Asus HD7870 DirectCU II Performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kugi_igi, Apr 4, 2013.

1. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Guest

GPU:
    ASUS DCUII 7870
    Hi Guys,

I'd like to ask questions before I make any actions that I'm really tempted to do immediately.I have an ASUS 7870. It's my first time to buy a GPU and I'm not familiar to what to expect from these things. I'm not satisfied with what I get from this card which I bought for almost 3/4 of my salary :bang: :D
    Below are the performances i get from games(mostly max settings @ 1920x1080)
    GTA IV with iCEnhancer 20-30 FPS
    Tomb Raider 30-40 FPS
    Crysis 2 30-40 FPS
    The Witcher 2(ubersampling off)45-50 FPS
    Crysis 3 25-30 FPS

I get 70-75C even the fan curve sets it to 100% at 70C.
    Right now I can't even play Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider without crashes. Both crashes after a few mnutes.I already asked couple of months ago and they said the power supply could be the culprit and I;m planning to replace it with a better one. I'm also planning to buy case fans too. I just want to ask if get the performance I should expect from my PC setup. Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions. ;)

My Complete Specs:
    Intel i5 3570k 3.4 Ghz
    Asus 7870 2GB
    8 GB Ram
    Asus V-LK
    Huntkey 600W

2. Progeny

Progeny Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 DC2T @ 1300 MHz
  3. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    1) Make sure your card is clean and maybe repaste it. My card can get to around 70c with fan speed of 55% or so but mine is overclocked.

2) As you say, your PSU could be the culprit. Download and run OCCT http://www.ocbase.com/. Inside is a PSU test which basically full loads your CPU, Memory and GPU. If your PSU is unstable it will crash and should give you a clearer picture of were your problem lies.

Good luck and keep posted!

4. seb4771

seb4771 Guest

Hi,

1. intel motherboard drivers installed ? (very important for rest of reply)
    2. using catalyst 13.1 ? 13.3 ?
    3. GT4 is badly programmed game of the world, ice enhancer is good for "users game running well without ICE".
    4. Crysis 3 slow VS crysis 2 ? strange because crysis 2 it's un-optimised game... or using ULTRA quality under crysis 3 but not for 7870 card :(
    5. Tomb raider with TRESS-FX or not ? (13.3 drivers gain +40% fps)

5. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Guest

GPU:
    ASUS DCUII 7870
    @PNeV I'll try to use OCCT and i'll post here the result.

@seb4771
    1. yes i have all the drivers installed
    2. I used 13.3 but I downgraded to 13.1 because I tried if it cause the crashes in Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider.
    3. The game plays smoothly without the ICENHANCER but I see videos in youtube that used similar GPU model and get better FPS than me when using ICENHANCER mod.
    4. I use Ultra settings on both Crysis but I use SMAA Medium in Crysis 3.
    5. Tress-FX is on. With it turned-off I get about 40+ FPS.

6. Valagard

Valagard Guest

A quick google of Huntkey power supplies shows they deal in 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% junk

It's probably the power supply

7. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Run Valley Benchmark and post the results here to do a comparison.
    Unfortunately I do not play any of the games you have mentioned

8. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Guest

GPU:
    ASUS DCUII 7870
    I got two different results in Unigine Valley benchmark.
    First I got
    FPS: 26.0
    Score: 1088
    Min FPS: 11.6
    Max FPS: 49.3

Then I tried again fresh from boot:
    FPS: 31.4
    Score: 1315
    Min FPS: 15.0
    Max FPS: 58.3

both were run with:
    Render: Direct3D11
    Mode: 1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
    Preset: Extreme HD

I encountered crashes when the GPU temp goes above 75c although the Unigine continues even after a driver crash.

9. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    My results are very much the same as what you report after reboot with the 13.3 beta.

I bought Tomb Raider a few days ago.
    Have been running the game on Ultra at 1080p.
    According to the benchmark results I get 31fps min, 40fps avg and 55fps max approx.
    To my eyes it looks smooth without staring at a fps counter.
    Cut scenes do get choppy at times when TressFX is enabled and camera is close up to Lara's hair.

Disable TressFX and fps dramatically increases.

Tomb Raider crashed once within 14 hours of gameplay and completion of storyline.

My ASUS HD7870 can reach 80degC in Sleeping Dogs, I am not sure what temperature the GPU is reaching in Tomb Raider but I do suspect it will be around the same temperature.

I do not believe your card is causing the crashes but the power supply not being able to sustain stable current to the whole system under load.

I know Huntkey do have a good range of power supplies but they also have a bad range as well.
    If the PSU came the with a case then yes it will most likely under perform for the wattage it states it is capable of.

10. rentalbrain

rentalbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor HD 7950
    Hey guys, what are your VRM temps 1 & 2 like in GPU-Z while gaming? Do they get much hotter than GPU temp?

11. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Guest

GPU:
    ASUS DCUII 7870
    Looks like I really have to replace my PSU. I'm also planning to buy few more chassis fans since I only have one at the back.
    Any suggestions for a good PSU? I want to make sure I can get it right this time :D Thanks.

12. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Anything Corsair is great

Their builder series is cheap and decent, their TX series is incredible and has a 5 year warranty

13. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Only a tiny bit :p
    [​IMG]

I imagine either GPU-Z isn't detecting my VRM temp properly, or I don't have a VRM temp sensor. I've been running at the same temp for almost a year now lol

14. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Guest

GPU:
    ASUS DCUII 7870
  15. rentalbrain

rentalbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor HD 7950
    lol, that's cool! Yeah, my vrm temp 2 seems stuck too which was my main concern....but looks like I'm not alone:)Thanks.

16. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Guest

GPU:
    ASUS DCUII 7870
    I stopped the crashes! ......by using an electric fan :D
    I think I didn't mention that I only have one chasis fan which is an exhaust at the back. It's summer here right now and it's really hot. Looks like that's causing the crashes. Now I'm thinking I'll just buy fans instead of a new PSU. What do guys think? Buying fans will save me a lot of money but I'm thinking that the PSU still is the root cause that it cannot handle the heat. Please help me decide. Thanks.

17. rentalbrain

rentalbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor HD 7950