CCC Settings (Normal & _NA Enabled) and Their Registry Values - My Rough Findings

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Bat_Zonko, May 2, 2012.

1. Bat_Zonko

Bat_Zonko Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    This is a rough doc of what registry values change depending on what settings you have enabled in the CCC.
    These are with the 8.97 Betas, clean install, and a 7950 Card.

=====
    In Windows 7, look under
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

This is a rundown of the CCC registry settings that I have puzzled out from the toggling/tinkering.
    A few of these CCC settings will only show up if you set the _NA registry value to 0. And a lot of those _NA registry values are in both the intial ControlClass area and the UMD area.

The assumption on all these and the CCC controls are that all the _NA values have been enabled.

AAF - Controls the Edge or Straight AA types. See the AAF_Value_Set to see what they can be. 30 00 is Standard, 33 00 is Edge

AdaptiveAAMethod - Nothing in the CCC seems to effect this value.

AnisoDegree - Sets the AF override value. See the _Set for values. 30 00 is app controlled.

AnistotropyOptimise & TrilinearOptimise - The useless optimizaiton routines for filtering. Always should be 30 00

AnisoType - No CCC setting effects this. Driver default is 30 00
    • The CCC defaults this to 30 00 when you change any of the AF settings.
    • RadeonPro sets this to 31 00 as a unconfigurable default.
    • To change it you need to edit the RadeonPro profile XML file.

AntiAlias - Appears the 31 00 is application controlled. 32 00 is Override. Probably 30 00 is disable

AntiAliasSamples - Set the values to use when the above is 32 00. _SET has values.

AreaAniso - Set to 30 00 by default. Only set to 31 00 when the HighQualityAF toggle in the CCC is checked. This toggle is only activated when the AreaAniso_NA is set to 0

ASD - See Note (1)
    ASE - See Note (1)
    ASTT - See Note (1)

Note (1) - These are the settings dealing with the Adaptive AA and the Supersample AA. The following is the effect of using the Overall AA slider.
    • When Standard AA is set in the CCC, the ASD value is 2d 00 31 00 (-1), both ASE and ASTT are set to 30 00.
    • When Adaptive AA is set in the CCC, the ASD value is 31 00, the ASTT is 31 00 and the ASE is 30 00
    • When SuperSample is set in the CCC all these are set to 31 00

If you simply toggle the Enable Adaptive AA box then the ASD stays at the standard 2d 00 31 00 (-1) value, and the ASTT setting is set to 31 00.
    Note: If you are using the Standard CCC view and not the Advanced CCC view, then the Gaming Image Area has Adaptive AA as a option seperate from the AA Mode. Not sure what enabling this outside of the overall Adaptive AA would do for your​
    ATMS - This is the Adaptive AA filter setting. The DEF value is 1 (Smooth +1). All values: Smooth 30 00, +1 Smooth 31 00, +2 Smooth 32 00, +3 Smooth (Sharp) 33 00.
    • Radeon Pro for some reason sets this to -1 ( 2d 00 31 00) as a unconfigurable default, to change it you need to edit the RadeonPro profile XML file.

EQAA - Sets the Eq AntiAlias option for the 6000+ series. Toggled to 31 00 when the CCC AA is set to enchanced, or a Eq override.

GI - Geometry Instancing. Should always be on. On 31 00

HighQualityAF - Set to 31 00 by default at driver installation. Nothing in CCC changes this (The CCC HighQualityAF toggle does not effect this)

MLF - Morphological AA setting. 30 00 Off, 31 00 On

MVPU - Crossfire settings. Someone who has a Crossfire setup would need to check these out.

SwapEffect - Even after Googling I am not sure what this effects. My _DEF value is 0 and that is what I left it at.

TemporalAAMultiplier - In order to enable this in the CCC you need to the TemporalAAMultiplier_NA to 0.
    • The only way I can see this entry in the CCC is to set the CCC Prefences to Standard View (in Advanced it is covered up by the Mode Pulldown).
    • To enable the Toggle Button, set the AA to Override.
    • Seems to have two values. Disabled is 30 00 and Togggled is 32 00.
    • Never tested, so no idea if even works or if is even worth fooling with.
    TextureLod - MipMap quality. HQ is 30 00, Q is 31 00

TextureOpt - Set to 30 00 by default. Nothing in CCC seems to effect it.

