Solid State... will it ever come down?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pigchild, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Does anyone anticipate that soon we may see a sharp price drop in SS hard drives? Most other hardware this last 3 years has had big price reductions, but SS just seems to hardly ever go down.

I have no use for TB storage, but an affordable 320Gb SS would be perfect if not so crazy expensive.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    they are already a lot cheaper than they were 2 years ago. still a bit of a luxury item so it'll take some time.

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Really, prices are so much lower than a couple of years ago.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    ^this and ^^ this

5. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    And that. :)

They are so cheap these days, just boot the OS with a small one, lets say 60GB and use 1TB for all the rest.

I still remember when i bought my Intel 80GB X-25 for 225€, which is still alive in good health.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  6. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    They have a little, but nothing like the price reductions seen with RAM and other hardware. 2 years ago I had thought mechanical drives would have been obsolete by now. I guess some people still have use for them, but to me its like buying a tube TV to put in a state of the art entertainment center.

They keep adding capacity to these old platter drives in order to hook people into buying them. This diverts attention from the fact they are slow as a slug. I will take speed over capacity any day, then for movie storage use a TB external drive. As for op system, games, and programs. I want them on SS for speed of access and better boot time.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    For the same size, they have halved in price and doubled in performance (transfer rate) in 2 years.
    My old Vertex 2 60GB was £120.
    Modern faster 60GB drives start at £47, averaging about £60.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Part of the reason is the infrastructure to produce RAM is already in place, and RAM doesn't really change much (comparatively speaking) in each generation. SSD's are still advancing, in terms of building and paying off production facilities, and developing new types of cells to store the data. Each time the cell changes, the production equipment needs updating, meaning it has to be replaced. This does not mean the prices won't come down, it just means it may not be as noticeable as with other technologies.

It has really become a necessity for new computers to come with a SSD, despite what some people may try to argue. I would argue though that 120GB is really 'needed', since 60GB is too little to hold Windows, programs, pagefile (no arguments about pagefile necessity here), etc. Then of course the default location to install programs and files on, and the location of documents, movies, and music files is on the SSD, which is less than optimal in terms of space management.

SSD's are beginning to encroach on the SATA3 limits, so it would be interesting to see when the next specification is released and what effect that will have on drive prices, and drive performance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013
  9. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    SSD prices have gone down quite a bit in the last two years. You can get a 360Gig SSD for $314 US or about $0.87 cents per gig. Honestly that isn't a bad price.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    512 GB for £300 was good for me. Vertex 4 :p

11. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I want a 500GB SSD but I need them to come down just a bit more :D

12. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Was better to bite the bullet I think. Awesome drive though, even if it is running at SATA 2 speeds.

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Same here, I have my OCZ Agility 3 240GB SATA 3 running on a SATA 2 and its still amazingly fast. Can't wait til I upgrade to Haswell (i7 4770K) and finally get SATA3 for a nice boost in speeds :)

To the OP, SSD's are pretty cheap, because people mainly use them as OS boot drives and put all their programs, games, movies and music on a normal mechanical HDD.

I like others here long for the day when we can pick up 1TB SSD's for the same price as 1TB HDD's now! Unlike certain drives which cost a bomb, just look at the OCZ Revo PCI-E SSD Cards... The 940GB goes for nearly £800!!!

14. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    This^

I picked up a 120GB Intel 330 series for $125 USD

Well it's clear you must not have any actual storage needs. Using an SSD for storage is idiotic, wasteful and expensive because the speed is not needed.

Really? They keep adding capacity to hook people? Tell me please how I am going to make my 10TB storage server with SSDs instead of HDDs and not have it cost $10,000+

15. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    SSD's to me are really for OS and programs + games, Although even with games these days you lose the speed as they all need to connect online which slows everything down anyway.

I dont see the need to ever go above 250gig on an SSD.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Bill Gates didn't see the need for more than 640kb ram.

17. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I have a 60gb one. Want a 1tb ssd for 100/200€.

18. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Way to miss the point.

Would you rather that your main storage is 1MB/s.
    Or would you rather that storage tech had advanced?

20. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    ...What? That doesn't make any sense at all....

My post said "People want many things, doesn't mean we'll be able to get them any time soon"

Does that say never?

Last time I checked, hard drive technology didn't just one day go to SATA3, 10,000RPM and 4TB.

It's a gradual thing