Replacment for dogy Nvidia cards in ATI

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Andrew Neilson, May 20, 2013.

1. Andrew Neilson

Andrew Neilson Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 CU II
    Having just been told by the company I bought my 2 GTX 680s off of, that they are gonna refund me my $1700, I am gonna buy ATI so at least I have working cards for a change. Whats a worthy replacement.I was considering 2x 7970s, or a single 7990??
    Not really sure whats a good ATI now as last time I had something good was my 6990, but god it was a loud card lol

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Get one Titan. It's overpriced and it's performance is quite below 2x GTX680s/2x HD7970s, but it does have that performance across board.
    Keep it safe, don't break it. I am sure It will fit your configuration nicely.

3. Andrew Neilson

Andrew Neilson Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 CU II
    Hell no mate I will never ever buy Nvidia again

4. AC_Avatar100400

AC_Avatar100400 Guest

GPU:
    WC GTX 780
    Well if you wont buy Nvidia and want the performance of 2 GTX 680s your quite Limited.I would buy the best Single GPU solution but AMD/ATI has some super Crossfire Drivers in the works so you could go Dual 7970 and take more space or go with 7990 both will be limited to 3GB of DDR5.With the options you listed either get a single 7970 or 7990.Good Luck Man

Last edited: May 20, 2013

5. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    May I ask what was the problem with 680's?

My only regret with my 680's is the fact that 670 have pretty much the same performance at lower price. Same thing doesnt seem to be true for 7970ghz vs 7950 though so you can go with two 7970 ghz edition cards.

I had a lot of problems woth crossfire when I had two 6950's before though. Pretty much no game would work fine with it when a new game first released. AMD is slower with drivers compared to nVIDIA

6. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Not sure if serious or trolling.

7990=CF 7970 meaning it will use 3GB of VRAM as well.

He could get 2x 7970 6GB but at this point...

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    @OP: Nvidia has nothing to do with it. You might have gotten a dodgy card. This doesn't make sense.

Now if you wanted to make the switch from 680SLI to 7970CF, yes I recommend for performance reasons and higher VRAM. But avoiding Nvidia just because you had a single bad experience that is unrelated to the brand makes no sense.

At least try and troubleshoot the issues. Open a topic. People here can help.

What have you tried that didn't work? What graphics cards did you have before? Did you try and format? What drivers did you try? Did you try a different SLi bridge?

7970s perform better than 680s. So if he's not buying Nvidia and wants the performance of 2 680s, the 7970s would do more than that.

VRAM doesn't stack up on dual-GPU cards. 2 7970s do have that same 6GB VRAM in total, but 3GB per GPU is usable. Same goes for 7990. Even if you had 20 7990s, your VRAM would be mirrored for each GPU. So 3 x #GPUs / #GPUs = 3 again.

Concerning the drivers, they're coming in June, so...until then, if OP doesn't like VSync, he can use VSync + FPS capping temporarily, although I myself will keep using VSync + FPS cap, driver or no driver.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm waiting to see if the June driver improves the crossfire stuttering. If so, I'll buy another 7950. Op, crossfire seem to struggle from stuttering atm, something to keep in mind.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    gtx 670 vs gtx 680 is about as close in performance as hd 7950 vs hd 7970. with overclocking the gap narrows even slightly more (good oc on a hd 7950 easily takes it past hd 7970 ghz performance).

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    eclap, I got CrossFire, just turn on VSync, cap your FPS, no microstutter. People overexaggerate things, and nobody tests with VSync on and FPS capping, unfortunately.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, I'll still wait for drivers and then decide. I'm hoping 2x hd 7950 can hold 60fps in most games maxed (or with some AA reduction).

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    They do. Verified. They hold 60FPS 99% of the time in Metro 2033, maxed out (even with 4xMSAA, Tessellation, DoF).

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Thanks mate. So there you go op, hd 7970 crossfire. Can't go wrong.

14. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    I agree, that's why I asked him what's wrong with the 680's. First 6950 I bought back in the day, died within a week but it's replacement was going strong for 2 years without issue. So changing brand just for that does not make sense. If I were him, I would go with two 670's which would be a lot cheaper than what he had.