TFQ - The Catalyst AI quality setting. 30 00 is HQ

VsyncControl - The Vertical Sync setting that is useless in the CCC. 31 00 Off program controls, 32 00 On Program Controls, 33 00 Always On, 30 00 Always Off

======

Nothing much new from my other thread asking about what do these do, just a little cleaner. And figuring out that RadeonPro sets the ATMS to -1 for some reason.
    I am wondering if that is what was going on with KoA when I made that thread. I am going to edit the RadeonPro profile so that the ATMS value matches one the CCC would set and see what happens.

As far as I can tell, only the ATMS and the Anisotype are set differently in RadeonPro versus the CCC settings. You can easily edit the RadeonPro XML profiles and change the values to what you want them to be, or remove them if you do not want RP to alter your settings. Just know that every time you make a change to that XML in RadeonPro it will overwrite your edits.

Edit: Man, getting the formatting to stick and not look too goofy is giving me flashbacks to using WordPerfect for DOS.

Bats

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Interesting work.

So do you think RadeonPro users needs to change their Ansio value to 30 and their ATMS values to match what level of Adapative/Supersample AA that CCC uses ??

Reason i ask is i use RadeonPro to enable Adaptive AA in BF3 and it works well.
    If know supersample works also, so if they work why do you think these differences exsist between CCC & RadeonPro values ???

3. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    oh regarding your other thread here

you posted this re the ATMS setting
    So is RadeonPro reporting this correctly ?

edit**
    RadeonPro global profile seems to report the AnsioType correctly as its set to 0 by default

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  4. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    I'm not sure, but the _NA values means show/hide setting in CCC (work only for few values).
    You must find the main value.

For example:
    MLF_NA 0 - show in CCC, 1 - hide in CCC
    MLF 31 00 - enabled, 30 00 - disabled
    MLF_DEF - default settings (0 disabled, 1 enabled?)

5. Bat_Zonko

Bat_Zonko Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    In the other thread I when was looking at the ATMS setting in the Registry, I was looking at what RadeonPro had it set as for my Global Settings (which is Application Controlled AA and Standard MSAA).

With that as my Global Setting, RadeonPro set the ATMS as this in the Global XML profile:
    <Property name="ATMS" value="-1" />

That is what I read as the initial value in the other thread, I did not do a thorough check of what the CCC sets that value to.

RadeonPro will set that ATMS to -1 as a default value in all my profiles, no matter what AA level I set it at.

The CCC sets this as 1 on a fresh install (the value of the ATMS_DEF). After I enabled the Adaptive AA slider and begin changing the value, that is where I got the Smooth +1, +2, etc values.

I do not know if setting this to -1 has any negative effect. I just found it interesting that RadeonPro set it to that value at all times.

As for the range of values (0 to 3), I personally cannot see any difference that may not be attributed to the slight change in shadowing from screenshot to screenshot when I set that values from 0 to 3.

On the AnisoTyp, I should have been a little more clear on what RadeonPro does on my settings.

On my RadeonPro Global Settings I have Ainso Filtering set to Application Control. With that setting, RadeonPro has the AnisoType in the XML profile set to 1.

In the CCC when I set the Aniso Filtering to Application Control, it sets the AnisoType to 0.

In RadeonPro (Global or Game Profile) when I set the Aniso Filtering to override, it will set the AnisoType to 0.

I am just guessing, but it looks to me like AnisoType set to 0 is the normal setting. The only time AnisoType has been set to 1 has been when I set the AnisoFiltering in RadeonPro for Application Control, and that doesn't match the CCC setting.

Bats

6. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Japamd and TwL knew this information from a very very very long time ago.

Ping Japamd, he knows whats working and whats not.

7. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

please someone knows the flipqueue (render ahead) value ?

8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
  9. Bat_Zonko

Bat_Zonko Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    I'm guessing you mean the FlipQueueSize entry in the UMD Key area?

I've only had it created by either ATI Tray Tools and/or RadeonPro.

