM:FSB and Date/Time/UpTime seem like they could be array/string related and made sense, but Memory Speed seems like it could just be a single numeric value. What do you get in Everest for that sensor - both of you show 0 in RivaTuner/gadget?

Again, thanks for the help!

- Nick

12. Darkje

Darkje Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX 3060Ti
    Rivatuners everest plugin can export what it reads by changing the "export =0" line to 1, and a log of what the plugin reads will be created in the plugin dir.

the offending lines/values from te log read (tabbed out a bit for readability):

Code:
    <sys>	<id>SDATE</id>		<label>Date</label>			<value>8/19/2009</value>	</sys>
    <sys>	<id>STIME</id>		<label>Time</label>			<value>11:10:04 AM</value>	</sys>
    <sys>	<id>SUPTIME</id>	<label>UpTime</label>			<value>00:35:45</value>		</sys>
    <sys>	<id>SMEMSPEED</id>	<label>Memory Speed</label>		<value>DDR2-1000</value>	</sys>
    <sys>	<id>SDRAMFSB</id>	<label>DRAM:FSB Ratio</label>		<value>1:1</value>		</sys>
    <sys>	<id>SMEMTIM</id>	<label>Memory Timings</label>		<value>6-6-6-18 CR2</value>	</sys>
    <sys>	<id>SBATT</id>		<label>Battery</label>			<value>No Battery</value>	</sys>

In my case all others are plain number values, so no problems there.

Rivatuner itself can't do much with those strings either (as far as I know, maybe Unwinder does...) but it would be nice if there was a way in RT to pass them trough correctly. Image showing rt-graphs of those items:
    [​IMG]

I've made some configs with only the working data and double entries I got from using multiple plugins removed:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    *clickable*
    plugins used: rivatuners default driver readings, the adt7473 and everest plugins, realtemp for rivatuner pluging.
    data displayed from top to bottom:
    rivatuners vga-driver data, inc. hw-acceleration (rt-stat server needs to be running for that)
    adt7473 plugin vga card data
    realtemp cpu data
    everest data grouped by cpu/mem/temps/fans/voltages, with anything reported by other sources removed.
    (3rd one also showing everest missing data in everests own gadget, at the bottom.)

Ok, now that I've played for a couple of days :) first I like to thank you for the fun, but now I also have a feature request list... ;) :
    - direct input from everest, bypassing rivatuners everest plugin, so strings from everest like time and date can be read too.
    - way to arrange entries, so you can group data like fans, voltages from different plugins.
    - way to add an entry with no data other than label, to be used as category header, or info.
    - separate separators from data.
    - more or customizable icons for other data. lightning bolt for voltages, clock symbol for clocks, etc...
    - separator with text, like: ---- text ---
    - driver /vga bios version entry/display.
    - cpu-z like misc. hardware info, like mobo brand/model, chipset, bios version, etc.
    - profiles, with captured screen from the gadget.

I don't know how hard, if at all possible it would be to implement any of that, but maybe you can use some of it?

edit: added rt-graphs image
    edit2: final? toolbar, fixin my mistakes in the previous ones with the memsize unit and some naming inconsistencies :
    [​IMG]
    best regards, Darkje

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  13. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for providing.....this is exactly what I was looking for.

I have been thinking about this and have an idea I'll try over the next few days.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm at work right now and can't take the time to provide thorough answers, so I'll reply again shortly.

- Nick

14. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Sorry for the delay. I've been fairly wrapped up the past couple of days. Anyways, here is the follow up response.

- direct input from everest, bypassing rivatuners everest plugin, so strings from everest like time and date can be read too
    - cpu-z like misc. hardware info, like mobo brand/model, chipset, bios version, etc

This gadget was specifically designed for RivaTuner. The hardware monitor in RivaTuner is a lot more then just monitoring, with the capabilities that Unwinder built into things like the Scheduler, and making it all extensible via plugins. It is also understandable that strings are not supported given these reasons. The main reason I developed this gadget was just so the valuable information in RivaTuner could be displayed in a reasonable amount of desktop space and be more easily accessible. I appreciate that you would like it to be the only gadget you need, but it was never intended to have multiple source inputs. Nor is it feasible given the amount of work that would entail.

Everest is a commercial product with its own gadget tightly integrated into the application itself. I have no idea what Lavalys might be doing with it in the future. I think it would be better to press them if you would like a more robust gadget. Although they do have shared memory/registry/WMI access, I do not have any plans to make a replacement for theirs. And given Unwinder has already provided a plugin for RivaTuner, you can get 95% of the data incorparted just fine.

- way to arrange entries, so you can group data like fans, voltages from different plugins
    You can drag and drop the entries right in the RivaTuner Hardware Monitor Setup screen to order them. And you can run multiple instances of the gadget and/or use separators like you are doing to group them.

- way to add an entry with no data other than label, to be used as category header, or info
    You can use the gadget title and run multiple instances. I may add something in the future, but nothing is in development at this point. Gadgets are really just web pages.....so if you want to get creative you can even use html in the title text like:
    Code:
    I am a <span style="color:red">red</span> and<br /><span style="color:blue">blue</span> title
    - separate separators from data
    This actually isn't as easy as it sounds. But it is currently very easy to move them to another monitor simply by unchecking and checking a box. Maybe I'll add something in the future, but it is really just the same results implemented differently. The only time this is really an issue is when you reorder the monitors.