15. Andrew Neilson

Andrew Neilson Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 CU II
    Just to answer this poster first. I didnt know that Vram doesn't work together? I have 8 gig of Vram on my GTX 680s...Granted if I dont try to SLI they run jsut fine. But my issues come from trying to SLI them because as I noticed the performance increase is huge. When I got it running on 1 screen only, I tried all my games an nothing would work in SLI except for EVE online. I dont know why. But in SLI it gave me 497 FPS, in normal mode it gives me about 200-270.

As for 7970's Do they work ok, or am I just gonna have same issues again ? I know for my Xfire on my saingle 6990 it worked jsut fine, though it was twitchy at times. And I did end up with that bug where it crashes the catlylist app so you cant access the Xfire page....

But before I got that bug spanning across my 3 screens worked really well.

Here is the story background so you guys might understand what I am dealing with

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=378056

edit
    just a quick add, I have actually tried every combination you can think of, an nothing works. When I rang the company I bought it all off, they are fighting with the suppliers for me over it in hopes of getting a refund under laws of Australia where something that doesn't work as advertised they have no choice but to take it back. So I am crossing my fingers.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    OP, you need to answer all my questions so that we can see if we can solve this issue.

17. Andrew Neilson

Andrew Neilson Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 CU II
    1.I tried everything as I linked in that post above this, you can see if you open the link. I already made a thread about it here :).

2.I had a single ATI PowerColor 6990 before I bought the GTX's

3.Did 2 formats clean both times, Windows 8 (Windows 7 wouldn't install with my new HHD's an no way in hell I was gonna dump 800$ of SSD's just so I could install Windows 7.

4. Tried 4 different drivers from currant on backwards

5. When I got the cards the first day someone on the Nvidia forum told me I needed to use GPU Tweaks utility software to upgrade the Vbios because the CUII TOP cards bios wasnt working proply with SLI. So I did exactly line for line as told on how to upgrade Vbios, an the damn program they use is junk. It crashed both times in the install phaze. Bricking both cards.
    (SLI did not work before upgrading Vbios)

Luckily the shop was able to reflash my bios's with the backup up version I had, which got them working again.

6. As I said Got SLI working on one monitor, by having to use HDMI cable in screen 3 because it wouldn't accept anything els for some strange reason. Tried several bridges an no change.

7. As for why I am never buying Nvidia again (Asus) easy, because I spent thousands of dollars on Asus gear, an the only thing that works is the Motherboard which cost more than the sound card. Yet out of the all gear I bought that is RoC/Asus only the board works as its meant to.

Now if I can figure out what company's Cards to buy for my 7970's I will be a happy chappy :).
    I was thinking Sapphire or maybe XFX???...

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I read what you said in that topic. You didn't mention everything that you have just mentioned now.

Avoid XFX and Gigabyte. Voltage locked.

Go for Sapphire or MSI. Sapphire have the Dual-X and the Vapor-X. MSI have the TFIII.

The Vapor-X is a non-reference card that's excellent. You can't install an aftermarket cooler or waterblock on them and they tend to be more expensive than the rest.

The Dual-X and TFIII are AMD reference cards that are very good. You can install an aftermarket cooler or waterblock on them.

All three should overclock to similar levels, if they have the same ASIC. All three are GHz Editions cards as well. The regular 7970 is mostly phased out.

I'd recommend the Vapor-X if you're sticking to air cooling (their[/b cooler).

19. Andrew Neilson

Andrew Neilson Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 CU II

ahh thank you very much mate, I apologize if I sounded rude or short, it wasn't meant to, jsut alot of frustration over last few months. When I get my ATI cards I am gonna throw away all my cables, all the PC cables an buy new ones so everything is new. What cables would you suggest for the video cards ?. I assume I have to use same setup as 69090 ?, display port adapters?

20. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'd recommend considering a Sapphire Flex if you're going triple monitor (I own one myself, and for what it's worth it's a cracking card), makes things easier and removes the need for displayport adapters. That said, it sounds like a potential Windows 8 issue with multi-monitor. It might be better for you to grit your teeth until a fix rolls out, changing to AMD might not help.