Come into some money....time to upgrade...sort of

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stalkerfan, Apr 22, 2013.

1. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Hi Guys

Got some extra cash coming my way so was going to upgrade some bits of my PC.

A new GPU is a must and am going with a 7970.

My real question is my CPU......should i go for an FX8350 (which i think will go in my existing MB...i currently have a Phenom II X4 965) or go for an Intel cpu which would mean a new MB also.

What i mean is, with out spending ridiculous amounts of money on a CPU, will the 8350 keep me happy for a while?

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    If you go AMD I would suggest the 8320 and a good cooler and overclock the piss out of it with a single GFX card you really won't see a difference between IB and PD. And yes it should work on your mobo the 990FX chipset were developed for the FX line of cpu's (it may need a BOIS update though).

3. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Just get new gpu.

4. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Well i guess if, gaming wise, i wont see much performance gain changing cpu's then maybe i dont have to.....

5. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Grab the 7970, if games like BF3 and Crysis 3 on ultra with v-sync off do not use 100% of the 7970 then you will need to upgrade the cpu in order to use it.Lets say you are using 85% of the 7970 then i would upgrade yeah.

Some games like Arma 3 will definitely ask for the FX.There is no reason to go Intel if you have a motherboard sitting there.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  6. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Hmm makes sense.....looks like ill go the FX and new GPU...thanks guys :)

7. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Just read the G3D review onthe FX. Seems the per core performance is a bit of a letdown so will just grab the GPU for now me thinks.

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'd do a CPU upgrade, the 6850 should still hold very well right now. Your CPU, not so much.

deltatux

9. ^ I agree somewhat, the 6850 is decent but upgrading couldn't really hurt with some of the newer content on the market; but unless you're a graphics whore like me I wouldn't spend the greater amount of cash you got on graphics, but you say a 7970 is a must so is what it is. A lot of content out there is very cpu intensive, esp with quite a few PC games being poorly coded ports here and there. I'd focus on the cpu and then see what you have left over for graphics, maybe save a little more cash and then upgrade to a better gpu solution a little later down the road, I'd imagine AMD's releasing their newer graphics sometime this year. Which would likely drive down the price of current gen a little I'd assume...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
  10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    FX performs well in newer games such as Crysis3, ArmA III, BF3, and no doubt BF4 that take advantage of all cores.

In older releases like Skyrim (which uses a 5yr old engine) the FX is about the same as Phenom II.

You could get a new GPU and keep the 965 for the moment, it should overclock to 4Ghz easy anyway. Steamroller will be coming out at the end of this year if you can wait till then.

However should you decide to go with an FX now, the 8320 is the best value. Cheaper than 8350 and performs the same.....

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Upgrade GPU First...

965 will still run any game.

12. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Yeah gonna grab GPU first then id say with money gained from selling my old GPU i could grab the FX.

13. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    *edit*
    Trying to squeeze in an SSD too.
    So if i do....i install operating system and games on it only......and use my 2TB normal drive for everything else?

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Most games don't really benefit from being on an SSD. I would use the SSD for the OS and your programs such as Office, Steam, CCleaner, etc, or whatever software you use. Then use the 2TB drive for Games and other media files like music and movies, etc. Steam now allows to install games on different hard drives (about time!). Just make sure you keep the HDD defragged, and never ever defrag the SSD also change your Page File to the HDD as well to help save some write performance on the SSD or just disable it all together with 8GB RAM you will be fine with no PF.

15. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Thanks mate!

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I agree....

17. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    I would grab the 8350 and the 7970. I came from a Phenom 2 1090t and this I5 blows it away. I've got to play with these cards on an 8350 as well and that seemed up to snuff.

18. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Yeah read that the 3570K is pretty good.....would love to go Intel but cant quite squeeze enough cash for a new mobo :(

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hi where are you buying from?

20. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Get all my stuff from Tastech....great price and easy to pick up etc :)