As far as I know it is never created on driver installation and I do not know what the default value would be. Going assumption is that the driver default is 3.

The entry is a binary value, this is my FlipQueueSize entry. It is set to 1 becaue that is what I have been using.

The string does show up in the DLL's, but I do not if this even effects anything. I cannot discount placebo effect with my setting of 1. I've just always got in the habit of having at 1 or 2.

Bats

10. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

mhmh thanks, but i don't understand the value to change to set flipqueue to 0, 1, 2 or 3.

it's usefull to play without vsync and to try to avoid tearing setting the flipqueue to 0.

11. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Flipqueue is prerender limit for Direct3D, also known as render ahead. Changing its value doesn't solve tearing...

Also don't set it at '0' <- it will make the render too much dependent on CPU..

Tearing is only avoided when the following takes place
    .Vsync is enabled
    .Co-incidental sync of frames from render

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  12. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

playing bf3 without vsync with prerender ahead set to 0 and framerate capped to 59 avoid 90% tearing..

13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    "FlipQueueSize"=hex:30,00 = 0
    "FlipQueueSize"=hex:31,00 = 1
    "FlipQueueSize"=hex:32,00 = 2
    "FlipQueueSize"=hex:33,00 = 3 (but at this point you wouldn't need to add this at all as that's the default value in the .dll)
    (reboot your PC once the change is made)

Also, the lower you cap the frame rate the longer it could takes to render in BF3. Turn on the render.perfoverlayvisibility (using True) and watch how it works on your PC. I suggest setting GameTime.MaxVariableFps to 70 (remove/disable vsync). That should remove the tearing as I've noticed the same. Making changes like this work best if you exit and restart the MP.

Edit:
    Assuming you can maintain a consistent 70 FPS at the resolution/IQ you have setup.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  14. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    You got a hefty CPU with high frequency, so setting it to zero will have lesser or no effect on performance.

But It has impact on CPU's with lower frequency.

15. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    1) Now I'm no expert and could be wrong, but as far as i've seen RadeonPro doesn't add the FlipQueueSize entry to the registry, its only ATT that does.

Does this mean that RadeonPro uses some other way of enabling/disabling the FlipQueueSize without modifying the registry ?

2) Just thinking out loud here, but is it possible to add the FlipQueueSize to just a certain game profiles in the registry ?
    Eg I want FlipQueueSize of 0 in BF3 (but not other games) can I make a 3dprofile in CCC for it, then add the FlipQueueSize 0 reg string to just that profile ?
    I don't even know if the game profiles for CCC work in this way tbh, i cant find any evidence of them in the registry.

Yes I know i can use RP or ATT to set flipqueue size on a per game basis, but as these tools are no longer supported i'd like some way of knowing i can change Flip Queue size without them if needed in the future !!!!!

Last edited: May 4, 2012

16. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    'd3dantilag' is not a good enough way to change the setting? (if it even works)

17. Bat_Zonko

Bat_Zonko Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    I've never tried that program. Seen it metnioned all over the place and have been meaning to check it out.

Hmm, looks like it runs by using a d3d9.dll injection process. That unfortunately limits what games I would/could use it in, since I run SMAA or the FXAA injector in almost anything that will let me (I have become addicted to using the FXAA Injector to tweak the IQ of games).

I can't test ATT since it crashes with my 7950 for some reason (hard crash too). But, RadeonPro does stick that FlipQueueSize entry in the registry as part of its Global Profile (if defined) and a Game Profile (if defined).

I think we are somewhat lucking out with AMD unified drivers that almost all the basic setting's names have remained the same. They are just implemented differently at a driver level. Morphological Filterng for example, the MLF registry entry for enabling it is the same, but it supposedly runs the 2.0 on the 7000s and the older version of MLAA on 6000/5000 cars.

That keeps RadeonPro still in the Sweet Tool category :)

Bats

18. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    oh it injects with the same dll filename?

19. Bat_Zonko

Bat_Zonko Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    Yep. Too bad, looks nice and compact and simple to use.

20. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    well someone needs to merge them then, since the injectors just load a shader post process, & antilag i assume tells the driver 'hey i want this # renderahead', skipping what the game tells the driver