AMD ATI Catalyst driver 8.7 XP/Vista download | discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by enessel, Jul 21, 2008.

1. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Actually youre wrong, this happens to all kind of different setups. Its been around since Vista came out. My system isnt oc´d at all. There is a 70+ page thread about this on DriverHeaven, there is a 10p thread on amd forums. Most of the users dont oc, and still have this. This is some kind of error with Vista and how it responds with the driver. I could not play any game for more than 5min on vista, on XP the system is rock solid stable. No issues at all.

This is also happening on intel/s3/matrox cards.

http://www.driverheaven.net/vista-r...driver-atikmdag-stopped-responding-error.html

2. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    Never happens to me

Its not vista or the driver I think....rather a certain configuration of hardware or software to be responsible... See if you can find a commonality between the configs mentioned and yours...

I run vista 64 ultimate with EVERYTHING OC'd, modded or tweaked... I had issues in the early going... solved by adding a 2nd PSU strictly for video card-s- after that I or my buddies can play for hours on end with no issues.... unless I get greedy and push somethin too hard... crash city is the result. I also ensure that all my drivers, software and bios' -including video- are totally up to date.

Strange that so many have the problem and myself and others do not....this is what leads me to beleive the issue is config specific...and not directly the fault of vista, ati or Nvidia. Eg. In ASUSland there was severe troubles with ppl that owned a razor mouse or keyboard. Beleive it or not these periperals of things brought a few 775 intel boards to their knees... took them a couple BIOS revs to iron it out....

Zyro

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  3. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I agree that in some instances it might be as you said, but not for all. Because there are so many different setups and so many different fixes that work for some few, but not most. I think there are many reasons for this to happen, but I know that many with the new HD4000 series specially have this issue on Vista. I know its not the hardware config, because if it was it would be unstable on XP as well, but it isnt. Every game works hours after hours of gaming. So for me its something with Vista and ati drivers. My other system with nvidia has ZERO issues on Vista.

4. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Took and modded the .inf files for the installation and the new 8.7 work just perfectly, actually a slight performance increase over the Cat 8.6 AGP hotfix.

Seriously, why ATI does not officially add the card to the list is beyond me since the drivers obviously work fine.

5. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    i have a severe micro stuttering here in every single movie (even at stock clocks), and i can not play any game except crysis (which is awesome with this drivers) until i gone to stock clocks , any suggestions would be appretiated ,TIA

6. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Hmmm....

WAY out there but WHAT IF.....

it has something to do with how vista manages power? or adjusts it maybe? I'm saying this wrong I know it so please hear me out I know Vista is all about the power saving and speedstepping etc... I have all of those features disabled and it helped a bit but the problems totally disappeared after I hooked up my 2nd PSU which is controlled via a switch and is in no way hooked to the board or its sensors in any way, only hooked to the 2 12V connectors on the card. Maybe its an emi thing...or some sort of flux that throws the card off in high end configs? I'm no electrician but that sounds almost hairbrained enuf to try.... whats there to lose? theres no cost involved... and it would help to narrow down the issue.... if even onnly a lil

Zyro

7. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    another quick thought.... is the board the ATi card sitting in NForce based by chance? I know it would never be officially stated and VERY difficult to prove.... but what if theres an issue between using an ATi solution on an NVidia based board? Not an outright crippling but a lack of optimization shall we say? One that gets very unstable in certain configs....say if ya crammed the enemy's card in its fiercest rivals board?

I need to get out more

Zyro

8. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    You could be right, or at least close. There has been a theory that it happens for an example when the card changes from 2d clocks to 3d clocks and back 2d clocks? And other power saving features, so this has been theorized before. So you might be on to something, the hard thing is to know what exactly is it you need to do?

9. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    I have some weird slowdowns in Grid with these ones.
    Back to the newer betas.

10. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    me too , those new drivers are suckkers :puke2: as i went back to 8.7 beta the overclocking is fine and no stuttering at all ,i think i will wait for the next release for crysis :bang:

11. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    i have just installed these drivers , i cannot believe how smooth crysis is on my system now :banana:

12. Tperk

Tperk Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 Matrix
    with these, after the fresh install. does A person have to add the hot fix?? thx

13. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    no it is included

14. Masterblaster79

Masterblaster79 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    Still can't get V-sync to work on Age of Conan. Seems to be hit and miss. Sometimes it will be on and sometimes it won't. I have it set to Always On in the CCC.

15. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    For my HD3850 UT3 has became even much more smoother in Vista 64, i update when i check more games.

16. Tloram

Tloram New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870 Xfire
    Strange, I have gone from 8.7 beta to the official 8.7 and now my Crysis is about 5fps less than on the beta! Haha.

I am running a dual 4870 in Xfire setup...

17. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Just ordered my second 4850 today, hopefully Xfire is worth it. :)

18. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead

whats the max fps you get with those gfx cards ? , max i get with a custom config i have done is 60.77 fps and min is 25.43 fps @ 1680x1050 . i wish i had 2x 4870's :( , well just one would do lol

19. DmZ

DmZ Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260@285 Speeds
    This might not actually be the drivers.

GRID 1.2 has a lot of problems. Especially for high-end systems. A lot of users are reporting slow downs in certain tracks (Le Mann's at Night for example) long before these drivers were released. That is, if you are lucky enough to even race for five minutes without it crashing to desktop... :rolleyes:

20. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    no it is the driver i played the whole game v1.2 with the 8.7 beta and i could not play 5 minutes with official 8.7