Galaxy S IV confirms Exynos 5 Octa CPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Well, not exactly a secret but Samsung Galaxy S IV makes an appearance in Antutu Benchmarks, both the Korean variant (SHV-E300S) and the International variant (GT-I9500). According to the benchmarks ...

Galaxy S IV confirms Exynos 5 Octa CPU

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'm afraid that by having S4 presentations and allowing the leaks (may it be real or fake leaks as with S3), they effectively decreased Note2 sales. I was about to get it and now it doesn't look that appealing. 2 of my friends have exactly the same experience.

3. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I'm mostly curious about how the exterior design of the phone will be. The S3 really didn't do it for me with its rounded edges and whatnot.

4. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'd expect something in S3 style, perhaps with some motives from Nexus 10. The most of the people I was talking to liked S3 design more than S2. Personally, I do hope they'll focus on basic handling a little more, as I feel that S2 was easier to handle than S3.

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I got my s2 a couple of months after the s3 release on an a reasonable contract with the intention of getting a good deal on an upgrade in the future, like the s4.
    Yeah i didn't like the girly curves of the s3 neither.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5" display?! :-O I hope they don't use the designed for humans line again.

7. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    SGS3 has 4.8" screen and I can easily use it with one hand - the size is ok. If the bottom off-screen part of Note/Note2 was a little smaller, then it wouldn't be an issue either; these also have some features that you can adjust to make them usable with 1 hand, eg during-call-keyboard that can be moved to bottom-right so you can use it with 1 hand only.

I wouldn't be worried too much. Unless you have tiny palms, SGS3 screen works just fine, and I think that that extra 0.2" won't make it worse. For people with bigger palms, Note screen is usable with 1 hand except for one of the top corners, once you get used to it.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

I think its this and it looks very good if true :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  9. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    Does anybody know if they're sticking with one or two designs this time? By that I mean with the S2 AT&T, T Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon all had their own versions with minute changes to the case, not to mention an "international version" and Skyrocket version. Or is that just something I should get used to?

Was it like that with the S3? I own a S2 but my carrier never got an S3 because they're living in a cave banging rocks together. :)

10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I'm just praying they stop around 5" screens. My N4 (4.8" screen) fits in my pocket just fine, but if it were any longer, it would probably start to be an issue comfort wise. They have the Note line for those people that want crazy big phones. When I say "they" though, I'm kinda hoping all manufacturers get the hint.

11. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    that side profile is very apple-isque

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I can't see the s4 looking like that at all if I'm honest.

13. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Wonder if it will have on screen buttons, I seriously hate them, absolutely awful idea.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It probably won't, but why do you hate them? I'd rather have the screen take up the entire phone if possible then have a lip with buttons.

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Because they are a ball ache when typing, they are hidden when you need them, especially the back button. I have android devices with and without, with is a hell of a lot better.

16. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Definitely agree. I got a Nexus 4, my first phone with on screen buttons. Its a pain sometimes. Since there is no such thing as an all screen phone (no bezel) they should put capacitive buttons at the bottom. The only device on screen buttons make sense on is a tablet. If there ever is an all screen phone, I may let it slide.

17. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Oh, yes, that's more down my alley. Simple and clean. I don't care if it looks like an iPhone. I don't like the iPhone itself, but the exterior design of it is great. Of the current generation I prefer HTC. They're perhaps not very exciting, but oh so clean. I also prefer IPS over OLED and its terrible white level accuracy.

18. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    They'll go with something more rounded, as such shape leads to better tensile forces distributions = more durable. Regarding white level - it's not a problem with OLED, really, but the way it's used. Samsung decided to go over the top with contrast and saturation. There's no certain answer if it's good or bad, as on one hand they lost the color accuracy (photos) and on the other they improved readability and contrast of UI elements and web sites. If you want better color accuracy, set S2 screen mode to Movie, and in S3, do that + disable automatic screen adjustment (a technique they added so it boosts dark detail in conditions they might be less visible due to external light - again accuracy vs usefulness).

I changed my S2 to Movie mode some time ago just for test and I couldn't get used to it for some time. The decreased level of detail was noticeable and made general clicking more troublesome, especially in really bright exteriors. Photos looked better though, but rather in interiors (phone, not taking photos), where there was lower external light impact on what you can see on screen. Yet, I'm not sure which mode I like more. I'll probably test it for like 2 weeks more and go back to Samsung defaults.

It's a trade-off and before they come up with a screen that doesn't reflect light at all, they have to balance the screen contrast properties between color accuracy in dark and screen usability in bright area. Therefor in my opinion you cannot measure phone screen accuracy, as the measurements are usually performed in perfect-dark, which has very little to do with how you use the phone. It'll be subjective - just like or not like instead of raw numbers. And if you're hardcore, you can prepare your own mDNIe profile for the colors exactly as you want.

19. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Cannot wait, I'll be buying if it has a Micro SD slot and Removable battery too, those are the most important thing to me though.

The bigger the screen the better tbh.

20. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    If that's correct, looks very nice.

But I just don't see the point of having all that cpu/gpu juice, with no proper controls for gaming.

Touch screen just does not touch handheld devices like the PSVITA that do Touchscreen with proper controls.