- more or customizable icons for other data. lightning bolt for voltages, clock symbol for clocks, etc...
    I like the idea of the lightning bolt, and have created one I'll include in the next release. PM me if you want it now.

You can edit or add your own icons to the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\GPUMonitor.gadget\icons" folder. Then add them to the end of the icons array at the top of the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\GPUMonitor.gadget\scripts\shared.js" file (just open it in a text editor).

Although this is the first time that I've mentioned this, you can see that some users have already figured this out: http://www.overclock.net/other-software/559690-cpu-gpu-fan-voltage-hdd-ram.html

- separator with text, like: ---- text ---
    This sould be fairly easy, I'll consider adding it.

- driver /vga bios version entry/display
    The driver is listed in the flyout. I'm not querying the hardware directly, and I don't know of an easy way to get the BIOS through RivaTuner.

- profiles, with captured screen from the gadget
    I added multiple instance support in 2.1, so you have profiles. But there is no easy way for me to associate a thumbnail with it, so you'll just have to reference the instance number to track it yourself.

I'll continue to give these, as well as all of the other suggestions I have received, some thought. Thanks again for your feedback!

- Nick

15. Darkje

Darkje Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX 3060Ti
    Thanks for your elaborate reply.

I understand, you are right about everest, there is actually only 4 items not imported and it's not worth going through a lot of trouble for those.

ahh arrange it that way, never noticed that in rivatuner :bang: man that program is awesome...:nerd:

I did discover the html files and and replaced some icons too, will try the separator like suggested also.

I noticed that the driver version was in the flyout too, but it seemed like a nice idea to have card/driver version in the title. I just edited the title by hand now to get that in.

I guessed as much about importing other stuff... if I can get it in RT, it will get in the gadget too...

I've played with multiple instances, but it took me a while to find out how to select sources ;) for each instance... at first I never noticed that it was all the way down on the general settings page, but once I did find the display filter it became clear...

again thanks for your time on the gadget and the patient answers to my, in retrospect, silly questions. looking forward to your next release!

best regards, Darkje...

16. Vomit

Vomit Member Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 7970 Vapour-X
    Hello

thanks, its very handy tool.

I hate to seem greedy and want everything, BUT could you possibly make this work with windows sideshow, that would probably make it perfect as the system could be monitered whilst playing full screen video games. I already have a g15 but prefer to use that screen for ventrilo and use my pda and the limited sideshow gadgets available at the moment for monitoring my system, unfortunately their isnt one available at the moment that can read the important stuff like temratures.

once again, great job and thank you very much:)

17. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    @Darkje

I'd be interested to see what you came up with for a final result. Sometimes seeing what people do gives me ideas for future versions. Mind posting or emailing me pics?

@Vomit
    You are the first to ask, but that is a very interesting thought! Let me take a look at the SideShow APIs to get an idea of what is involved.

18. Darkje

Darkje Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX 3060Ti
    I'm still constantly tweaking and modifying, but sure I'll post a pic:

[​IMG]

It shows the gadget with all I could import on the left and separate instances I made for GPU, CPU, Memory, Chipset, Power and System. Haven't yet tweaked the html, but it looks intimidating ;)...

Anyhow, I'm quite happy where I'm at now!

Best regards, Darkje

edit: It seems I have a problem, if I close gadget instance 0 the other gadgets stop reading fresh data and keep displaying the last data it got... starting instance 0 again and the other ones also start updating again :(

edit2: closing instance 0 causes gppumonitor.exe to be unloaded even if other instances are still active... starting the exe by hand sort of solves it temporarily... rebooting with instance 0 disabled and other instances enabled won't start the exe process either...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  19. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Great! Glad you are managing to make it work the way you want it. Seems like you have quite a bit of data in there. Thanks for the pic.

Actually, this behavior is normal. If you look at the instructions, I mention you have to have at least 1 gadget running instance 0. When I was writing the code to allow multiple instances of the gadget, I need to prevent multiple instances of GPUMonitor.exe from running. So the code checks to see if it is running before starting it. But I noticed after computer restarts, the sidebar will launch all gadgets at once, so gadget 0/1/2/etc all check to see if GPUMonitor.exe is running, and its not, so they all spawn it. This ends up in multiple instances of it. So only gadget 0 will check and spawn it (and kill it), which is why you need it running. But if you add another instance of the gadget, which defaults to instance 0, it will check and find the process already running and not spawn a 2nd instance. Make sense?

Anyways, to resolve the issue, just open your existing instance 0 and save it out as 9 in case you ever want it again. Then change one of the others to 0. Then everything will work fine.

20. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Wow, this is going to be great. I'll be able to monitor my PC performing benchmarks from the poolside with a cold beer :) Bluetooth+SmartPhone

Anyways, you'll have to give me a little time on this one. The SideShow display options are fairly limiting. I need to see how I can properly map all of the existing features (icons, colors, alignment, min/max, flyout, multiple instances, etc) into the SideShow. From what I have seen so far, it is looking grim for bars and graphs, but I'll dig into those possiblities further after getting the text options to render nicely. Anyways.....it does work and I'll definitely plan on having some type of support for it. Here's an initial first go at it (data is in, have not tweaked the appearance yet).

[​IMG]