MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    First off mate, watch the tone okay ?
    Secondly .. complain to AMD about that one. It's not the OC software.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

No ideas. MSI didn't want that and I'm no longer doing the same errors as I did in EVGA Precision development and no longer add free features myself.

3. Unwinder

If you think that Crossfire users dominate on the market, you're really mistaking. Not like it - not use it, simple as ABC.

4. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Im just being logical, what happens if guy with 2 MSI 5870s wants to overclock there cards ? for software thats built for MSI cards ??

or is the software just built for MSI nvidia cards ?

5. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ahh its k mate i understand now, your software is built for single cards only.
    why didnt you say that.

What about that GPU Voltage Tweaking Tool floating about
    it worked perfectly setting both voltages on the 4890 cards by sending commands to rivatuner ? or it could be that the bios`s are totaly diffrent.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  6. Bhairava

Bhairava Guest

GPU:
    2x 5850
    Uhm, i understand. That's a pity. Anyway, what i like especially is the dynamic fan control. Evga Precision would be perfect with that.
    I have one more question: the minimum downclock allowed for my gtx280 is 575/1050/865. Is not possibile to unlock it?

7. Unwinder

Software is built for multi-GPU systems as well. For properly implemented multi-GPU systems. And AMD have a tallent of doing the things causing issues and they by far behind NV from internal software and technologies implementation POV.
    Read, read once again, think, _then_ post.

Is 4890 a 5xxx card?

8. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Yes, "MSI" Afterburner is built for MSI graphics cards only. If any problem or bugs happens on non-MSI graphics cards because of Afterburner, MSI has no responsibility to solve or fix it. :)

9. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ok. i get it, was just excited to get a overclocking tool with 5870 support only to find out its pritty much crippled when useing more that 2 58xx cards.

ohh well the search continues.

10. Unwinder

That technology is also inside EVGA Precision for a while, BTW. Just locked due to marketing reasons, because the tool is positioned as beginner oriented one.

Minimum allowed clock speeds are stored into digitally signed database so you cannot unlock it. However, MSI can easily release new version with different database, if they find a it reasonable. Why do you need lower clocks? That's 3D clocks anyway and graphics clocks throttles itself anyway. Or you've got a system where NVIDIA's downclocking is not working (dual monitors?) and wish to implement your own downclocking scheme?

11. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Unwinder question

Having full access to MSI tech support ect ect
    with your program

could you get them to release a bios thats got its GPU clocks unlocked
    aswell as fixing the voltage under crossfire issue ?

or is that not possible.

see if we can get that bios we can flash our cards to it
    all we would need to do is rename the ID`s so that the bios says the type of card we have for instance Sapphire, Asus ect ect.

12. Bhairava

Bhairava Guest

GPU:
    2x 5850
    Oh that's cool, but i guess it's not possible to unlock it, right?

Nope, i saw the Automatic Profiles Management, so i tried to set a custom 2d/3d switch. To do that of course i need to set a 2d profile. Not important, just a curiosity. :)

13. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz

Sorry for being rude and if you knew me well you'd know it takes alot. How disrespectful are you? Do you even have any idea how much work it is to create something like this. I'm not trying to defend anyone or cause a debate but the least you could do is have an open mind, give it a try. If you dont have any bug reports or complaints then why complain about the program itself. I have 3 5870's working with this software as we speak. It's great. I use gpu tool for clocks, and then I use unwinders program for voltage tweaks and fan speed. I can even access each card manually/individually. I've been reading about this for a while and I'm not the least bit unsatisfied. Cheers!

14. Unwinder

Overdrive area in BIOS must be signed by AMD prior to releasing a BIOS by vendor. AMD decides if they allow higher clocks setting in a BIOS or not. So having just MSI's own desire to release overclockable BIOS is not enough.
    Also, use the logic, how do you expect to "fix" the voltage? The second GPU is just sleeping in this mode, the same applies to VRM. The only ways to bypass new technology would be either re-applying voltages during 3D application runtime as I mentioned above or disabling this Crossfire powersaving technique.

15. Unwinder

Using automatic profiles management to manage clocks on your system has no sense. The system affects 3D clocks only on power management capable graphics cards. It is more a solution for those who don't have hardware 2D/3D clocking implementation (e.g. 8800GTX series). It also allows to define 100% fan speed just for 3D applications, that's why I use this system.

16. Bhairava

Bhairava Guest

GPU:
    2x 5850
    Unfortunately 2d/3d switch defined by Nvidia is not working very well. The card often stays at 3d clock after closing games. Sometimes bumps to 3d opening Live Messenger or Skype. With latest drivers situation is better, but still there are problems. Anyway, thank for your answers.

17. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    This is what I've managed overall.. Reads all three.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Bhairava

Bhairava Guest

GPU:
    2x 5850
    OMG a tri-cross system!

19. Unwinder

Nope, it is impossible to unlock it by user. It must be unlocked by vendor first.

20. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nice system what voltage are you running them cards at for a 1000core clock ? 1.4v ?

also what fan speed ?

I have that amd tool running and i cant figure out how to select 1.4v lol all i got for selections are idle and default 3d clocks ???

cheers.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.